Trying to install my OEM PTO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am replacing my transmission (pic will explain why) and figured that I can install my PTO as well.

When I connect the PTO to the T/C and bolt it all down, none of my gears turn. Basically my PTO gear seems too big and once tightened it jams everything up.

Question: are there two different size PTO gears?

Question: I have 2 spacers. I know this is uncommon and I have a good idea how they are installed due to a previous thread, but any other input regarding this is helpful.

Background: '70ish transmission, '70ish PTO, '65 Transfer Case

Help is greatly desired. thanks,

Dave
IMG_2354.jpg
IMG_2353.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg

Dave,

AH HA.. I see you have the same thing I do.

That second smaller spacer I put behind the pto gear and infront of the bearing. That spacer dia is not perfect on the shaft because the splines neck down at that point and it ends up binding the bearing.

Slide it all together then you need to line up that spacer on the bearing while tightening it up.

Did this cruiser have a Ramsey PTO on it?

:beer: :beer:

Wes

Last edited:
I am not aware of a PTO gear that is a different diameter....

On other things that have PTO provisions that I have worked on in the past, it is not uncommon to need to stack gaskets in order to get the gears to mesh properly and not make noise when running...

PTO gearbox spins freeley by hand, correct?

Can you feel the gears binding together as you draw the PTO box mounting bolts down mounting the box to the case?

If they are all out finger tight but 'close' do things turn?

wesintl said:
Dave,

AH HA.. I see you have the same thing I do.

That second smaller spacer I put behind the pto gear and infront of the bearing. That spacer dia is not perfect and binds the bearing.

Slide it all together then you need to line up that spacer on the bearing while tightening it up.

Yes there are different gears (meaning the nose on the gear is different and there are different spacers. I have a 25 and 2 early 40 parts books that show the spacer differences.

Wes

But the diameter of the PTO gear remains the same correct?

wesintl said:
Dave,

Did this cruiser have a Ramsey PTO on it?

Wes

No, a pto did not come with this vehicle. A couple months ago I attempted to install a Ramsey PTO, but lost interest and put everything back together.

Dave

Poser said:
PTO gearbox spins freeley by hand, correct?

Can you feel the gears binding together as you draw the PTO box mounting bolts down mounting the box to the case?

If they are all out finger tight but 'close' do things turn?

A: PTO gearbox spins freeley by hand.

A#2: Yes, things start to bind and I am getting close to tightening things up.

A#3: Yes, things still turn at finger tight.

Question/statement: So, it is ok for me to go and stack gaskets in this situation?

Dave

Are you using a gasket or silicone?

If you push/press the PTO box onto the case with it finger tight, does it still turn, or does it bind again?

If you have two or three gaskets, give it a shot...

The Toyota PTO gaskets are not very thick, compared to the Spicer units..so it may take a few....or you could get thicker gasket material and cut yourself a couple...

Poser said:
Are you using a gasket or silicone?

If you push/press the PTO box onto the case with it finger tight, does it still turn, or does it bind again?

If you have two or three gaskets, give it a shot...

The Toyota PTO gaskets are not very thick, compared to the Spicer units..so it may take a few....or you could get thicker gasket material and cut yourself a couple...

I am using a gasket.

Haven't tried pushing on the PTO box while it is finger tight, but at finger tight things turn. It binds when I go from finger tight to wrench tight.

I only have one Toyota gasket, but I can run to the store and get a thicker material if you think that is my best option right now.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

sorry I mistook the binding as the tranny output binding when turning, not the pto box binding it when on.

Also I meant the gear is different in that i've seen a different nose on the pto gear. Basically not having to use the large spacer in front of the pto like the manual shows.

warrior_1515 said:
I am using a gasket.

Haven't tried pushing on the PTO box while it is finger tight, but at finger tight things turn. It binds when I go from finger tight to wrench tight.

I only have one Toyota gasket, but I can run to the store and get a thicker material if you think that is my best option right now.

Thanks again for your help,

Dave

It is worth a shot bud....

Get enough to make a few.

:beer:

Poser said:
But the diameter of the PTO gear remains the same correct?

Yeah. I'm talking about the spacer. The dia of the spacer is the same too it's just on the splines you have to physically line up the spacer on the bearing and tighen the output shaft on the back of the back of the t-case.

Is the output shaft tight on the t-case?

Alright, I'm on crack today. I didn't see any spacer sizes looking through my 4 old books. I must have been thinking of something else. Man my memory is fading :(

Last edited:
I have never encountered this with OEM parts. But with the Orion in one of my rigs, I had to cut an 1/8 inch spacer and use a gasket on both sides of it. Otherwise the gears were too close together.

Mark...

Thanks guys for the help.

I used a 1/16'' gasket paper and one did the trick. Unfortunately my exhaust is in the way, so I will be dealing with that before it is complete.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom