Turn Light/Signal Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been discussed but I can’t seem to find anything that fits my situation or maybe I’m just missing it? Everything has been working fine till about a week ago.

-Turn lights on and the left front turn signal doesn’t come on. If I try to use the left turn signal I get nothing.
-Turn lights off and use the turn signal it lights up and stays solid along with my brake light.

Is my turn signal assembly causing this? Or do I have something else going on?

Cheers 🍻

Have you done some electrical work recently?

Is this the only light on the vehicle that you are having problems with?

Try gently tapping the flasher with the blinker on, it may need replacement.

The standard answer to questions about light operation is “check you grounds”. Not sure if that helps.
Does the right side work? Coolerman offers a flasher that helps with ground issues if it turns out to be a flasher issue.

Everything else works and I have not done any electrical. I hope to have some time tomorrow to poke around. Will update when I can. I failed to mention that when I put the flashers on the left turn signal flashes as it’s suppose to.

Curious, I thought the hazard powered the same wire as the turn signal ? Just for kicks, put a little pressure on the arm when left turn signal is on, downward, see what happens.

Messed with the turn signal stick this morning and now my turn signal works. But it’s still not working with the head lights? I may try and take my head light switch out and see what going on there.

As others have said, it's most likely a ground issue.

Check the hi/lo foot switch for condition, sounds like the headlight circuit is lowering the voltage to the point the relay & flasher dont work.

I know this has been discussed but I can’t seem to find anything that fits my situation or maybe I’m just missing it? Everything has been working fine till about a week ago.

-Turn lights on and the left front turn signal doesn’t come on. If I try to use the left turn signal I get nothing.
-Turn lights off and use the turn signal it lights up and stays solid along with my brake light.

Is my turn signal assembly causing this? Or do I have something else going on?

Cheers 🍻
Have you had any luck figuring this one out? My ‘78 FJ40 just started doing the same thing.

- Headlights on, left turn signal blinks once and then stays on.
- Headlights off, works normally.
- Hazard lights all flash normally.

Sincerely and respectfully

Remember guys the OEM flasher is a CURRENT activated device. It MUST have a certain amount of current flowing in order to flash. This is why the Hazards almost alwyas work as there are 4 bulbs all drawing current. In turn signal mode, only TWO bulbs draw current. If one bulb is not working, or has a poor, or no GROUND, then not enoguh current flows and the light comes on but does not flash.

So what does the headlignts have to do with this? Electrically they have nothing to do with the turn signals. The headlights have a dedicated ground wire running to them for reliability reasons. Now if your battery is weak, then yes, headlights on can pull the voltage down to the point the flasher will not activate.

So long story short: CHECK EACH LIGHTS GROUND!

Have you had any luck figuring this one out? My ‘78 FJ40 just started doing the same thing.

- Headlights on, left turn signal blinks once and then stays on.
- Headlights off, works normally.
- Hazard lights all flash normally.

Sincerely and respectfully
I did not. It started working again and I ordered a new turn signal mechanism and gave it to the new owner to install. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom