U Joint Install / Shaft Balance Cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What might a fella expect to pay, on average, for a shop to install u joints and check the balance on a drive shaft (in my case, the front shaft in my '94)? Read on if you care to know my current debacle that's not entirely related to the cost of the above services...

This started as a simple troubleshoot to cure some driveline vibes. I'd already taken my rear shaft to Inland Truck to install new joints, retube and rebalance. All went well. I still had some minor vibes and, unfortunately, I'm unnecessarily picky. So I removed the front shaft for new joints and to check the balance. Same shop, different story.

1) I ordered the front u joints from Lowe Toyota and delivered them, with the shaft, to the above mentioned shop. As it turns out, I mistakenly received u joints for the rear shaft. Honest mistake. However, the shop failed to call and inform me, so I drove to the shop expecting to pick up the shaft.

2) I was greeted with "wrong joints". "No call?" I replied in an attempt to use the same abbreviated speak. I was told someone should have called me, which I was already thinking. Well versed in personal communication breakdown and complexities of the service industry, I employed self restraint and focused on moving forward. I was told new u joints were ordered and should arrive in two business days.

3) Two business days came and went, as did a weekend, during which I agonized over whether or not the shop ordered OEM joints. A phone call was also missing, so I stopped by the shop hoping, at the least, for a status update, but not thinking it unreasonable for a completed job.

4) "You never told us to install the joints we ordered." "I never told you to order the joints, but that didn't stop you", I said internally. I thought it a good time to ask what kind of joints were ordered, and I'm glad I did. "The cheapest we could find." I left under the condition that I would ascertain and deliver the correct OEM joints, the latter of which I did a few days later.

5) I wasn't quoted a completion date, so I called at the end of the following day. Incomplete. "This should be done tomorrow, we'll call." Two days passed, no call. I called (today) and, eureka, it was complete!

6) Anxious to have Bucksnort (the wife's name for the 80) back in normal operating condition, I immediately headed to the shop. I hesitantly handed over $140 to the cashier and headed to pick up the shaft. The technician retrieved it in all its clean, black gloriousness... IN PHASE. Not 100% confident of the front shaft's intended phasing, and unsure of whether or not it's standard practice to clean (sandblast?) and paint a shaft with new u joints, I headed out the door with the shaft in tow.

After immediately perusing 'Mud, I confirmed that the phasing is incorrect, and I know it was correctly out of phase when I dropped it off. I'm also left wondering if it was necessary for the shop to clean and paint it... to the tune of $140. I'll be taking it back to have to "rephased" and rebalanced.

I'm frustrated and needed a place to vent; and also thought my experience wouldn't hurt for folks who attempt the same path as me.

i order u joints from cdan fronts were 45 i think? maybe a hair more, cost 55 bucks to put them in no need to balance ... i would go somewhere else too, have a machine shop at ourchristys auto had them press um in here in gunny

I paid about $50 for the joints, you're right. I just got back from talking to the night shift guys. They looked at me like I'd just pooped on the floor when I asked them to balance it 90 degrees out of phase. Thanks to this site, I was able to articulate why it was 90 out from the factory. They took it and told me to call the weekend driveline guy first thing in the morning, and to be prepared to argue. I told them to write "do not argue" on the ticket. Here's a pic of the shaft...

image-2325004819.jpg
image-2325004819.jpg

Last edited:
NLXTACY said:
Wenco Industries - High Performance Driveshafts

Every driveshaft I have ever done, regardless of the vehicle or horsepower, Wenco has done. By far the best and the prices blew me away because I was always expecting it to be so much more expensive.

I should've thought to look for something like that. I figured the front shaft would be as simple as the rear. "Leave it to Toyota" was their explanation.

Stylo07: Regarding your question about sand/bead blasting the front driveshaft; I did this to my front shaft using glass beads (with the U-joints out of course), washed it well, then painted it using rattle can epoxy paint. The one photo you posted above appears to show a rough surface, was that taken after the shop blasted and painted it??

Kernal said:
Stylo07: Regarding your question about sand/bead blasting the front driveshaft; I did this to my front shaft using glass beads (with the U-joints out of course), washed it well, then painted it using rattle can epoxy paint. The one photo you posted above appears to show a rough surface, was that taken after the shop blasted and painted it??

Yes, it was taken after I got it back from the shop. However, when I gave it back to them tonight I asked them about it. They just put it through a parts cleaner and gave it a quick coat of black. The rough surface you noticed is remnants of the factory undercoating.

Finding a good drive shaft shop is tough
I went through similar issues with my first shop before I found a good shop
The first shop totally boogered up the new ujoints and had all kinds of excuses
The shop I go to now did not sand blast the shaft but they did clean it a threw a little black paint on it after they were done and also marked with a little white paint the front and the rear of the slip joint so if I did take it apart I had a reference point to put it back together the right way

Quick update: I called the morning driveline technician and asked if he could get the shaft 90 degrees out and rebalanced ASAP. I was heading out of town and wanted to get the unit back before leaving. He agreed without question. It's installed and, by my very unscientific estimation, 90%+ of the vibes are gone. It's good to have ABS back, too!

What have I learned? Nothing that hasn't been said before on this site. An "out of phase" shaft is seemingly rare - at least to Inland Trucking- so BE PREPARED TO MENTION THIS UPFRONT. It will save time.

doesnt this pick show the driveshaft "in phase"??
I paid about $50 for the joints, you're right. I just got back from talking to the night shift guys. They looked at me like I'd just pooped on the floor when I asked them to balance it 90 degrees out of phase. Thanks to this site, I was able to articulate why it was 90 out from the factory. They took it and told me to call the weekend driveline guy first thing in the morning, and to be prepared to argue. I told them to write "do not argue" on the ticket. Here's a pic of the shaft...

View attachment 594586

cost me just under $200 to have Toyota U joints installed and the shaft balanced. That incuded the cost of the U joints. That was a couple years ago.

I engaged the Center Diff lock and did one shaft at a time. Think I dropped off and picked them up the next day. Put one shaft on in their lot and removed the other and left it with them for pu the following day

scrowley said:
doesnt this pick show the driveshaft "in phase"??

Yes, that's after I picked it up from the shop. I returned it the next morning and asked them to balance out of phase 90 degrees, as it originally came. However, now I have vibes, so I'm going to try it in phase, after all... I'll post back with my results when I get the time to pull the shaft back out.

Romer said:
cost me just under $200 to have Toyota U joints installed and the shaft balanced. That incuded the cost of the U joints. That was a couple years ago.

I engaged the Center Diff lock and did one shaft at a time. Think I dropped off and picked them up the next day. Put one shaft on in their lot and removed the other and left it with them for pu the following day

Thanks, Ken. That's in line with what I paid. It wound up being about an hour and a half of labor.

Just got mine back from new Mr. T's being installed on both the front and rear shafts, plus rebalancing. The cost of the joints was more than the CDan price, but hey, they were done in a day. Installation at $20 per u-joint, and balancing at $95 a piece. NorCal pricing.

According to the tech both shafts were out of balance, and one was slightly bent. :hillbilly: Now just waiting for my T-Case to be finished, and get the rig back on the road.

:cheers:

Steve

cyclosteve-albums-dropping-t-case-picture21358-driveshafts-new-u-joints-balanced-sprayed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom