Turn signals and LEDs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heres the scoop, i have a 1980 bj40 and i am in the middle of rebuilding. I am at the electrical stage, and I can run the emergency flashers, head lamps, everything works except the turn flashers.
Is there a chance the my lEDs are muckin it up?
They are rated for 24volt, so I am doubtful that this is the case.
Any gurus out there able to help this bozo out?

:popcorn:

LEDs often don't draw enough current to trip the flasher. You have to get a flasher unit that is specifically for LEDs.

LEDs often don't draw enough current to trip the flasher. You have to get a flasher unit that is specifically for LEDs.

or add resistance to the circuit ..

X2- I remember looking into doing this a few years back. Not sure if any of our resident DIYers have solved this.

Is it a 2 or 3 pin flasher on the 24V? You should be able to find a comparable flasher to fit your truck. 12V is a little easier, but with all the chinese crap out there you should be able to find one.

As some folk have stated, the LEDs draw too little current and the "old style" flashers won't work since they relied on the higher current of an incandescent.

Source a 24V flasher that SPECIFICALLY states that it is ELECTRONIC and for LEDs. Ebay has some, just need to determine how many contacts you need it to have to be compatible with your fossil 40.

I converted my fossil patrol from 24V to 12V a bunch of years ago and just sourced a 12V electronic flasher since I run a bunch of LEDs in its turn indicator housings.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom