Truck No Start, No Crank, but see voltage draw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I thought I would be stranded, but I'm still new at this and not sure if this is my exact problem. At first I assumed it was the battery so hooked up to another truck but couldn't get it to start.

When I turned the key I would see that the voltage draw down on the gauges, but no sound at all.
It was super hot in the desert and my truck tends to run a little hot when it gets hot outside (not sure if this was a contributing factor).

I then assumed that maybe it was the starter so I hit it a few times with a crescent wrench i had laying around and it started right up.
Haven't had any issues since then and it's started up every time since this happened a month ago.

How can I know for sure it's the starter that's going bad? Is there some test that I can do?

Based on your test of hitting the starter, I would say replace it ASAP before you get stranded again and hitting the starter won't start it.
It's probably the brushes in the start that are going bad and you can't test that accurately. You can replace the brushes for around $70
or replace it with a Denso reman for about $170.

I'm currently dealing with the same issue right now.

Based on your test of hitting the starter, I would say replace it ASAP before you get stranded again and hitting the starter won't start it.
It's probably the brushes in the start that are going bad and you can't test that accurately. You can replace the brushes for around $70
or replace it with a Denso reman for about $170.

I'm currently dealing with the same issue right now.
Seems like it should be pretty easy to replace for the 3FE.

I see a few remans on rockauto. Do you know if those are any good by any chance?

Time for a new starter. Mine did the same thing when the starter went out.

FWIW I bought one from NAPA and it's been fine, even in below zero weather.

I have been using the hit the starter method for about 6 months and it was progressively getting worst overtime. So i got the rebuild kit and basically got a used starter and DIY, the rebuilding was straight forward, but after installing the new starter, i still have intermittent no start, but only once every 5 times sort of thing. It turned out my grounding straps needed to be replaced from all the years of wheeling, the factory straps were taken a beating. Replaced the ground straps and added a couple more and it has never been a problem since.

A decrepit negative batt terminal clamp can cause this issue too. Cheap insurance to replace if needed.

Looks like it's not that easy to do on a 3FE (removal, not sure about rebuild) as Jon has documented here: 3FE Starter rebuild Oh My - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-starter-rebuild-oh-my.400654/
Any thoughts?
It isn't that bad to do on a 3FE. I did this awhile back and documented how:

Once the starter is on the bench, the rebuild is easy. Just remember that as you tighten the copper nuts on the contact studs, they will want to rotate. You MUST make sure the new contacts are sitting flat or you will be back inside the starter doing this again in short order. The brim of the plunger "hat" has to make good contact with the contacts at the bottom or they will wear very quickly.
Also take the time to clean out the bore and spring of the solenoid plunger. Some lightweight grease will keep things moving smoothly.

Also note that there are part differences between the 3FE starter and the 1FZ starter. Make sure you get the correct parts.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. Wasnt the battery since I had just bought a new one. Took it to Firestone Automotive to get the starter checked (~$30) and they said it was fine. Then it failed to start up again and took it back. They checked it again and said it was fine. Could be the connectors and for that I'd have to take it to an auto electrician. That was last year and I havent fixed anything yet and luckily have not had any problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom