turn signals fd-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in need of some help. My 79 FJ40 has been running great now for about a year(knock on wood :flipoff2: ), but have run into my first big problem. When I hit the turn signals, either way, it just stays lit and does not flash. When I pull the Hazard knob, however, they flash. Also, ocasionaly when I push the clutch in and the turn signal is on, they flash once, and then once when I let out. I removed my steering wheel and inspected my coloum switch and everything is fine and as far as I can tell, all the wires running to the flasher box look ok. I was going to remove the box, but cant figure out how to get any tools up in the dash to unscrew it and remove it. If you know how to remove this box or of something else that might be cuasing this, please let me know.

Andrew

are the bulbs out? like burnt out?

It indicates that one bulb is either burned out or has a bad connection so that the circuit doesn't sink enough current to heat up the bimetal spring in the flasher.

If it's not a bad bulb I'd vote for bad ground on the front fender mounted turn signals. Just about every 40 I've owned needed a ground wire from inside the turn signal to someplace inside the engine compartment to work well all the time.

nick

I researched the same issue for a few hours yesterday. I found a recurring theme. If your bulbs are fine, check your grounds. If your grounds and bulbs are fine, it may be a wattage issue (pinhead posted this in about 30 threads I read yesterday - thanks!).

Go buy a cheap 2 prong electric flasher at Chekrashuzonnapep and wire up an adapter to replace your OEM flasher. It took me all of 5 minutes, and everything works like a charm.

Thanks, I was planning on something like this but cant seem to find the time. At first I just assumed it was the bulbs, but when I finally got around to replacing them, they were all ok. I am going to try the grounds and hopefully that works

Found the problem, the rear turn light socket is completly rusted through and disintigrated to the touch. And the bulb was rusted into what was left of it. I tried to remove it and the glass pulled out. So I am in the market for some new tail lights. Until then I just have to figure out how to get places by turning left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom