Trekboxx Alpha vs Goose Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I'm looking at building out the storage area in my LC200 Heritage and feel like I've got it narrowed down to these two brands. Also, I'm a believer in "cry once, buy once" or whatever the saying is lol.

My requirements are as follows:
1. need fridge and reasonable drawer storage
2. will not incorporate sleeping platform inside
3. I would like to have a barrier between the cargo and rear passenger areas
4. cooking can be incorporated into the drawer or separate

So...what are your thoughts on these brands and which do you prefer and why? I know XO uses Goose and so does Paul May at Equipt (because he's also a distributor for them?). Price aside, what would you buy for your rig?

TIA
-Patrick

Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, XO is sponsored by Goose Gear. I’d take that into account. In the their early videos (when they had a 1st Gen Tacoma and 100-series) they installed ARB drawers in their vehicles.

Between the two I would buy goosegear if I had to part with big money for drawers.

Food for thought. Based on what I paid, can buy ARB drawers, ARB fridge, Alucab fridge slide, a full dual battery system, and a cargo divider and spend the same as the alpha system ($6k before add on options)

I very, very rarely shop price but I feel it’s worth pointing out just how different the options are.

I had a very expensive Goose Gear system in my old Tacoma, and while it functioned fine, it did not feel very premium at all for the price. It's basically 80/20 with fiberboard material, and I personally much prefer the ARB carpeted look and feel (and insulation and noise attenuation). I have never owned a Trekboxx system, so I cannot comment.

Here was the setup in the Tacoma - I bought the truck built, and after owning it for a while I definitely would never have paid what the original did to set the truck up. It was fun though!

AM-JKLXbnTi0SUTVZtXLCwHr9RZ8yvVn8ySwMyVMkNADOK1l6gHXrcYtXH2idt9cEDPQ0wdB3d4frdJRCF7C_ax1AvdwT_hx25gDuGBvWYmKsMjLuyLW8PKwgaozy6v7M2LizysOCBHaHaC4RXw0plyLnw1X_w=w3486-h2324-no

AM-JKLUlXHPvGh01aCMnxky0Jqjd067VkGkkpyKzvZ6Ke-xRdtT2RGrFIzA4bTVf83_3K4pzQMgQ_UpQVDo2zBdZS1FRRscPpfIGzbDGAPGzOD5YkBiJwJbxbk_m7ztEcsJ_q5gL2X82ydyRWDRGulAu7l8CuA=w3634-h2422-no

I’d spend more for the Trekboxx after owning Goose Gear. So many other great options as well so don’t just limit yourself to those two.

The Trekboxx is very high quality. I've wanted one for years, but can't swallow the cost. But if cost wasn't an object, I'd be all over it. It is designed to be a premium product from the ground up with top quality materials and an owner that stands behind everything he makes (and who has been an active 'mudder, too).

For me, the biggest problem would be choosing between a system Alpha, that I'd need the functionality for at most a dozen times a year, or the Bravo that is more like what I have today and is a great day-to-day setup - I don't keep my fridge in the vehicle unless I'm on a trip... And the dogs like having the space.

Nobody asked, but what I'd like is a 50%/50% split system that has a module with a fridge and stove slide for one side and a plain cargo box on the other. The fridge side would also have a same size cargo box that could be easily swapped in depending on the need. 95% of the time I'd leave the cargo box in, but when I want to go on a trip, in goes the one with the fridge slide.

I think Goose gear may be a good move if you want a lot of customization, but other than their base plate, I've read mixed reviews about the materials they use and the quality.

Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, XO is sponsored by Goose Gear. I’d take that into account. In the their early videos (when they had a 1st Gen Tacoma and 100-series) they installed ARB drawers in their vehicles.
Interesting - good to consider. Thx

Between the two I would buy goosegear if I had to part with big money for drawers.

Food for thought. Based on what I paid, can buy ARB drawers, ARB fridge, Alucab fridge slide, a full dual battery system, and a cargo divider and spend the same as the alpha system ($6k before add on options)

I very, very rarely shop price but I feel it’s worth pointing out just how different the options are.
Great points - since I'm at he beginning of fitting out my cargo area these are great things to think about

I had a very expensive Goose Gear system in my old Tacoma, and while it functioned fine, it did not feel very premium at all for the price. It's basically 80/20 with fiberboard material, and I personally much prefer the ARB carpeted look and feel (and insulation and noise attenuation). I have never owned a Trekboxx system, so I cannot comment.

Here was the setup in the Tacoma - I bought the truck built, and after owning it for a while I definitely would never have paid what the original did to set the truck up. It was fun though!

AM-JKLXbnTi0SUTVZtXLCwHr9RZ8yvVn8ySwMyVMkNADOK1l6gHXrcYtXH2idt9cEDPQ0wdB3d4frdJRCF7C_ax1AvdwT_hx25gDuGBvWYmKsMjLuyLW8PKwgaozy6v7M2LizysOCBHaHaC4RXw0plyLnw1X_w=w3486-h2324-no

AM-JKLUlXHPvGh01aCMnxky0Jqjd067VkGkkpyKzvZ6Ke-xRdtT2RGrFIzA4bTVf83_3K4pzQMgQ_UpQVDo2zBdZS1FRRscPpfIGzbDGAPGzOD5YkBiJwJbxbk_m7ztEcsJ_q5gL2X82ydyRWDRGulAu7l8CuA=w3634-h2422-no
Thank you for this - great insights.

The Trekboxx is very high quality. I've wanted one for years, but can't swallow the cost. But if cost wasn't an object, I'd be all over it. It is designed to be a premium product from the ground up with top quality materials and an owner that stands behind everything he makes (and who has been an active 'mudder, too).

For me, the biggest problem would be choosing between a system Alpha, that I'd need the functionality for at most a dozen times a year, or the Bravo that is more like what I have today and is a great day-to-day setup - I don't keep my fridge in the vehicle unless I'm on a trip... And the dogs like having the space.

Nobody asked, but what I'd like is a 50%/50% split system that has a module with a fridge and stove slide for one side and a plain cargo box on the other. The fridge side would also have a same size cargo box that could be easily swapped in depending on the need. 95% of the time I'd leave the cargo box in, but when I want to go on a trip, in goes the one with the fridge slide.

I think Goose gear may be a good move if you want a lot of customization, but other than their base plate, I've read mixed reviews about the materials they use and the quality.
Thanks for these points - this is exactly why I'm asking - for feedback and ideas. I have struggled with the idea of a dedicated rig vs adding more daily functionality. The permanent fridge frame and slide is great when being used as such but is a space hog the rest of the time. Maybe the Bravo is the way to go. Consensus on GG materials seems to be just ok. Thanks again!

Thanks for these points - this is exactly why I'm asking - for feedback and ideas. I have struggled with the idea of a dedicated rig vs adding more daily functionality. The permanent fridge frame and slide is great when being used as such but is a space hog the rest of the time. Maybe the Bravo is the way to go. Consensus on GG materials seems to be just ok. Thanks again!
I don't really want to comment on the main purpose of this thread, but just an FYI for you guys. I make a fridge area cover so you can pull the fridge surround and pop it in and have a flat place day to day. Drawers are all still functional. Cages have welded nuts so unbolting/reinstalling is fast. Cover goes in with 4 star knobs.

IMG_8764.JPG

I'm looking at the same options. If money was not a factor, I'd go with the Trekboxx without a doubt. Has anyone checked out the SS1 Platform for the 200 series, Premier package from AirDownGearUp? Not at pricey as Trekboxx but still seems to be a quality option with a full length access drawer. And they will do a 1/2 width system if you'd like.

1643405477139.png

I have the goose gear and love them! The fit and finish is nice and no rattles!

BDA59B73-92F6-4AF8-A3CC-4B2442A930E1.jpeg

A9679A7E-B87F-42AE-9EB9-CD5FAD187100.jpeg

D8304B9A-ABA2-4B82-813D-FFFA6869E4AE.jpeg

53F87DA2-2712-45CC-B633-578AD99AF2A3.jpeg

BB6D4775-E934-45CA-B201-F01FD25861C3.jpeg

I have a Trekboxx system in mine and I love it. When I bought, it had the side wings and Goose Gear did not, which put it over the top. Several of my friends have Goose Gear systems and they are very happy with them. They are comparable systems from a quality and weight standpoint because the slides are the heavy part.

Two key differences:

Trekboxx bolts to the truck using custom brackets that carry the weight sort of floating the system. Goose Gear uses a plate system that bolts in and sits on the carpet. Both are removable but the Goose Gear system pieces are easier to remove and modular, so you could set it up for different purposes more easily.

Because it is modular, and can be moved to a different vehicle if desired, the Goose Gear fridge cabinet is static and only accommodates fridges of certain dimensions. Most 50l will fit but not the larger sizes. The Trekboxx system fridge cage can be adjusted to fit a greater variety (and larger) fridges.

I decided on Trekboxx. Planning around a fridge didn’t make sense for my use, so I went with the Bravo system. Had a center divider fabricated to corral my dog away from our food and gear. It’s lined up with the folding seat split so I can still carry longer items easily. The construction, installation, fit and quietness exceeded my expectations.

7B6D5DF9-F724-486B-8FDC-6574440747B5.jpeg

B41AE26F-20AD-4392-A5CA-034D66AE607B.jpeg

Last edited:
I will tell you this, I bought the Alpha and would never look back. I have had ARB and also, Australian Outback. The AO was close to what David has built but the Trekboxx is far superior (IMHO) to everything available. The SCHTUFF is expensive because it is quality. It will last the duration and will be useable in your next LC (provided one is built). Customer service cannot be surpassed. I had an issue following my install that David and I could not solve over the phone. I offered to fly him out to Dallas from California, and he came at his own expense. He spent an entire day to remedy the problem at no charge. So, needless to say, I am a customer for life.

I have the shelf David references above and it is truly a game changer for daily use. When on an expedition, the shelf comes out with 4 easy allen wrench screws and I am back to fridge and on my way.

How much, roughly, do all these weigh?

I will tell you this, I bought the Alpha and would never look back. I have had ARB and also, Australian Outback. The AO was close to what David has built but the Trekboxx is far superior (IMHO) to everything available. The SCHTUFF is expensive because it is quality. It will last the duration and will be useable in your next LC (provided one is built). Customer service cannot be surpassed. I had an issue following my install that David and I could not solve over the phone. I offered to fly him out to Dallas from California, and he came at his own expense. He spent an entire day to remedy the problem at no charge. So, needless to say, I am a customer for life.

I have the shelf David references above and it is truly a game changer for daily use. When on an expedition, the shelf comes out with 4 easy allen wrench screws and I am back to fridge and on my way.
Kind words- much appreciated. It was fantastic to meet you. And I haven't forgotten about your straps- i have some hardware on the way to trick them out.
How much, roughly, do all these weigh?
I'd guess we're probably the heaviest at roughly 275 for the full Alpha. The base systems run about 200-210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom