Turbo vs. steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of installing my 12ht into my 45. It looks like it will drop in fine :D but as I have it suspended over the frame I see that the turbo & the power steering box both want to occupy the same spot:mad: As I was looking at it I thought :idea: I would just move the turbo off the manifold and put it further back down the exhaust like where the cat would have gone. What will this do to the performance if any thing. :confused: Thanks for any info. Brian

that should work fine. infact there is a company that makes kits that do just that. the only thing I could see going wrong would be routing your oil lines and some boost lost in all of that length of tubing. That and the fact that the turbo will get covered in road crap being down that low. sounds like a fun project
good luck.

With the cab off I forgot about all of the room there is in the engine compartment. I doubt if I will need to drop it as far down as I first thought. Your right Cali-Cruiser I think I would be looking for trouble putting it that low. I will have to look up that company that you mentioned thanks. Thanks jzilla for your suggestion I will go ask the international crew about this.

You DO NOT want to put the turbo that far back. The lag would be incredible. The company that does the kits like that simply forgets to mention that fact. You want the turbo as close as possible to the exhaust ports, with all the associated piping as short as possible.

putting it back that far will increase lag quite a bit (will work though)
also, if you're mounting the turbo low, be VERY careful not to do any deep puddles or heaven forbid water crossings...

I am happy with keeping it hooked up to the manifold like it came as but some thing needs to be moved. I do see what you are saying about the lag but the law of physics dictate, two solid objects can not occupy the same space at the same time. How can I get the steering box to work if relocated? I might be able to make a short header pip say an inch or two and shot it to the side instead of downward like it is now.

You can move the turbo a little, but as far back as the cat is just a bad idea. It just seems easier to move a steering box a bit.

Are you talking about the factory manual steering box? You could do a power steering conversion (your new engine should have a pump) and that would move the box.

This 45 has factory power steering unlike my 40 but it is still in the way. I will not place the turbo that far down, there is plenty of room closer to the engine.

I meant more along the lines of FJ60/Scout Saginaw/Saginaw steering. That would probably be the easiest route overall. It would also eliminate the terrible factory relay rod system. I saw a relay box tear apart from the frame last weekend, not a pretty picture. I don't know if they managed to weld everything together enough to drive the 300 miles home the next day or not, hope they did.

Like Kyle advocates, put an FJ60 conversion in. It's an improvement from the original factory optinal PS in the '40 and it will easily solve your clearance concerns.

Mark...

Have any of you actually laid eyes on the STS turbo kit? The lag isn't bad at all.. When I dyno'd my CTD, there was a F-150 lightning (the older style) with the STS kit on it, and the lag was minimal when he took me for a ride. I think the key is that this isn't a big potential turbo kit, so they keep the turbo small, so it spools quickly.. but you won't see those turbos on 1000 hp cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom