Two Shareable Discount Codes for FatMat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been debating this too. I've gone over the cargo area and found almost not rust. What I little I did find, I scuffed to expose it and treated with "Black Star". Planning to treat the entire undercarriage with it too.

The Mega Mat is VERY sticky. Getting it up would be difficult to say the least. But, at this point at least, I'm planning to line the entire floor and wells. In five years, I might regret it, but hopefully the pre-work that I'm putting in will help a good deal.

All the best,
O.N.
Your situation is like mine. We do what we can with the best tools and know-how we got. I appreciate the pros more than ever before.

Sorry, yes, referring to the jute. FatMat (Mega Mat) on the floor and carpet directly over it. David @dnp has been very helpful. My six piece carpet set arrived on Friday. Installed the new tailgate carpet on the new card that I cut - it fit like a glove, and it looks amazing. He recommended that I only use glue on the tailgate carpet/card and on the wheel well carpet (I'll follow his advice on that). I'm going to play around with the latter. My OEM covers are in good shape. Might/might not install carpet over the wells.

My original carpet wasn't completely trashed, but it was very faded. The new carpet from David looks OEM, and it is lovely dark brown. Getting excited to install carpet in the whole truck.

All the best,
O.N.
Fading is a big concern with me, too. I've found there is some clear UV protection you can get applied to widows that has no tint though plus doesn't look weird through polarized sunglasses. I gotta look again to see what the brand name is but I'm planning on getting that on all windows (should also act as a protectant for the defrost grid on the hatch window I hope) very close to when I get new carpet, in hopes of reducing fading. The JT Outfitters carpet I got many years ago was nearly white in just a couple years and looked like crap. I'd like to prevent that when I invest in nice new carpet.

Is this fading something that aftermarket carpets experience? None of my OEM carpets have ever faded.

Is this fading something that aftermarket carpets experience? None of my OEM carpets have ever faded.
Hi, MarkBC,

I don't know how widespread the OEM fade is.

I could tell that mine were faded (at least some), but I did not realize how badly they were faded until I got the new carpet set. The difference in the the OEM color vs. the new stuff is like milk chocolate vs. dark chocolate. We don't get sun as intense as out west, or the deep south, but Kentucky summers are intense (I've had the truck for about 6 years and don't have the good fortune of having a garage to house my truck full-time), so it's seen a good deal of sun. It originally came from Maryland, which has weather/sun, somewhat similar to Kentucky.

All the best,
O.N.

Fading is a big concern with me, too. I've found there is some clear UV protection you can get applied to widows that has no tint though plus doesn't look weird through polarized sunglasses. I gotta look again to see what the brand name is but I'm planning on getting that on all windows (should also act as a protectant for the defrost grid on the hatch window I hope) very close to when I get new carpet, in hopes of reducing fading. The JT Outfitters carpet I got many years ago was nearly white in just a couple years and looked like crap. I'd like to prevent that when I invest in nice new carpet.
Hi, Spook50,

I'm going to do my glass (was planning on tinting it), and hadn't even considered the clear UV protection. The weird line/rainbow effect that polarized lenses and tinted windows caused is a nuisance for sure.

It's taken me a long time to get my truck to the point that I could start to care for it cosmetically. Sorting out mechanical issues took some doing (it was sound when I bought it... it's been my DD ever since... but getting it running just right has been an expensive hobby!).

Man, there are always choices to make - thank you for adding to the list :p

All the best,
O.N.

Your situation is like mine. We do what we can with the best tools and know-how we got. I appreciate the pros more than ever before.
Man, so do I.

I've had new sheet metal for my truck ready to weld onto the fenders and quarters (after cutting out the rust, which isn't too bad, actually) and some reclaimed rockers sitting in storage since the end of June/beginning of July. I've spoken to so many body shops and welders since then, and I can't get anyone to take my truck in for at least another 6 months. It's really starting to bum me out. A neighbor does some welding and has all of the kit, and he's offered to lend it to my to "play with". I might take him up on his offer!

Man, so do I.

I've had new sheet metal for my truck ready to weld onto the fenders and quarters (after cutting out the rust, which isn't too bad, actually) and some reclaimed rockers sitting in storage since the end of June/beginning of July. I've spoken to so many body shops and welders since then, and I can't get anyone to take my truck in for at least another 6 months. It's really starting to bum me out. A neighbor does some welding and has all of the kit, and he's offered to lend it to my to "play with". I might take him up on his offer!
I am totally intimidated by bodywork like that. I've had a hard time even doing drywall. I too have a neighbor who has a decent welder and lots of body work experience back in the 70's. Maybe I'll trade him by replacing his clutch on his Nissan. If you decide to tackle it yourself, please share the journey with us Mudder Effers.

Hi, Spook50,

I'm going to do my glass (was planning on tinting it), and hadn't even considered the clear UV protection. The weird line/rainbow effect that polarized lenses and tinted windows caused is a nuisance for sure.

It's taken me a long time to get my truck to the point that I could start to care for it cosmetically. Sorting out mechanical issues took some doing (it was sound when I bought it... it's been my DD ever since... but getting it running just right has been an expensive hobby!).

Man, there are always choices to make - thank you for adding to the list :p

All the best,
O.N.
I hear you on that. Mine has gone the EXACT same way. Biggest thing now is I have gutter rust to contend with that hopefully hasn't crept too far; and finishing the laundry list of mods/upgrades that I've collected parts for but haven't taken the time to install yet. Gonna be some good garage time this winter!

I am totally intimidated by bodywork like that. I've had a hard time even doing drywall. I too have a neighbor who has a decent welder and lots of body work experience back in the 70's. Maybe I'll trade him by replacing his clutch on his Nissan. If you decide to tackle it yourself, please share the journey with us Mudder Effers.
I am too. But the humidity here has already started to affect the new panels that I bought from Wolf Steel... stinking humidity and stinking surface rust. I've got to sand and treat the panels and then primer them. This is forcing me to consider doing the work myself. I'm not after a show truck, so I figure if I spend some time practicing in advance of tackling the first panel, that I will be able to do an ok job (and I'll be asking my neighbor for guidance the whole way). If I can get up the courage to cut into her, I'll track the horror show here :).

I hear you on that. Mine has gone the EXACT same way. Biggest thing now is I have gutter rust to contend with that hopefully hasn't crept too far; and finishing the laundry list of mods/upgrades that I've collected parts for but haven't taken the time to install yet. Gonna be some good garage time this winter!
Roger that! That's my plan too. The first thing that I need to do is to reclaim my garage/barn. My tractor is in there at the moment. I'm curing some lumber that my neighbor and I cut, and I'm using the bucket on the tractor (and a bunch of cinder blocks) to weigh down the wood. I haven't been able to use my barn for truck work for months and months:frown:. I've got tons of parts in storage, just waiting for me to put them on my truck.

There are so many things to do. After I get the Mega Mat and new carpet installed throughout, I've got to get my body work finished (and that includes the gutters and taking off the crappy dealer installed roof rack... and dealing with all of the holes in my roof that they drilled... ugh). I've poked around under the rack. Rust look minimal... but like you, I'm worried about the creep!

Man, I hope that your rust is manageable and that all of your work goes well. Fingers crossed for you.

Take it easy.

Well I just "finished" my roof, here is some inspiration. After a year of ripping stuff off and fighting to seal up the gutters, and treating rust inside and out, here is the beautiful end product. The monsoon is arriving later today and it's out of the garage now so I cut my vacation short to do the finishing paint job with some dupli color rattle cans, what they had at Canadian Tire. It dried to the touch very fast and wasn't affected by dew a few hours later. It isn't at all smooth or pretty but it works.

20200920_184859.jpg

that's because mark ,

your local climate is not a Fading Area .......... :)

DSCN6158.JPG

inyazaky factory.jpg

Last edited:
Well I just "finished" my roof, here is some inspiration. After a year of ripping stuff off and fighting to seal up the gutters, and treating rust inside and out, here is the beautiful end product. The monsoon is arriving later today and it's out of the garage now so I cut my vacation short to do the finishing paint job with some dupli color rattle cans, what they had at Canadian Tire. It dried to the touch very fast and wasn't affected by dew a few hours later. It isn't at all smooth or pretty but it works.

Inspiration indeed. The rattle can turned out great. One of my good buddies down here in KY is from Ontario. He worked at Canadian Tire for four years. Put himself through college there.

One more thing that I've been debating and still further choices to be made re: repainting. I know that there is a big debate concerning the use of MonstaLiner... but I'm considering it, especially after reading through Trail Taylor's "Gossamer" build. Getting a "proper" paint job (if I don't rig up a DIY spray box in my barn) is going to cost at least $5k. It's only going to get pin-striped right away, so I might as well set $5k (which I don't have!) on fire :cool:.

My experience with those hard coatings is that they will destroy your car in no time. We Zeibarted our 1984 Tercel in northern Ontario and it rusted away. They just trap the moisture and salt underneath and never dry out. You want paint that will bubble and peel away, which will dry out but also let you know when there is rust developing. Under those hard coatings you won't know there is rust except for some red seepage from the cracks. It doesn't matter how well it sticks to the metal underneath, once the metal rusts it will separate. I saw a cruiser once that looked good from afar but it had been monstalined and you could see all the rust developing in the cracks. I wouldn't want to touch that.

I'm on a budget and using rattle cans. Easy to touch up, and if there's rust underneath it will let you know.

My experience with those hard coatings is that they will destroy your car in no time. We Zeibarted our 1984 Tercel in northern Ontario and it rusted away. They just trap the moisture and salt underneath and never dry out. You want paint that will bubble and peel away, which will dry out but also let you know when there is rust developing. Under those hard coatings you won't know there is rust except for some red seepage from the cracks. It doesn't matter how well it sticks to the metal underneath, once the metal rusts it will separate. I saw a cruiser once that looked good from afar but it had been monstalined and you could see all the rust developing in the cracks. I wouldn't want to touch that.

I'm on a budget and using rattle cans. Easy to touch up, and if there's rust underneath it will let you know.

That's scary right there. Thanks for the vid.

Same with rhino-lining, raptor lining, or any bedliner product. No bueno.

Just ordered some MegaMat for my doors. Had not heard of FatMat before, not that I recall anyway. Used CruiserCrap QuietCrap 8 or 9 years ago, but that stuff isn't sold anymore.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Just ordered some MegaMat for my doors. Had not heard of FatMat before, not that I recall anyway. Used CruiserCrap QuietCrap 8 or 9 years ago, but that stuff isn't sold anymore.

Thanks for the heads up!!
You're very welcome. When I was searching on Mud for sound deadening/insulation products, there were tons of refs. to QuietCrap (which I tried to find, but no go). I came across a ref or two to FatMat. They seem like a good company, and their products are all made in the U.S. (as far as I can tell, anyway).

Got my cargo area completely lined with the Mega Mat yesterday. Dang, it makes a real difference. The only thing that I would do differently (and will when I line the rest of the floor) is wear gloves. The aluminum backer cut the heck out of my hands!

Last edited:
Used this promo code today, Thanks!!

GETFAT8

Used this promo code today, Thanks!!

GETFAT8
No problem at all. I'm glad that the code still worked! Adding the FatMat was a huge upgrade (and I haven't even done my door skins yet). I hadn't ever done sound deadening before. The one thing that I would strongly recommend is to wear gloves... the metal backer on the mat is sharp as all get out. There's a lot of blood mixed with my Mat ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom