Trying to replace seal for leaking manual steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've finally successfully removed the pitman arm because I knew that was a must in order to replace the seal that I suspect was causing the leak from the steering box. I received the sector shaft seal from Toyota but now I'm not seeing exactly how to replace it. I've read certain threads that say you don't need to take the box out. Couldn't figure out how that'd work so I decided to pull it out and maybe take it apart (not driving it for a while anyway). But once I took all the fasteners off the mount I couldn't get it off due to the permanently fixed mounting bolts (picture included) and the main shaft preventing me from lifting it enough to clear those bolts. Ive been looking in the manual and scouring MUD for any better clues on how to do this. Any advice is always greatly appreciated!

image1.jpeg

If you need to, unbolt the colum from the firewall and dash to get the clearance you’ll need. I’ve got away with unbolting the rag joint and sliding it closer to the steering box.

Thanks bikersmurf,
I'll have to give that a try. I did unbolt the rag joint and slid it all the way down to the box but still cant get it over those mounting bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom