ultragauge EM unboxing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ultragauge EM unboxing.
anyone using this thing? is using it dumb as rocks? any tricks?

8F91896D-034B-414B-BB60-6FDD87BD0279.jpeg

E7DA6C47-1F30-451A-8D53-F4FA21693E8E.jpeg

3325B86F-F812-4AD5-BFD3-BB77AAB3D30C.jpeg

EA890453-98B7-4C35-8716-53B792B522D4.jpeg

Mine is still sitting on the shelf. Haven't gotten to it yet but I recall reading something about unscrewing the OBDII port and turning it 90 degrees facing down so you can still put the cover on the fuse panel when it's plugged in. I also think there was a replacement port that had 2 locations to plug in (90 degrees from one another) so you could leave it plugged in facing down and there would still be an available port for emissions inspectors, shops, etc to plug into. Haven't gotten to it yet so haven't done the research.

I've had mine for a few years now. Works great.

yeah. thanks for the heads up. it’s quite a document.
if anything isn’t straightforward or there are more tips i am happy to hear from folks. looks great. that owners manual is a tad dense though.
You're not supposed to be afraid of big books. The more pages it has, the more information is contained within. Therefore more knowledge can be gained.

I've been using an UG for several years. Nice, cheap effective tool. I prefer it over the scanguage because of the larger display being easier to read at a glance when bouncing down rough roads. Just calibrate it for tire size and you'll be good to go. Lots of useful info can be displayed.

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

...I also think there was a replacement port that had 2 locations to plug in (90 degrees from one another) so you could leave it plugged in facing down and there would still be an available port for emissions inspectors, shops, etc to plug into. Haven't gotten to it yet so haven't done the research.
My understanding is that in Phoenix, emission stations take a dim view on anything that is plugged into an OBDII port, making it a reason to fail. Probably different elsewhere, but just a heads-up.

You're not supposed to be afraid of big books. The more pages it has, the more information is contained within. Therefore more knowledge can be gained.

since this is the internet i somehow find i want to make a sarcastic comment about this despite despising this kind of snark. or about it being big /words/ or something. but i find myself 100% in agreement!

i think maybe the trepidation in looking at this manual is the amount of information i have just bitten off in terms of understanding something like this vehicle. i now see there is a lot of technical knowledge in here but really this IS part of the reason i bought it. other than my vehicle throwing codes of course.

i mean if i just use it to read engine codes that’s one thing. but to really put some effort into using it fully that is going to be a pretty hefty amount of work. not sure if that makes sense or not.

anyway, would anyone mind helping the noob with suggestions on what to set for the 4 or 6 gauges on the home screen on this thing?

maybe a heads up on othe gauges that would be interesting to keep an eye on for the late 80’ s series LX/LC? i mean if i know what to look for i also know what else i need to study up on to get some understanding.

THANK YOU

jonathan

CD7D09A0-8EF2-425F-A922-017046987A0E.jpeg

since this is the internet i somehow find i want to make a sarcastic comment about this despite despising this kind of snark. or about it being big /words/ or something. but i find myself 100% in agreement!

i think maybe the trepidation in looking at this manual is the amount of information i have just bitten off in terms of understanding something like this vehicle. i now see there is a lot of technical knowledge in here but really this IS part of the reason i bought it. other than my vehicle throwing codes of course.

i mean if i just use it to read engine codes that’s one thing. but to really put some effort into using it fully that is going to be a pretty hefty amount of work. not sure if that makes sense or not.

anyway, would anyone mind helping the noob with suggestions on what to set for the 4 or 6 gauges on the home screen on this thing?

maybe a heads up on othe gauges that would be interesting to keep an eye on for the late 80’ s series LX/LC? i mean if i know what to look for i also know what else i need to study up on to get some understanding.

THANK YOU

jonathan

View attachment 1845750
You can set up multiple “pages” of gauges to display in the UG. Mine are setup to cycle through the pages every 20 seconds.
Here’s how I have mine setup. Some redundancy from one page to another because it’s info I want to see always.

Page1
Coolant Temp
MPH
Instantaneous MPG
Average MPG
Trip mileage
Distance to Empty

Page2
Coolant Temp
MPH
Long fuel trim 1
Short Fuel trim 1
Fuel Level
Eng Load%

Page 3
Coolant Temp
MPH
Intake temp
UG Voltage
Fuel Level
Distance to Empty.

Well, that's a good thing. Snark is my way and I believe I have cornered the market.

In any case, regarding the UG, you need to think of it as just a monitor. No matter how you set it up or what your configuration is, it will not change anything on the vehicle, with the notable exception of resetting error codes.

Plug it in, let it discover the available gauges, and simply play with it. You can change the displays to your hearts content until you find displays that work for you.

Keep in mind that not all of the gauges listed in the manual will be available to you. Your ECU is from the early 90s and is first generation OBD2.

Personally, I think the 3 most important things to monitor are coolant temp, MPG, and battery voltage. Everything else is pretty much fluff IMO, but it is fun to look at, as long as it doesn't become a distraction from actually driving the vehicle.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that's what makes the internet a magical place of wonder.

Well, that's a good thing. Snark is my way and I believe I have cornered the market.

In any case, regarding the UG, you need to think of it as just a monitor. No matter how you set it up or what your configuration is, it will not change anything on the vehicle, with the notable exception of resetting error codes.

Plug it in, let it discover the available gauges, and simply play with it. You can change the displays to your hearts content until you find displays that work for you.

Keep in mind that not all of the gauges listed in the manual will be available to you. Your ECU is from the early 90s and is first generation OBD2.

Personally, I think the 3 most important things to monitor are coolant temp, MPG, and battery voltage. Everything else is pretty much fluff IMO, but it is fun to look at, as long as it doesn't become a distraction from actually driving the vehicle.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that's what makes the internet a magical place of wonder.

thanks a lot for this jonheld.not sure what i was up to in that earlier thread. i guess when i am on the internet i am usually told to stfu and stop reading. nice to have someone suggest it is actually a good idea.

so here is my continuing documentation.

looks like i will put the battery in the home screen when i get less pre-occupied. in the meantime i have engine temp alert set to 220d F and battery alert at 10 Amps (i guess).

battery alarm should probably be higher i suppose. not sure about temp alarm setting though.

somehow it asked for engine size it liters which seemed weird. hope i didn’t screw it io.

anyone know a good way to mount this thing? was there a thread somewhere on modding the connector to close the fuse cover?

thanks for any and all input. they seem like a great company with amazing documentation so i don’t mind spreading the word while i get help.

9AE92F02-5ACD-4429-9B84-9B24089F1B6B.jpeg

FA222C32-D8C7-4DA0-91D5-82F9F30C7FFE.jpeg

11750B62-B3D5-44C9-BBBD-04FDC9957EC2.jpeg

2191DE00-30DE-4737-BF58-AFEBFC1760FE.jpeg

8C3C3679-BD5D-4358-932D-C6585F23384F.jpeg

I mounted mine on the lip of the dash between the vents. The cable runs behind the the dash and plugs into the OBD connector. I unmounted the OBD connector and moved it behind the fuse panel so the cover could snap on. When I need to go to the DMV for inspection I just normal it back up. Not a big deal to do every 2 years.

FusePanelClosed.jpg
OBDConnector.jpg
UGCloseup.jpg

I mounted mine on the lip of the dash between the vents. The cable runs behind the the dash and plugs into the OBD connector. I unmounted the OBD connector and moved it behind the fuse panel so the cover could snap on. When I need to go to the DMV for inspection I just normal it back up. Not a big deal to do every 2 years.

View attachment 1852726 View attachment 1852727 View attachment 1852728

thanks. that’s helpful to see. i’m fond of that little thing already.

so you unscrewed the obd, and basically dropped it behind the fuses? and the cord for the gauge drops down behind the dash somewhere and slips back behind the fuses so you can plug it in.

is the connector hanging in space or did you affix it somewhere? i guess some industrial velcro could work nicely here...

You can set up multiple “pages” of gauges to display in the UG. Mine are setup to cycle through the pages every 20 seconds.
Here’s how I have mine setup. Some redundancy from one page to another because it’s info I want to see always.

Page1
Coolant Temp
MPH
Instantaneous MPG
Average MPG
Trip mileage
Distance to Empty

Page2
Coolant Temp
MPH
Long fuel trim 1
Short Fuel trim 1
Fuel Level
Eng Load%

Page 3
Coolant Temp
MPH
Intake temp
UG Voltage
Fuel Level
Distance to Empty.

thanks a lot for the BR. i missed it originally but see it will be useful. didn’t quite see i can do multiple pages until i finally plugged it in today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom