Twin stick install, tranny hump removal required? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back in the early 90's I installed a L/R in the rear, it was great. Then the next logical step was put 1 in the frt too. I figured I could just engage 4wd/2wd when I needed it. I altered the shift gate for 2wd low. That was a PITA, shifting back and forth all the time. I had power steering, over time when wheeling w/the frt end locked and engaged you could slightly feel it binding up the more and more you turned it on the trail. I could here the P/S pump working harder. No P/S is extremely difficult to get it to turn a little bit. A frt locker will put extreme stress on your stk birfields, if you do anything moderately difficult you have a good chance of breaking a stk birf. Don't turn the wheels and backup. I quickly determined I didn't like the frt end locked all the time. I used to compete in obstacle courses. When locked, it pushes in the turns, cornering sucks. This was a time where Marlin was experimenting with Marfields with no success. I ended up narrowing a dana 44 and went ARB in the frt. Use it when you need it. I'd recommend an ARB or selectable locker in the frt and alloy axles/birfields. Then consider upgrading to big pattern knuckles with hardened studs.
Thanks for the information.
I have already pulled the stock birfields and will replace with upgraded shafts that will have 30 splines at the birfield race. I am thinking to just leave the front open and not spend the money for an air or electric locker.

Back in the early 90's I installed a L/R in the rear, it was great. Then the next logical step was put 1 in the frt too. I figured I could just engage 4wd/2wd when I needed it. I altered the shift gate for 2wd low. That was a PITA, shifting back and forth all the time. I had power steering, over time when wheeling w/the frt end locked and engaged you could slightly feel it binding up the more and more you turned it on the trail. I could here the P/S pump working harder. No P/S is extremely difficult to get it to turn a little bit. A frt locker will put extreme stress on your stk birfields, if you do anything moderately difficult you have a good chance of breaking a stk birf. Don't turn the wheels and backup. I quickly determined I didn't like the frt end locked all the time. I used to compete in obstacle courses. When locked, it pushes in the turns, cornering sucks. This was a time where Marlin was experimenting with Marfields with no success. I ended up narrowing a dana 44 and went ARB in the frt. Use it when you need it. I'd recommend an ARB or selectable locker in the frt and alloy axles/birfields. Then consider upgrading to big pattern knuckles with hardened studs.

I installed Lock- Rights in my 68 in 1994. Only traction aid I knew of for coarse spline axle. Never an issue of breaking the ball and claw in the knuckles. While steering was a pain was more concern with the stress put on the steering. The feedback on the steering wheel can tell there is a lot more strain.

I installed Lock- Rights in my 68 in 1994. Only traction aid I knew of for coarse spline axle. Never an issue of breaking the ball and claw in the knuckles. While steering was a pain was more concern with the stress put on the steering. The feedback on the steering wheel can tell there is a lot more strain.
That is one of my biggest concerns with the electric power steering that is grafted onto the stock box: strain on 50 year old parts that have no replacements.☹️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom