Tubs: Aluminum vs. Steel (1 Viewer)

What adds more value?

• Steel Replacement Tub

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Aluminum Replacement Tub

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SS deal may be a poss. future project.

Soul_Man said:
Paul, who makes the Panama tubs, was thinking about making a stainless steel tub. Apparently it is harder to form and his presses etc wouldn't allow it unless he used a much thinner sheet. There is a company in Europe (Germany, I think) that has SS tubs, but prices and shipping were a biatch.

I voted for steel, that's what I bought!

Yes, you are right on the money in that the stainless would be harder to form in presses than regular mild steel. Another factor aside from the additional cost is the additional weight, Stainless Steel is a bit heavier material than regular steel.

After giving this some thought, I'm going to have to work on some plans for a stainless tub next year, I do have some understructure beneath the driver side floor that will need some attention, I had planned on replacing the outer skin (1/4's and rockers) in the spring, my tub was refabricated by a PO many years ago replacing the rear floor from the seat attachments back to the sill. Large diameter square tubing was used along the rear of the seats, and flat sheet on top of square tube structure, the wheel houses are still original, with a rusty rear sill.

I do think the replacements done by the po where pretty decent, I can only assume the 1/4'd where replaced as well but, I've not gone past the paint to see if they has been repaired or replaced. I'm thinking of using a similiar stucture or one of formed SS panels as structural supports very similiar to the original, the biggest task would be to try and replicate the original formed sheet metal for the rear floor, done in one piece with a beadroller this would be a task if not impossible. I think a few passes will a bead roller and done with two individual peices would be easier to do. I'm not a puriest but it is nice to try and stay true to the original design. I have been watching others here on this site and misc links to land crusier builds trying to learn as much as possible through others and their trial and errors. I hope with in two years to have a truck that will really be something to be proud of, not to mention done completely by my hands and no one else's.

What I would like to see is someone make an aluminum tub with the same factory ribs as the steel.

AL for Me

I did the AL tub 4 years ago and am glad I went that route. It is not orig. but then could a 40 with replacement steel tub be called original?

I've had numerous buddies with heeps that have gone fiberglass and most of them who actual used these trucks or put them together thought they sucked for a variety of reasons:

Wiring everything for ground- I dont think thats too difficult but I've not done it either.

Reinforcement in load bearing areas- some companies used to use everything from steel to plywood. the newer bodies I've seen have had steel and also kevlar, that doesn't seem too bad to me.

Poor mounting, poor fit and finish- I can atest to the fact that many fiberglass peices for those heeps do NOT fit well, windshield frames leak and don't fit well, doors don't mount easliy, sometimes things are not trimmed out and in the process of cutting them out people get stuck with a poor fit.

In the end I guess you get what you pay for obviously you need to do your homework to see who has bought what and from whom. Who makes the best stuff and who not to buy from, hey that's what makes this place so freakin great! years ago you were limited on information and feedback from people who have been there and done that, now all you need to do is point, click type and search about on mud, maybe throw a thread out there. I could not have gotten as far as I have on my FJ without this forum, peroid. I would have given up and hauled it to the boneyard a year ago. Not to mention I finally have some fellow gearheads to help me get my daily fix.

I love my fibreglass 40. I can wheel on the beach and not be worrying about my truck rusting away which is massive peace of mind. Reduced weight gives me better power to weight and better fuel economy.

I've not had any problems....I wasn't the one who fitted it though...

Lup:)

i would go with alu if you want long term low maintenance and don't care about original factory detail or a little galling/electrolosys. to be honest I think the stuff is tougher than the factory steel--my tub is like 3/16s thick. I would say actually it's a good trail rig choice as long as you don't crush it; then you're in trouble. But in terms of resisting minor trail stuff it holds up well in my experience.

if you are looking to resto then of course steel is the only way to go.

a lot of people swear by the fiberglass. If I had done the resto on my rig I would have gone glass instead of alu based on what I've experienced and know now. I have to say I'm really paranoid of doing a lot of damage to my alu and then looking at replacing it. the glass is another story. glass is easy to repair. you don't have all the paint and galling issues with glass etc. making ground points is easy, just not as convenient as tying things into the body etc.

B

Nick the Carpenter said:
i would go the fiber glass in oz rust is a problem here. Would not use if restoring as you loose all of the feature line in the body,including vents,my 2cents

Have you seen a Gozzard tub up close? I've not, however it looks to me all the lines and side vents are there:

http://www.gozzardcomposites.com/40series.html

I've heard tell from some folks in Calgary that a sledge was taken to some parts of the Gozzard product, and one could not tell. Gozzard boat building skill has gone into the product from a cruiserheads perspective. I would love to do a Gozzard tub at some point so I have 1st hand knowledge. Seems like a great product and viable choice for a Cruiser that will live it's life in the rustbelt. Look after the frame (galvanize) and put on a glass tub, then run it.

I've an aluminum tub on my BJ42 and do not regret it. With everything I did I simply don't worry about rust like I would with a metal one, and as I don't work metal this was a viable option that let me do the work. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=30807

However, if one was building a truck (restoration, not renovation) then steel would be very nice. Take the metal of modern times, treat and protect entire body with a zinc phosphate coating, epoxy prime, paint of choice, then something like linex on the entire underside, place on a galvanized frame, then linex the interior...

ahhhh....

At the end of the day whatever works for you is right.

gb

Greg_B said:
I've heard tell from some folks in Calgary that a sledge was taken to some parts of the Gozzard product, and one could not tell. Gozzard boat building skill has gone into the product from a cruiserheads perspective. I would love to do a Gozzard tub at some point so I have 1st hand knowledge. Seems like a great product and viable choice for a Cruiser that will live it's life in the rustbelt. Look after the frame (galvanize) and put on a glass tub, then run it.

gb

x2

Fibreglass is tough stuff. That sledge would just bounce off. Put my 40 backwards into a guard rail (wet road, reverse camber, yada, yada, yada....ok so it was my fault!) squashed the bumperette flat and bent the rear frame rail into the quarterpanel. Tub had a huge scuff mark but no damage at all. Steel or alu would have been dented but fibreglass will flex a certain amount and retain its shape. My tub is really quite thick and rigid. Not saying that it is stronger than steel or anything (maybe in a different way), but I came away from my "off" wondering how I didn't do more damage. New bumperette, bent the frame rail back and good as gold!

x2 on the galvanised chassis as well - not sure why more people don't go this option on ground up rebuilds. Another way to forget about the rust.

Lupdog said:
x2

Steel or alu would have been dented but fibreglass will flex a certain amount and retain its shape.

Depends on the steel tub. MIne is 3/16th thick, with 1/4" main supports.
Ask JonnyC on this board. His Poor Wallys tub (like mine) rolled a few times on the highway after slideing a few hundred feet and the tub was reused when they rebuild it. With the exception of some seriously deep road rash gouges, it held up fine.

That being said, the gozzard stuff is by far the nicest glass out there, and I have seen it take some real shots in the woods, looking none the worse for wear afterwards. I can say the same about the Aqualu tubs. They are very strong as well.

I bought fiber glass rear doors and top sides for an easy quick fix, I'm not sure who made them as they were an ebay purchase, they are NOT gossard. I have heard of this companies well built fiberglass components. I am rather impressed to hear of these earlier posted testimonals of crash resistance and toughness, that's great to see. I myself think the flexability of that material is cool, that bounce back could in fact save you a bit of money in the long run on trail rash repair.

BTW anyone ever use a Matkins Frame?

I posted a thread before I saw this one but I've been trying to order a Gozzard tub, hood, fenders and basically everything else he sells and was told he's having issues and has shut down production until at least December. Any one know who may have a new glass tub in stock for sale? I'm drving distance from Aqualu but would prefer Gozzard from what I've seen and read. Thanks. .....Steve

Steel said:
...I am not sure which route to go. What do you think adds more value to a rebuild: Steel or Aluminum ?

In regards to "value" in a rebuild... I suppose you mean resale. The answer would (almost always) be steel. However, do what you like and can afford. There are some nice aluminum cruisers here but don't fare well when dented.

Paul would be an awesome answer but he's far away and the US "distributor" marks his stuff up quite a bit (more that I expected for shipping and the trouble) and gives you a middle man.

I need a 3/4 tub myself and am not sure what I'll do just yet.

Good luck and let us know what you did.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom