Un-ethanol Un-leaded chain saw fuel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone here has gone to ethanol (E10) don't really want to run it in the 2 stroke yard equip due to water content problems, as little gas as they use a fuel upgrade makes sense, from reading a few chainsaw forums 100LL avgas is popular high quality fuel that is a buck some odd more a gallon ($3.50 right now) easy enough to get at the local small airport, but despite the name "low lead" it has a bunch of lead in it. more than the leaded gas of the 70's, along with minor but real lead exposure for the operator it will also plug the cats/mufflers that some of my newer stuff has. I could get around the cats but there is still the lead exposure, looked into sunoco unleded gt 100race fuel but 15 dollars /gal is a bit stiff even in small amounts.

I'll probably wind up just running the e10 and be careful with how long it sits but what other kinds of off road gas are available?

How bout a home blend using Toluene and and other light hydrocarbons?

Most of the good stuff that I care about is newer than 1998, some have cats some don't.

Most EPA certified quality hand held outdoor power equipment should handle the Ethanol up to a 10% blend. The fuel lines with have Viton in them to reduce deteriation and the caburettr components are made from Mylar instead of viton or older rubber components.

Ethanol allows Phase seperation at a very fast rate. Phase sepreation is the seperation of the mix oil lubricats, the die and the other additives in the fuel. Take your mixed fuel and shake up the can. Pour some if the fuel into a clear see through container and cap it. "Baby food jars or Ball Canning Jars are great for this but I cannot recomend using Glass. In less than a week, you will see the seperation and the fluid will be in layers of density. Sometimes this is done overnight.

As all manufacturers recomend, shake you fuel can or mix it well before adding fuel to your equipment. It breaks up the phase seperation and blends everything as intended.

In CA they do not have to put the percentage of ethanol on the pump unless it exceeds 10%. So you can have up to 9% ethanol in the fuel and nothing on the pump.

There is no need to buy exotic fuel for you hand held equipment. They are all designed to run on 89 octane fuel.

The "Race" guys in Timbersports events use the highest octane pump gas in thier 68hp chain saws for the hot saw competitions. During the finals to determine the championship if it is close, they will step up to a hotter fuel. If they blow the saw, who cares as long as the win the purse.

that Phase separation is what scares me the most about ethanol, here with year round 95% humidity the fuel can be water saturated even before you buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom