Tuffy II Console Solution and Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I bought a Tuffy II Console for an "FJ40" on line. When I got it I had problems installing it. Turns out that there is an extra bracket for an FJ40 you have to buy. Don't you hate it when there is always something else. I bought the bracket and then the heater hoses were in the way. I ended up cutting a square slot from the bottom up in the back of the bracket to make room for the hoses. I first cut holes, but that did not provide enough flexibility.
I finally got it all installed, and when I shift into 2nd or 4th the shifter knob hits the console. As long as I keep my hand on top of the shifter it is not really a problem. That is with the exception of the "klunk" when I shift into these gears.
What would happen if I bent the shifter shaft like Pipe about 2 inches up angle? I obviously don't want to risk breaking it off at the tranny. Anyone else have this problem and solved it?

I need to do the same thing with mine after I installed one of the CCOT consoles. I am very happy with the console and have been living with the shifter hitting it. The only reason I haven't bent it so far is that I don't have a way to heat it enough to bend.

if you can, the best bet is to remove the shifter lever and heat with a torch and bend it were needed i had to do this. then dip it in a bucket off water to cool it. (dont forget to remove the knob)

Can't you just re-drill the holes in the console to make it fit further back? I know a 78 and an 82 are different but this worked for me and I made my own rear mount(just a spacer out of pipe) I have lots of room for the shifter. Did they same thing in my fj60......worked great.

John H

This is how I solved the banging shifter problem. I took the bott cover off trying to see how to take the stick out. It was not obvious that you could easily take it out from the top. So I thought the point was to not put undo pressure on the interface between the tranny and the shaft. I took a landscaping brick and placed it between the base of the shaft and the heater. This was to prevent the part that connects to the tranny from being forced passed its position. I then bent up hard on the shaft and was able to get about 2 inches of clearance. Everything works fine now.

Its important that you take out the carpeting and the boot and place a cloth between the brick and the heater.

Well, thats what worked for me!

carpeting? boot? mine just goes straight down :-[ i've got a boot waiting to go in but haven't gotten around to it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom