Trunion Bearings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey B-

I'm in the getting ready stages to do my birfs in about a month and have been busy downloading all the instructions and tips I find. I put together a list of the parts needed for each of the category A, B, or C rebuilds from your post the other day (on the birfs topic) so I could see it all in one simple grid. I then started going thru the instructions that Jim (and others) put together and posted in the Tech section, and I'm seeing these trunion bearings for your B rebuild kit, however, nowhere in Jim's instructions does it say anything about how these are installed or what you have to do to replace them.

I've seen elsewhere where you've said this is an easy job, but looking at the BGB, it looks like you need an arbor press to get the races in/out. Or am I just reading too much into this?

Are there any tips/instructions for this part of the job? With 91K on my truck now, if I do the birfs, I'd just as soon replace these bearings too if it doesn't make an 8 hour 1 :banana: job into a 16 hour and 6 :banana: job. Not to mention the :beer:.

TIA,

Tom

Tom,

I'll but in here. The Wulf is at a meeting of some sort at the moment.

90366-20003 x 4. Drive the races out with a drift, install the new races, pack the new bearings with molly and go. You don't need to spend time cleaning up the old ones, just toss 'em over your shoulder. As you are not spending any time on clean-up and inspection the over-all time is not that much longer when you replace them.

Dan.  :beer:

BTW, 2 of mine were bad at 96,000 miles

Thanks Dan. Sounds like only 1/2 :banana:

Tom

Dan,

Bad? The bearings or the races?

Bearings, both lower ones. A few of the rollers had flat spots. It felt "notchy" when the knuckle was turned back and forth(bare, with the tie rods removed).

Tom,
Somehow C-Dan said in 3 lines what would take me 3 paragraphs.

He musta left something out but for the life of me I can't figure out what was omitted.

Oh well.... 1/2 :banana: for sure.
-B-

Morgan's link in the tech section covers the replacement of the trunion bearings (knuckle bearings), albeit on an older Land Cruiser.  Same procedure on an 80 series, though.

Link to the article:
http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/part4.html

Removing the races:
rem_knuckle_race-2.jpg

scamper
see if you can score a race driver set before you start, teh drift is great for removal but the race driver will save you a lot of cursing as you go on.
I agree about a 1/2 :banana:
Dave :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom