typical '94 LC engine problems?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just looking at this MSN reliability reviews and found this blurb on the '94 engines -- has anyone here ever seen this sort of stuff??  I haven't, yet!

eric  :doh:

Common problems on this vehicle are failures of the Oxygen Sensor and the Main Relay due to an undersized Wire Harness, and an occasional problem is failure of the EGR Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor. Failure of the Wire Harness will prevent the vehicle from starting. The cost to repair the Oxygen Sensor is estimated at $140.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Main Relay is estimated at $15.00 for parts and $26.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Wire Harness is estimated at $15.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor.The cost to repair the EGR Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor is estimated at $93.60 for parts and $32.50 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

PS -- here's the rest of the story -- not all bad!

http://autos.msn.com/vip/usedrelsingleyear.aspx?modelid=2774&src=vip#Engine

Here's their general LC ratings -- none too handsome on the engines of most 80s --

http://autos.msn.com/vip/usedrelover.aspx?make=Toyota&model=Land Cruiser&src=Home

eric,
I went to the MSN site, I did notice that the "problems" with the early models were addressed, and apparently corrected.

Kinda makes me wonder why, most other car manufacturers (sp?) don't seem to have the same approach?? Huumm??

$$$$, :-/ profit margin?? ??? ??? ???

I was under the impression some of these were optional recall (dunno if thats the right term) items. I looked up reports like that online before I bought mine and they pulled the service history for my vehicle showing that they replaced the 02 sensor prior to failure free of charge to the previous owner.

I did have the EGR temp sensor go bad on mine but the other stuff I haven't seen yet and I hope I never do. :D

o2 sensor went on mine several years ago. That and a couple of starters are the only major issues I' ve had in 9 years of ownership. Check engine sensor went on and truck died on way to dealer. MacPherson (now Tustin) Toyota F@#ded up the repair and Family Toyota found their poor work when sensor came on a second time. Haven't been back to Tustin since.

The EFI relay pertains to 91-92 3FE powered vehicles. There was a service campaign to replace O2 sensors on 93-94 vehicles(#S02). there are no campaigns pertaining to the EFI wire or EGR stuff.

If you have a 93-4 you can PM the vin to me and I can tell you if the sensors have been done. If they have not, your local dealer will do it with no charge to the owner. The vast majority have already been done.

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

CDan,

Does that mean I can pull my old repair bills and get a refund from Toyota??? It was easily a couple hundred dollars.

If you are refering to the O2 sensors AND IF they have not been done under the campaign, you could go to your local dealer and request reimbursment from Toyota if you have supporting documents.

Thanks Dan,

Worth a try. I have every maintenance record on the beast. To my knowledge this was never done under any campaign I was told about.

Is there a particular TSB or other name I should quote in asking for a refund?

You da man! :wave:

Brent,

I mentioned that in my first post, refer to campaign # S02 (sam zero two)

Cheers, Dan :beer:

There are no service campaigns applying to 95-97 FZJ80.
93-4 has S02 for O2 sensors and P01 for VERY early production (A/C expansion valve)
P01 also applies to 91-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom