Turn signal detective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a turn signal problem and even though I've read through all the search results I'm not finding the answer to my problem.

My turn signals and hazards quit working.

The driving lights work, which I would think would have to be grounded, just like the turn signals, so I'm assuming that my grounds are OK.

I pulled out the flasher relay and checked it out, it seems to work OK. I also ran a jumper across the relay and still have no signal lights.

I pulled the switch off of the steering column and checked the switch with an ohmmeter and it appears to be working as it should.

Am I missing something? :hmm: Any ideas?:meh:

Thanks!

Old style flasher?
Might not be getting enough current to trip the switch.
I put an electronic flasher in mine and all is well.

I'm guessing that since I tried jumping past the flasher unit, then that's not what the problem is.

Anyone have anything else I can try?

Last edited:
Is there a way to run an "external" ground to each light to verify if that is the problem or not?

I had the same problem. Replaced the turn signal switch and still had the problem. Replaced the flasher switch, still had the problem. Turned out I had one single bulb out in one of the front marker lights. Changed the bulb and everythings been A O K since. Good luck.

I had the same problem. Replaced the turn signal switch and still had the problem. Replaced the flasher switch, still had the problem. Turned out I had one single bulb out in one of the front marker lights. Changed the bulb and everythings been A O K since. Good luck.

OK, I just went and checked every bulb, even the ones not signal bulbs, and they are all good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Can I jump directly from the battery to points along the wiring to try to track down where my problem is? I'm no electrician, but that sounds like I may end up burning something up if I do that.

EDIT: I just checked the ground to each socket by using an ohmmeter and making sure there was no resistance between each socket and a point on the frame. I'm starting to wonder if it's the switch and I checked it wrong earlier.. hmm

Last edited:
Check your hazard switch. If it goes bad your signals wont work. Turn you turn signal on and ease in and out on your hazard switch and see if it starts to work. You may need to take the hazard switch apart and clean it.

Check your hazard switch. If it goes bad your signals wont work. Turn you turn signal on and ease in and out on your hazard switch and see if it starts to work. You may need to take the hazard switch apart and clean it.

OK, giving it a shot. When I test the hazard switch, I find that there is a good connection when the switch is on from the Gblue wire to both the Gy and Gblack wires, which are the signal lights, based on this wiring diagram...

http://users.telenet.be/4road/Wiring_diagram_78_fj40.pdf

and this one...

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/Page6AImages/TurnSignalSwitch.png.

I'm not sure how else to test this.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Are there any inline fuses anywhere that may be causing this?

x2 mine signals started working after replacing everythng, only because I worked the daylights out of the hazard switch. I have to hit the sweet spot for them to work

I'm having a very similar problem (see my recent post).

Does your +12 v wire at the flasher truly have + 12 v with ignition on? If so, I think the hazard switch is not the problem if I am reading the diagram correctly.

I suspect my problem is a short (chassis is positively charged) maybe check yours as well (disconnect negative terminal, check voltage between battery terminals and chassis).

Now, after rebuilding the hazard switch (I'm sure I now have the cleanest hazard switch west of the Mississippi), I have working hazards. But the turn signals still don't work:bang::bang:!

WTF?!

I think I have some bad PO wiring that's haunting me. The wires from the turn signal switch/dimmer switch/horn come from the switch and branch off into two sets. Three wires go to the dimmers, which work fine, six wires go into a 6-wire plug and one wire Green w/white stripe is left hanging. Now, the six wire plug plugs into another plug which only has 4 wires coming out.

It seems that the 4 wires coming out are a left signal, right signal, horn, and a power wire. The power wire is supplying ~4 volts with the key turned on and 0 with the key turned off.

So, I'm stumped on:

1) shouldn't 6 wires come out of a connection if 6 go in.

2) what was the green w/white stripe wire doing? I don't see any connection place for it when I look elsewhere.

3) should the "power wire" coming in have 12 volts when the key is on, or is the 4-5 volts sufficient? It isn't sufficient to light any lights.
I will be happy to send a 6-pack of beer (your choice) to anyone who can help me diagnose the problem. **blatant bribe alert**:beer:

Last edited:
I'm almost certain that the G/W wire connects to nothing (mine terminates with a male bullet connector).

See my previous similar thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/372756-dash-wiring-help.html

I will be tearing into my turn signal wiring Friday and can help answer your other questions then. I will also be able to provide you with my beer selection and mailing address.

AC

I'm almost certain that the G/W wire connects to nothing (mine terminates with a male bullet connector).

See my previous similar thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/372756-dash-wiring-help.html

I will be tearing into my turn signal wiring Friday and can help answer your other questions then. I will also be able to provide you with my beer selection and mailing address.

AC
So you never did hook up the G/W wire to anything and everything worked? Until recently anyways?

Finally figured it out last night, it was a bad connection in the connector behind the hazard switch. Funny thing is that I think I was just telling Adax in one of his posts to make sure to check the connection, not just the switch. If I would have just taken my own advice I could have been out driving it a week ago.

Anyway, it's all good now, thanks for the help!:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom