turn signal indicator for early FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on a 68 for friend's mother. It has what I think is probably a 70-71 vintage instrument cluster in it and there are no indicator lights for turn signals in it. So I was thinking of using one of the original red lights from the dash to use as an indicator. Could I wire both left/right into one or would it need to be a dual filament bulb to do that? The stalk no longer (maybe never did) returns after a turn and we're trying to keep her from driving with a blinker on for days.

The 68 has red lens lights on either side of the instrument cluster from the factory. There was a lamp holder that snapped into the housing with the lens. The housing just below the steering wheel had spring loaded levers that returned the turn signal switch to neutral. Very common to have it fail by now.

Here is my 70 which the dash is real close to the 68. The lower light right side is the 4WD indicator (green).

IMG_0951.JPG

Last edited:
OK very cool. I put a TBI setup on it and used one of the red lights for the check engine light. And I've got the other one. Maybe I'll use those for the indicators like they are supposed to be and use the 4wd one (probably the other one I found with no socket in it) for the check engine light. I need to do something for a reverse light indicator too. It was converted to a floor shift and the reverse lights are on a toggle switch.

I switched my 68 to a floor shift back in 74 and extended the wires from the old reverse light switch by the steering box to the switch on the top plate on the transmission. Unless you got a very early top plate it should have a place for a reverse light switch on the back.

Yeah I had read about that possibility AFTER I put the trans cover back on, fuel tank in, etc. I didn't see a switch on the trans and when putting the dash back together noticed the toggle. Sure enough it's connected to the reverse lights. But I may just yank it apart again to check. I need to try and get the fuel gauge working too. Reads full all the time, even when the cluster was out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom