Turkey Hangover Trip Report: Western AZ Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
Turkey was finished. And not being much of a shopper, we took advantage of the long weekend to bolt out of town towards western AZ, and its unknown (to me) deserts. Our trip was intended to be my wife, my brother, and myself. But, with a case of bronchitis brewing, my wife stayed behind. She was kind enough to pack up the best d@%n collection of camping leftovers ever, which provided our sustenance for the Fri-Sun weekend.

I had just finished a front axle partial-rebuild (my first foray into the 80's front axle guts). 5.29's on an ARB front end were just rebuilt by Zuk, along with rear 5.29's to complement the Aussie locker already inside. Front end wheel bearings were retained (Koyo, only 25K old), but cleaned, repacked, etc along with all new Cruiser-Outfitter seals and gaskets from the knuckle balls out. With only 45mi on them since the rebuild… lets break in the new gears with a 500 mi road trip!

Leaving Flagstaff as the sun rose, we headed south through Sedona, Cottonwood, and over Mingus Mtn into Prescott. We stopped for a coffee and breakfast at the Raven Cafe, just off of Gurley St, and then avoided the Black Friday shoppers by heading towards Iron Springs Rd. Traffic had been light all day, but really thinned out by the time we got to Skull Valley and Kirkland. Here, we turned towards the mining town of Bagdad on Hwy 96. It is rumored to be the last "company town" in America. We gassed up in Bagdad, then headed south on Hwy 97, and turned R onto Burro Creek (Six Mile Crossing) Rd. A fantastic, undulating trip through transitional Sonoran-Mojave Desert lands eventually brought us down Suicide Wash to the riparian Oasis of Burro Creek.

We ventured several miles upstream, checked out several old ranching homesteads, and found a fantastic creekside campsite under the cottonwoods and sycamores, serenaded by waterfalls. Fishing ensued, several small sunfish were landed, but the 18" monsters we saw eluded us. Perhaps they were descendants of the long-lost Colorado salmon. After several red Pepsis, and a great night's sleep, we packed up and headed across the creek and remained northbound towards Signal Rd. We traveled about 25mi on dirt so far, seeing only 2 other vehicles… as expected, the place was empty. Eventually we crossed Hwy 93, and headed further west towards the ghost town mining camps of Signal and Virginia City.

Last edited:
Signal and Virginia City were a popular hangout for the extended, extended, extended family of the local ATV club. Felt kind of liked Toy-hauler Deliverence. We scooted out, and found some seldom -used Jeep tracks that connected to CR 127 (?) and eventually brought us to Huffman, AZ, almost to the shores of Alamo Lake. Total time from Hwy 93 to Huffman was about 2.5 hours. Mostly high clearance 4wd, with a few areas of low-range were needed. Few tire tracks to be found . We were within sight of Alamo Lake, but had another stop to make prior to setting up camp: Maggie Wash (drive), and the hike through Rawhide Canyon.

Maggie Wash was a short, yet epic drive. fold in those mirrors for TIGHT clearances, and eventually backing out and 7-point turning to head back the way we came. Think of it as a slot-canyon for 4wd's. We parked near the head of mouth of Rawhide Canyon to partake in a great slot canyon hike that was about 1/2 mi long, and thankfully required no swimming on this overcast, low 60's day.

After the Maggie/Rawhide fun, we joined the "main rd", Alamo Crossing Rd, and headed downhill towards Alamo Lake. We found a great campsite along the wind-sheltered shore, and settled down for a great sunset and more leftovers!

A quiet night ensued, with only a brief passing shower. We headed out without much fanfare in the am, Alamo Rd north to Signal Rd East, to Seventeen Mile Rd E/SE. A grader was hard at work along Seventeen Mile Rd, and as I crossed the graded "centerline" of the road, a football-sized rock grabbed my diff, and put a nice dent in the ring-gear bulge of the Cruiser's front 8" :crybaby:. Maybe it was in my head, but the driveline vibes increased after this.

Now, I was in my mechanical head… what could the vibes be? She ran great at 55mph and under, but over 55 there was an annoying vibration. The drive down Hwy 93, up 71 to Congress, and back over the Hill to Yarnell and Prescott was soooo much better with deeper gearing. 35's and 5.29's made the 3FE Cruiser very drivable again, even with a full load of camping gear. Lunch at the Gurley Street grill was greeted by snow showers, which accompanied us all the way back to Flagstaff. Passing carefully by signs of numerous slide outs and one sideways pickup in Oak Creek Canyon, we made it back home just as the snow got heavy (4" as I type this).

I still have to total the trip mileage, and in truth the snow/rain abbreviated some of the dirt portions we anticipated, but a weekend on the trail was had. I need to investigate some vibrations, I hope that these are not just a 5.29 thing…. And, the welder and a slide hammer should take care of the diff-dent.

Pics to follow below.

Last edited:
IMG_20161125_110226621_HDR.jpg

Skull Valley. Are you scared?
IMG_20161125_150921173.jpg

Burro Creek
IMG_20161126_101827526.jpg

Desert views along Signal Rd, east of 93
IMG_20161126_114052489.jpg

Virginia City mine

IMG_20161125_142333350.jpg

Camp near Burro Creek

Last edited:
Fall colors, overlooking the Big Sandy River.

IMG_20161126_114311707.jpg

Rawhide Canyon

IMG_20161126_133228819.jpg

Remote lakeside spot at Alamo Lake

IMG_20161127_073740812_HDR.jpg

Burro Creek bridge on Hwy 93, seen from Seventeen Mile Rd.

IMG_20161127_103247538.jpg

Road from Signal to Huffman

IMG_20161126_125635090.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures n great writeup. keep us posted on the vibration issue.

Anyone have info on how to post video? Do I need a host site?

Anyone have info on how to post video? Do I need a host site?

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a weekend well spent! :steer:

As far as I know, video needs to be hosted elsewhere like YouTube, Facebook, etc., then you can embed the link into the post.

I am thinking of doing a similar route for the March ROTM. Do you have a gps track of the run?

I am thinking of doing a similar route for the March ROTM. Do you have a gps track of the run?

Yes! I am not that technically-inclined, but I tracked it with inReach/Earthmate. I will edit it down and send it your way.

Yes! I am not that technically-inclined, but I tracked it with inReach/Earthmate. I will edit it down and send it your way.

I wouldn't mind the gps track as well, I tried to get to that area before but coming up from the south and crossing over the Bill Williams River West of Alamo Lake but the water was too high so I could make the crossing.

Looks Like an amazing trip!!

Interested in the location of Maggie Wash. That canyon reminds me of the "Rincon Narrows" off of Constellation, which is a nice summertime retreat as water always flows through that sandy canyon off of the Hassayampa. Cool videos,

:cool:

Nice!

Interested in the location of Maggie Wash. That canyon reminds me of the "Rincon Narrows" off of Constellation, which is a nice summertime retreat as water always flows through that sandy canyon off of the Hassayampa. Cool videos,
Thomas, Maggie's Wash is located just west of Alamo Lake. (34°16'16.32"N, 113°35'30.80"W)

Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 2.04.49 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom