Tubs: Aluminum vs. Steel (1 Viewer)

What adds more value?

• Steel Replacement Tub

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Aluminum Replacement Tub

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that there seems to be the option of a new steel tub ( http://www.heritagesheetmetal.com/) I am not sure which route to go. What do you think adds more value to a rebuild: Steel or Aluminum ?

for me it all depends on location. im in canada so its cheaper for me too go aluminum from aqualu, as far as shipping and such. i guess if your closer to heritage it would be cheaper that way. as far as value i have no clue. alot of other things have to factor in.

I would try to keep it original and stay with steel. That si what I am going to do.

I would go with a steel tub.

I can't afford any, but I would have to go steel. Is their any place that makes factory duplicate cowls, with the dash holes cut and the guage area recessed.

I took a hard look at the Aqualu aluminum tub. Even spoke to their company. But these tubs are not done like the originals,ie., dash is flat, no cutouts for instrument cluster,knobs,ashtry,etc. No zert nuts at attachment points(seats,windshield frame,etc). Some OEm holes are there most aren't. No OEM embossing. Few rounded corners,mostly squared off. Electrolosis issues. They said they look alot like the same from a distance outside, but from their own words,"not for the restorer!" So i changed my mind.

heres some pics of one of the nicest aluminum tubed 40's i have seen. this was at cruiser days last year and it was the first day this 40 was on the road in 11 years. i have more pics of the rest of it but these are the best of the tub.
Picture 653a.JPG
Picture 670a.JPG
Picture 648a.JPG

I would say STAINLESS STEEL why hasn't this caught on? Can't be any worse to paint than aluminum.

I've never seen one, but as much money as people are asking for tubs, I'm starting to wonder it I'm in the wrong business. Maybe I should hang up this environmental gig and buy a few brakes, mandrels, and start making these things out of stainless steel.

I've bought some SS rocker panels for a volkswagen, for several months I had people tell me you can't weld stainless, you can't weld stainless to regular steel, and you can't get paint to stick to it... blah blah blah, fact is that is all BS.

The major problem with stainless steel is the upfront cost of the materail. It is expensive compared to mild steel. Frankly with the steel work that I have to do I'm very tempted to go in for the full monty and fab a stainless tub from the door back, some of the mild steel will have to remain as some area around the doors and the sill the top sits on might be too hard to fabricate easily. Stainless steel is in fact quite easy to weld with the right gas and wire.

Paul, who makes the Panama tubs, was thinking about making a stainless steel tub. Apparently it is harder to form and his presses etc wouldn't allow it unless he used a much thinner sheet. There is a company in Europe (Germany, I think) that has SS tubs, but prices and shipping were a biatch.

I voted for steel, that's what I bought!

steel retains value, has better oem looking aftermarket parts, and gets you away from the differing metals issue. with good knowledge of the areas to watch out for and regular cleaning and touching up of chipped/scratched paint areas, steel can last a very long time.

F-junker said:
I've never seen one, but as much money as people are asking for tubs, I'm starting to wonder it I'm in the wrong business. Maybe I should hang up this environmental gig and buy a few brakes, mandrels, and start making these things out of stainless steel.

This will be the best way to find out why they cost what they do, and why they are made from steel, galvanized steel, or aluminum.....

Good luck!

-Steve

My vote is steel.

Repairs to steel are easier unless you are a good welder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom