Trip Up Rice Peak (Weds. 21 Nov. 2012) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to meet a buddy at 10:30 AM at the Rice peak Turnoff (by Peppersauce Campground) on Weds.

He is bringing an old-style Bronco (I think '67) for his "shakedown cruise". He is coming up through Oracle from Oro Valley.

I am coming over the top on the Oracle Control Road.

Anyone who is interested in joining us is welcomed.

John - I hope you can hook up with us. It's right in your neck of the woods.

Rocky (aka Chuck)

Fun Adventure - What A Nightmare....

We did not make Rice Peak. We did not make it off the Oracle Control Road.

All of a sudden, after turing a sharp U-Turn (hairpin) after the bumps, I heard this Helicopter sound... Hmmmm...

P1010010_sm.jpg

Tucson-20121121-00106_sm.JPG

Drilling / Pounding out those 4 studs was a nightmare... A buddy came up with a truckload of tools & equipment (generator, drill, grinder, etc.)

We finally got back on the road right about sunset...

Good Times!

Rocky (aka Chuck)

P1010010_sm.jpg

Tucson-20121121-00106_sm.JPG

My Buddy has a great Bronco...

Anyway - we spent a lot of time "preparing for the work to come", i.e. hanging out, drinking beer, eating, and enjoying the beautiful day, while supplies were mobilized from Tucson. Here's a couple pictures of his rig...

Overall - fun times, even though it was a big headache.....

P1010008_sm.jpg

P1010009_sm.jpg

P1010011_sm.jpg

P1010008_sm.jpg

P1010009_sm.jpg

P1010011_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Those lugs are a beast!! I spent an afternoon couple of years ago trying to bang out 1. Big ass headache!!! Glad you were on the highway when those things went. Glad ya had a buddy available with mobile tools. Glad a got back safely. Happy Trails!!

p

Thanks - I could not have broken down in a better spot!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am going to meet a buddy at 10:30 AM at the Rice peak Turnoff (by Peppersauce Campground) on Weds.

He is bringing an old-style Bronco (I think '67) for his "shakedown cruise". He is coming up through Oracle from Oro Valley.

I am coming over the top on the Oracle Control Road.

Anyone who is interested in joining us is welcomed.

John - I hope you can hook up with us. It's right in your neck of the woods.

Rocky (aka Chuck)

Sorry I missed the carnage..;)
Count your blessings that didn't happen somewhere like Turkey Creek. Is the rim still ok?

Like I said - it was the best place to break down - ever!

No damage to anything but the studs and my pocketbook (and that was even minor).

I am seriously considering getting rid of these aluminum wheels and going to steelies....

Sorry we missed you. We would have enjoyed chit-chatting for many hours - because we sure weren't going anywhere!

Chuck

I had 3 of those bust on 2 wheels before. I've since replaced them all and keep spares in the rig. :hillbilly:

I haven't taken my poor rig out in ages. :frown:

Like I said - it was the best place to break down - ever!

No damage to anything but the studs and my pocketbook (and that was even minor).

I am seriously considering getting rid of these aluminum wheels and going to steelies....

Sorry we missed you. We would have enjoyed chit-chatting for many hours - because we sure weren't going anywhere!

Chuck

Let me know if you go steel, I could use some spares.:cheers:

I had 3 of those bust on 2 wheels before. I've since replaced them all and keep spares in the rig. :hillbilly:

I haven't taken my poor rig out in ages. :frown:

You need a local post office my friend.:hillbilly:

We need to get the Southern AZ Annex of the CSC out on the trail again sometime.

It would be fun.

Chuck

PS> I did learn a good lesson on keeping spare studs / lugs in the toolbox...

Curious you didn't replace them while the axle shaft was still in the axle? Never had a failure on the road so always did them at home. For trail replacement I would carry a good hand sledgehammer, couple of brass punches and deep socket. Deep socket more for protecting the threads while seating the new stud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom