Turn signal problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings, working on getting a Nov76' FJ40 back on the road after sitting a long time. Did a bunch already and just have a couple of issues I need some help with.

Turn signal no blinky....

Hazards work and LT turn signal works. RT turn signal just goes on solid without blinking.

Can anyone explain to me if the flasher could be NG and still work for one side? If so, maybe it is that, Can anyone tell me where it is located?

Bulbs look good to me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance.

sounds like a bad ground you can use a piece of wire to ground the lights and if they work then you can fix it . have found its usually the front 1 but not always good luck

my flasher is up on the left side under the dash. its impossible to get at so i have not idea how i would get it out of there if its bad. just put your hazards on and listen for it. i have the same problem and have tried changing light bulbs and rewiring the light itself. because the hazards work but not the blinker i think its a circuit problem - not a light problem? just a thought...

Ground problem...I went through almost the exact same symptoms not long ago. Run an individual ground wire from each front turn signal to some place in the engine compartment. I used a bolt for the apron. It is out of the weather that way. I then followed the signal wiring and ran ground wire up through the mounting post and soldered the wire to the back of the reflector plate.

The original design is to ground through the fender at the post, there are just too many variables for corrosion, mud and s*** to build up and affect the integrity of the ground..So bypass all of that and shoot a dedicated ground wire to an out of the weather place.

OK, I thought the that was the flasher, but I was hoping not, cause' Yes it is hard to get at.

Thanks I will investigate the ground. Appreciate the help all.

It indicates that there is a bad connection somewhere in the right hand turn signal circuit downstream from the turn switch. A bad ground is most common, but it is not the only possibility.

+1 for bad ground. When the hazards are on, do all for signals flash, or just the left?
If the flasher works for the left it will also work for the right, and on my 78 it was not TOO hard to get to, kinda up by the top of the clutch pedal
hth

ground ground ground........... ground the body to the frame in several locations, and when in doubt, ground the panel the light is attatched to. this is a HUGE problems for EFI conversions also, I had a 22RE in a 4runner show some crazy stuff on the computer due to a faulty ground. Also, if you wanna do it right, solder your connections instead of that crimp on crap. Heat and movement are the worst enemies of wireing.

Great, Thanks for the comments all. I will ground it and see how it goes. I got a box of wire itchin to get used. I'm off...

Ground

Sam, I had the same issue recently. The guys were right on with the ground. My right rear would not blink with the head lights on. (79 FJ40)All others worked fine. Narrowed it down to the right front not grounding. I had el-cheapo Taiwan front lights. The ground was supposed to go through a screw that mounted in the bottom of the front light then through the mounting bolt to the fender. Jump wire from the sheet metal mount inside the light to the mounting bolt and it all worked. I just replaced the front signals with OEM. Now all is fine. Good luck, Jeff

OK, I ran the ground wire today. It worked!!!!

You guys are awesome, thanks for teaching me what to look for. This is the second tech post I put up (with a question), and batting two for two with the fix.

Really appreciate the help, Thanks all.

Since this thread exsists, and the first problem was finished, I'll hi-jack it.

If you don't hear the flasher (hazards and turn) clicking, would it be a wiring problem or a flasher problem?

I had a bad bulb that looked good - seriously I could not tell anything was wrong with it - so try there.

GarnerFJ40 said:
If you don't hear the flasher (hazards and turn) clicking, would it be a wiring problem or a flasher problem?

My bet is on wiring, the flasher is a sealed unit:

There is a location in the engine bay (on my '77) where the wiring harness to the rear of the truck has a connector. Disconnect it and attach 12V to each of the rear turn signal wires (from wiring diagram) and see if the bulbs go on. There is a connector under the dash as well, disconnect that and apply 12V and see if the same occurs. Do the same at appropriate locations for the front bulbs, and trace back until you can rule out a bad ground. FWIW my hazard SWITCH lets the turn signals work but won't let the hazard work, if you look at a wiring diagram you'll see how this is possible.

Pin is correct...my experience is that it is more likely to be the flasher itself.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom