Trust an engine replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! This is my first post in the forum. I am trying to officially become part of the club. I have found a 200 series that has 180k on the clock and has had an reman engine installed at a Toyota dealership that has 20k on it. Is this something to be scared of or happy about? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Hello all! This is my first post in the forum. I am trying to officially become part of the club. I have found a 200 series that has 180k on the clock and has had an reman engine installed at a Toyota dealership that has 20k on it. Is this something to be scared of or happy about? Would love to hear your thoughts!
I would be very curious as to the reason. Was it a fluke failure or was the thing poorly maintained?

Depends on what reman meant in the specific case. If it was a Toyota remanufactured engine, I'd feel good about it. If it was remanufactured by some less reputable source, not so much.

I bought one of my vehicles specifically because it had a factory new engine and transmission replaced by the dealer with factory parts.

I would be very curious as to the reason. Was it a fluke failure or was the thing poorly maintained?
I was thinking the same thing. I have inquired with the seller. It doesn’t look like it was maintained at a dealer for most it’s life.

Depends on what reman meant in the specific case. If it was a Toyota remanufactured engine, I'd feel good about it. If it was remanufactured by some less reputable source, not so much.

I bought one of my vehicles specifically because it had a factory new engine and transmission replaced by the dealer with factory parts.
It says it was a Toyota reman. I have asked for more details on that too.

You're on the right track asking lots of questions. Could be something like the radiator blew and took out the engine, or it could be the whole truck has had little maintenance. This one will need a really good pre-purchase inspection if you go ahead with your interest.

Radiator failure is very common on these, and while it is usually quite slow to progress, if the owner weren’t paying attention it could turn into an issue. Does it say the radiator was replaced as well?

Less common is the valley plate leak, but same problem if it isn’t caught in time.

As others said, if it was a toyota reman replaced by a dealer (would most likely be a master tech for a job this big) I would strongly consider it.

Ok, since you posted the Ebay ad, I see now if's the same truck just posted in the Mud classified.

Simi related. On my F150 I was chasing all kinds of issues, sensors and the like. Got tired of the issues and put a remanufactured engine in and have not had a problem since. The engine was remanufactured by Keystone but so far it has gone 50-60k miles with no issues. Given that experience, if Toyota does the remanufacture its probably something that is going to last.

As others have said, could be poor maintenance overall though and there could be other issues. Get it checked out before you buy.

Well there's the 5.7Ls from Japan and then there's the ones built for USA. You're probably getting the US built 5.7 in there.

There is no such thing as a Toyota “remanufactured” engine. Never.

I think incorrect terminology is being used.

I’d want to see that repair order receipt for sure.
This guy knows what he’s talking about. I agree on seeking the repair order.

The radiator looks like a recently replaced non-OEM radiator from the pictures in the MUD post. It doesn't have the stamped text on the square boss on top and the plastic looks a little different than mine. I'd doubt that a TOYOTA remanufactured engine was installed either, as stated above. Also, at $24k, I think he's a bit high on price, even given the condition. Not a lot of people are looking to spend $24k on a 12 year old truck with 180k miles. I'd want to get it for ~20k if the paperwork on the engine replacement checks out.

From the classified thread:
Car blew a head gasket in 2016. Warped the block. So the dealer installed a remanufactured one.

Also:

I think this is a flip. This car was on FB marketplace a couple weeks ago listed for $18.5k and sold. FB post showed St. Simon Island, GA as the location, same as current sellers picture of receipts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom