Tundra Lifetime (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of any weakpoints on the Tundra w/ 5.7 before 200k?

I am looking at 07 4x4 Tundra Dblcabs, and there is one near me for a deal, but has high miles (138k). Single owner has service records since new and claims he put a lot of highway miles on it.

High miles don't scare me on Land Cruisers that have been well maintained and not abused, but I do not have any personal experience with Tundras.

I have no experience with the 5.7 but aren't they putting them in the new Cruisers? I don't have many concerns about high mileage Toyotas as long as they have been maintained.

Likewise. No experience with the 07+ version, but my 03 is at 175,000 and I'd drive cross country tomorrow with it. Best truck I've ever had....

2nd gen Tundras are what I do. They are a fairly well built machine that is heavily based on the 200 series Land Cruiser chassis. The 07s had the most issues, most should have been taken care of under warranty and service campaigns.

Major weak points.

Air pumps for the air injection may get water logged and throw the truck into limp. There is a TSB and replacement procedure for this, but you are past the mileage for it. Check the records for R&R.

Rear wheel bearings are large but can have issues. Check service records for R&R.

I'm not fan of the change intervals for the ATF. Check to see if and when this was changed. Being all highway miles makes it less of a concern. Does this truck have a tow package?

Front differentials have a tsb for noise. Check to see if it has been replaced.

Check for also usual stuff, leaks, proper services etc. There are plenty of these out there if this one seems less than it should.

138k highway miles would not scare me at all (as long as there are records and/or the seller displays attributes of anal maintenance guy).

Brian-
How does the air injection pump get waterlogged? My only experience with air pumps is the ones that came on late 1F's and 2F's

What does the tow package include? This truck has a receiver hitch that doesn't look aftermarket but only a 4-flat trailer plug. I would need to add a 7 pin and I assume brake controller. The 4 flat may be related to the fact that this truck has the 'sport' rear bumper.

I have the TRD package on mine that comes with the tow package and it pulls better than the Fords I have had. Not sure of what all is included in that package.
I asked my dlr yesterday about the air pump issue and he told me that if the pump has the slightest issue it will trigger the CEL. Toyota will warranty the pump to 150k according to him

GL

Brian-
How does the air injection pump get waterlogged? My only experience with air pumps is the ones that came on late 1F's and 2F's

What does the tow package include? This truck has a receiver hitch that doesn't look aftermarket but only a 4-flat trailer plug. I would need to add a 7 pin and I assume brake controller. The 4 flat may be related to the fact that this truck has the 'sport' rear bumper.

Bailey--

The air injection system is placed low in the fender well. Water ingress occurs through here and gets sucked up into the pump and air valves.

Very expensive to fix.

I heard something different. My father's 08 Tundra has a CEL, which says its the air pump. The dealer said theyve extended the warranty to 6yr/60k miles. Basically, the air pump assembly is in a spot where if you go through puddles, it could damage the valves and/or electrical connections. It's an expensive job ($5k according to the dealer). But it's not going to affect performance, as all that thing does is feed air into the cat at start up and run for a few min.

I had the water problem with the air pumps. Pumps turned out to be fine but had to replace a valve assembly under the intake manifold. Very easy problem to prevent. Just install hose clamps on the air pumps. They are down low by the pass front wheel. Very easy job. My pumps end up being fine even though the dealer wanted to replace both and the valve assembly for a total cost of 4K. I got the valve part from TRDparts4U for $350 and it put on for about 200.

I have 150,000 on my 08 and thats the only problem I have experienced.

Once you put on the hose clamp its no issue. The 07 and 08's just had a push on hose but later models come with clamps. If you were in deep water it would pull in water. The intake for the pump is high, it is just the pumps that are low. Nothing you would have a problem with in normal rains on streets. I cross 2 creeks getting into some hunting property and it can often be up to the bottom of the door.

Bailey,

I think others have the air pump question covered pretty well. Though I will add there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to which vehicles were contamintaed with water, and which ones were not.

Tow package inludes 4.30 gears, oil cooler, transmission cooler, aplace to plug in a brake controleer, and it should have the 4/7 pin connectors.

Brian-

From the dealer side I can tell you that I have not seen ANY 5.7s with mechanical engine or trans problems. They seem to be very strong and are similar in design to the 4.0 (Runners and Tacos) and the 3.5 (V6 in almost every car/small SUV) which are both very reliable.

I've been looking at some Tundras myself and I would personally try to shoot for 60-80k but that's just because I plan to keep it for a very long time and I'd like to start as low as possible.

Edit: There are TSBs for the Air Injection Pumps and the Drive Shafts. Might look around online and see if either one has been done on the particular truck you're looking at.

Just got a notice that Toyota is going to extend the coverage on the air pump issue to 150,000 miles and reimburse anyone that had to pay for it out of pocket. Finally.

Just got a notice that Toyota is going to extend the coverage on the air pump issue to 150,000 miles and reimburse anyone that had to pay for it out of pocket. Finally.

It's called a Customer Support Program warranty extension. It increases the warranty coverage to 10 years or 150,000 miles from the date of first use (delivery date) and applies only to 08-10 Sequoia and 07-10 Tundras.

BTW I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. They have (or did have, not sure if it's ended or not) 0% financing for 60 months and $1000 cash back, or $3000 cash back if you didn't do the 0%.

377228_10150427923624291_549574290_8194065_1175135453_n.jpg

381030_10150427922969291_549574290_8194060_276827339_n.jpg

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom