Turbo 3Bii (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently had a turbo installed in my BJ75 Troopy. Whilst there has been an increase in performance I am a little disappointed in that on long highway inclines, I am down to 40mph in second gear.

I know that there can be numerous reasons but if you have a similar rig I would be interested in learning what performance you are getting.

David
14 3 14 001w.jpg
15 1 14 002s.jpg

What is your boost level?
What is your max EGT?
What Kind/size of turbo?
What rpm does it start to produce boost?
Gear Ratio?
Did you increase your fuelling at all?

Would be helpful to know these things to better advise you.

cheers

Hi,

It is a Garrett turbo but I left it to the installer and didn't know that there were different sizes. Can you/I tell from the picture? The boost gauge indicates that the turbo kicks in at low revs and increases to a maximum of 15. I was advised to keep the temperature below 1200° so as soon as it creeps over 1150° I ease off although that doesn't happen very often. I don't know if the fuelling was increased but was told that it was tuned to ensure the life of the engine rather than for maximum performance. Finally I don't know what the gear ratios are but believe that it is still how it left the factory.

Cheers

Your turbo model will be on the tag on the compressor housing. or the housing itself. I cant see from the pics.
15psi should be lots and if it spools at low revs (at least 5psi @ 1400rpm)
Good advice to keep your temps down, I usually dont take mine above 1100F.

With that said, you should be getting more boot from it. My rig had no issues on 35" tires climbimg hills in 4th or 5th at 95kmh. Sat around 1000-1100F before i intercooled it.

If that port on the turbo outlet is you boost guage reference line, Id move it to your intake manifold. Putting a guage on your turbo housing gives you a false reading of what the engine is actually getting. probably as much as 3 psi lower at the manifold and more if the piping is longer.

You have a rotary pump, correct? You should be able to fit a boost aneroid top cover to reduce your off-boost fueling and increase your on-boost fueling and really tune the thing to your liking. Not hard to do.

But as is you should still be getting more performance from the added boost at those EGT's,

Unless, your truck weighs a LOT more than mine and you have a lot of weight in the back, which can affect things. My truck weighs in at about 5200lbs

40mph in 2nd, what RPM is right.....
Does your pump have a boost comp on the top from the factory?
I can give you some advice on how to tune the aneroid if there is one...

Same here...shift to second at 10-15 k/h (~8 mph), third at 30 km/h (~18 mph) and 4th before 40-45 km/h (~30 mph.) That's in a HJ47 - 2H and H41.
I'd be trying to find out what final drive ratio she's got fitted.
What tranny has that troopy got - H55 5 speed? If so, the shift points should be similar if she had 4.11 diffs except for the extra gear.

Thanks for all your input. I don't have a rev counter so I don't know what revs I'm doing and 1 also don't know what ratios I have. I guess I need to do some more research so that I can decide what I can do, if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom