turbo (?) sounds like a squeaky belt, but only at JUST above idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post :)

I'm getting a noise when the throttle is just opening (1200 rpm ish) that sounds exactly like a squeaky belt. It happens whether stationary or moving, and in every gear - clearly related to engine rpm.

Could this be turbo related? It has a wastegate, which I have lubed to the best of my ability, but are there other things I should be checking?
If not, could it actually BE a bad belt/pulley? The fact that it happens at a very specific throttle position is confusing me!

Thanks,

M.

Pull the intake hose off the turbo inlet, and stick your head down close while working the throttle by hand at the throttle cable/IP pulley, see if you can confirm the source of the noise that way? You should be able to tell if it's turbo or belt/tensioner related that way.

Pull the intake hose off the turbo inlet, and stick your head down close while working the throttle by hand at the throttle cable/IP pulley, see if you can confirm the source of the noise that way? You should be able to tell if it's turbo or belt/tensioner related that way.
My throttle body is electronic - of course🤦🏻‍♂️- but I can always have somebody in the cab.

My throttle body is electronic - of course🤦🏻‍♂️- but I can always have somebody in the cab.
What is the vehicle you're working on?

It is possible that the noise is coming from a belt or pulley, though generally serpentine belts don't squeal like v-belts do. Are you sure you have a waste gate turbo and not a VNT? A small turbodiesel that new is most likely fitted with a VNT turbo, which sometimes have similar looking actuators to waste gate setups but operate on a totally different principle. I have a VW TDI engine that is currently making an odd buzzing/squeaking noise upon acceleration, but only until the vanes of the turbo open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom