TRD Pro Bilstein Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did a Bilstein solution ever come together for the 200s? Speaking purely from price, if we can figure out the parts required this seems like a good mid-range option that's going to result in a better ride than the low-end OMEs but should be less expensive than a $3400 BP-51 setup?

Edit: What are the differences between the Tundra suspension setups and what we need on our 200s? This 6112/5160 set for just over $1k seems like a great place to start - is anyone offering something similar for our trucks?

Last edited:
Did a Bilstein solution ever come together for the 200s? Speaking purely from price, if we can figure out the parts required this seems like a good mid-range option that's going to result in a better ride than the low-end OMEs but should be less expensive than a $3400 BP-51 setup?

Edit: What are the differences between the Tundra suspension setups and what we need on our 200s? This 6112/5160 set for just over $1k seems like a great place to start - is anyone offering something similar for our trucks?

That's the setup I went to copy. I *should* have pushed and tried to figure out the 5160s for the rear but decided at the time it was easier to go w/ LC parts for the rear and I landed on the Fox 2.0s, which I felt a nominal upgrade over the standard OMEs. That said, they are "good" but not in same category of the 6112s. I had a few "oh crap" moments during my last trip, going a bit too fast into whoops, in the past I would have bottomed out hard and even though I had 3 guys, and the the truck loaded to the brim it NEVER bottomed. So I guess I can't complain about the Fox either. Dare I even say the washboards don't bother me now, just need to find the right speed which isn't on the slow end of the spectrum haha...

And same as you I wanted something in between the OMEs and a full on race suspension (well I really wanted the full on race suspension but time/cost got in the way, I compromised, and now I'm really glad I did). Not sure I will ever do anything where I need that extra reservoir, the "high speed" desert driving I do currently must not be fast enough cause I haven't felt "needing" an upgrade, but nor have I wanted to go faster. I don't race, nor jump the truck, but I do enjoy the speed in the sand!! If i do anything to my suspension in the future will be to replace the rears w/ the 5160s or the King remote reservoirs. @bjowett I really should have tried the 5160s and asked you to make them fit the LC for me and will still look to do this at some point.

To your initial question you can't just plug and play the Tundra stuff w/out changing some OEM parts. I mean... I think you *can* by changing the mounting hardware but given the lengths and geometries are different I couldn't see this being good for your other OEM components. Either way, the solution is easy for the front, more difficult and $$ for the rear. In all honestly I think the biggest "upgrade" may have come from the added width/length of the Tundra IFS vs the rest of the suspension upgrades. Hard to tell since I did it all at once but that's my guess, just "raising" the vehicle w/out providing extra width doesn't seem like a recipe for better handling to me -- that said you could achieve width using wheel spacers too but wouldn't get that extra inch or so of articulation that the Tundra IFS provides.

Given how many other (all other?) Toyota BOF platforms Bilstein's built specific support for, I'm kind of surprised they haven't offered a 200 series setup. I may reach out and see if I get any feedback from them.

Edit/Update: called the Bilstein North America Aftermarket division and spoke with a woman named Taren; I expressed the community's interest for an OEM-supported solution, and she took my info and is going to get in touch with her truck department and get back to me this week.

Last edited:
Got a response from Bilstein's customer service rep Taryn today (that was fast!) -

"I have now heard back from the truck department. The only thing they could confirm is that they do have a 6112 front and 5160 rear in development for the 08-17 Land Cruiser. But they don’t think you will see those parts released this year. They were looking at more a 8-10 month lead time for product to be released in the market."

So not great that it isn't available yet, but at least there may be more options in the future...

Got a response from Bilstein's customer service rep Taryn today (that was fast!) -

"I have now heard back from the truck department. The only thing they could confirm is that they do have a 6112 front and 5160 rear in development for the 08-17 Land Cruiser. But they don’t think you will see those parts released this year. They were looking at more a 8-10 month lead time for product to be released in the market."

So not great that it isn't available yet, but at least there may be more options in the future...
Bilstein is less than 10 mins from my house. Maybe we could help speed up by offering a 200 series. Problem w/ mine is I have the Tundra setup on front (but I run the 6112s so they may be keen on seeing). But there are other 200s in the area that might be interested in helping out, in the name of more options for the rest of you. Want to make the offer to "Taryn"? Based on what they say we can exchange some contact info. I'm loving these shocks, and really want the 5160s for the rear!!

I have the 6112/5100 FJ Cruiser combo. Also wondering if bjowett or anyone else has found a good set of rear shocks that work well with the 6112s.

Hey when you say you have the FJ cruiser combo, do you mean that you have the FJ 6112 installed on your 200? Please let me know.

I spoke with tech support at Bilstein a couple of months back, they also said something is in the works for the 200.

Took these specs from the OEM applications from King Shocks - this was the easiest place for me to quick grab shock lengths. I have a hard time finding these specs from Bilstein. IIRC the FJ shocks/struts have the same mounting points on top and bottom as 200 series so I believe they are a direct fit in the sense that they will "fit" w/out major modification. That said... take a look at the differences in extended/compressed, you would have to be comfortable w/ the differences to install the FJ parts. The rear applications are very close, but I'd never install the FJ parts in the front (LC shock is over 3.5" longer at extension in the front).

25001-133 FJ Cruiser 10+ Front Coil Overs Compressed: 16.8" Extended: 21.69" Diff: 4.89"
25001-125 FJ Cruiser 06-09 Rear Shocks Compressed: 15.58" Extended: 24.29" Diff: 8.71"

25001-266 Land Cruiser 200 08+ Front Coil Overs Compressed: 18.397" Extended: 25.271" Diff: 6.874"
25001-267 Land Cruiser 200 08+ Rear Shocks Compressed: 15.872" Extended 24.338" Diff: 8.617"

And for fun...

25001-143 Tundra 07+ Front Coil Overs Compressed: 18.396" Extended: 25.27" Diff: 6.874"
(rear application not comparable)

Looking at the specs above I should have researched this more and tried to install the FJ 5160s for my rear shocks. Via @Tremek I've offered up my 200 to Bilstein if they need it. See what they say... prob... take a hike and wait until we're ready! :p

Edit: @bjowett is the expert here, I'm sure he's tried most of these combinations.

Last edited:
Took these specs from the OEM applications from King Shocks - this was the easiest place for me to quick grab shock lengths. I have a hard time finding these specs from Bilstein. IIRC the FJ shocks/struts have the same mounting points on top and bottom as 200 series so I believe they are a direct fit in the sense that they will "fit" w/out major modification. That said... take a look at the differences in extended/compressed, you would have to be comfortable w/ the differences to install the FJ parts. The rear applications are very close, but I'd never install the FJ parts in the front (LC shock is over 3.5" longer at extension in the front).

25001-133 FJ Cruiser 10+ Front Coil Overs Compressed: 16.8" Extended: 21.69" Diff: 4.89"
25001-125 FJ Cruiser 06-09 Rear Shocks Compressed: 15.58" Extended: 24.29" Diff: 8.71"

25001-266 Land Cruiser 200 08+ Front Coil Overs Compressed: 18.397" Extended: 25.271" Diff: 6.874"
25001-267 Land Cruiser 200 08+ Rear Shocks Compressed: 15.872" Extended 24.338" Diff: 8.617"

And for fun...

25001-143 Tundra 07+ Front Coil Overs Compressed: 18.396" Extended: 25.27" Diff: 6.874"
(rear application not comparable)

Looking at the specs above I should have researched this more and tried to install the FJ 5160s for my rear shocks. Via @Tremek I've offered up my 200 to Bilstein if they need it. See what they say... prob... take a hike and wait until we're ready! :p

Edit: @bjowett is the expert here, I'm sure he's tried most of these combinations.

I know this is all hypothetically speaking if the fitment is the same points when it comes to the FJ 6112s, how about 6112 on a v8 4runner?
I say that because I have 60mm bilstein shocks from a 2014 TTUE which is basically a 6112 or TRD pro Bilstein minus the ability to raise the height of coil placement. I put these shocks on my gx470 and it fits extremely well. I asked about grinding it in to fit as that was what I read and he told me they bolted in just fine with no problem.

Now I ask about this because I'm no mechanical engineer but I'm assuming when you talk about the front compression and dampening of the shock it's because of what vehicle it was intended for... If that's the case than what about the 6112 for 4th gen v8? Bilstein designed two 6112 for 4th gen 4runner: one for v6 and v8 I believe. Thinking they made the v8 one to handle the heavier engine....
I just bought one delivered because the TTUE on my gx sits an inch too low because I put icon 2.0 on my rear.

Let me know what your take is. I wouldnt mind trying it on my 16 200 series.

20170517_112001_HDR.jpg

Maybe @bjowett or @arich can confirm if the Tundra 6112s are bolt on to the LC (w/out changing to LC OEM parts to Tundra). Shock lengths are the same, and to your point I'd think the Tundra front end is more comparable in weight/setup to the LC than smaller 4Runner. May be negligible though (I'm a non-practicing Mech-E so don't take my word as gospel!!)

Arich tested a few Tundra shocks on his w/out changing any of the other components. I would say, if you want to try, go w/ Tundra application for the front 6112s, and FJ application for 5160s the rear.

Nice truck btw.

The Tundra and Land cruiser front shocks are 95% similar. The only difference is in the lower mount. for stock shocks, either version will work on the cruiser. For aftermarket, it depends on the eyelet on the shock. On Icons, the bushing that spaced the eyelet in the lower control arm was different.
If you were going to play around with shock options, look at the models available for the Tundra. similar weight and design....

Maybe @bjowett or @arich can confirm if the Tundra 6112s are bolt on to the LC (w/out changing to LC OEM parts to Tundra). Shock lengths are the same, and to your point I'd think the Tundra front end is more comparable in weight/setup to the LC than smaller 4Runner. May be negligible though (I'm a non-practicing Mech-E so don't take my word as gospel!!)

Arich tested a few Tundra shocks on his w/out changing any of the other components. I would say, if you want to try, go w/ Tundra application for the front 6112s, and FJ application for 5160s the rear.

Nice truck btw.

Thanks for the compliment. She is toy while the 200 is the baby crawler in the meantime. Trying to figure out the suspension components as the 200 with kdss is very complicated for applications that I would prefer which is Bilstein. I know it's not the grand daddy but I like how they perform and has a longer mileage life than the better ones IE icons, king, radflo, etc.

If the rear FJ Cruiser 5160 fit perfectly in the rear, can we combine it with Icon rear spings or such?

Hey guys. I installed the Tundra 6112s a few months ago and it was a direct install. One thing to note is that the lowest setting will raise a Tundra 1 inch but the 200 2 inches. I tried to get by without replacing the upper control arms at first, but we couldn't get the truck properly aligned without them.

In the rear I first installed the FJ 5100s. They fit perfectly, but were way too soft. I tried them with both the stock springs and the OME 2720s. As of now I have the 2720s, OME medium shocks and 10mm trim spacers. I'm still not satisfied with the rear setup and I will definitely be first in line if Bilstein offers something specific for our trucks.

Hey guys. I installed the Tundra 6112s a few months ago and it was a direct install. One thing to note is that the lowest setting will raise a Tundra 1 inch but the 200 2 inches. I tried to get by without replacing the upper control arms at first, but we couldn't get the truck properly aligned without them.

In the rear I first installed the FJ 5100s. They fit perfectly, but were way too soft. I tried them with both the stock springs and the OME 2720s. As of now I have the 2720s, OME medium shocks and 10mm trim spacers. I'm still not satisfied with the rear setup and I will definitely be first in line if Bilstein offers something specific for our trucks.
Very similar lift setup.

@aznxfactor sounds like Tundra front and FJ rear for direct fit. Note the point above from @thechief24 about the UCAs, have you considered converting front end to Tundra OEM parts while you're at it? Reason I say that is the UCAs can be a substantial cost of the suspension.

In the rear you can use any springs you want with the 5160s, though it is another variable and depending on how the 5160s are valved some maybe better than others. I currently run the OME 2721s and so I would start there (no rear bumper added load). But you can use ICON, King, etc... As long as they are the LC application.

I worry the FJ rear applications will all be too soft, even in 5160 series, the truck is a lot lighter than the LC, but who knows.

Bjowett
I see you are working on these goodies for the 200. Any hope that these would work on the Gx 460 ?
I am trying desperately to get rid of the BP 51.

Front Tundra 6112 shocks work well. The rear FJ shocks proved to be too soft. Bilstein distributors tend to undercut retailers, so the products just are not worth it for me to carry.

I would think the GX 460 could use Taco front shocks, and the FJ rear will definetly work. I have a set of a Koni Raids on the shelf for the FJC/Prado/GX that I can give you a good deal on.

I don't know how heavy a Tacoma is but my Gx is about 5200 lbs.
Tundra is about the same weight as the GX. Is why I was hopping that Tundra Pro would be a good match.
Using Tacoma shocks and trying to match the right spring ,, would be real science.
Don't know much about Koni. What springs would you match them with , how reliable are they ?? I grew to be scepting about aftermarket if they are not used by any original manufacturers.
I have 34" KO and about 2" lift now. Comfort is key for me.
Thank you for response.

Skeptical is good. Koni tends to be very reliable and durable, they are an old company and do plenty of OEM work in addition to their large aftermarket offerings. I have sold a set of these one customer with a GX 460, check the link

GX460 Build Thread

They are a large twin tube shock, and can be quite comfy depending in the spring rate. They have adjustable rebound, so matching them to the different spring rates is do-able. I'll PM you.

When/if Bilstein produces a drop-in replacement for the OEM shocks, I am in. They've made a world of difference on my pickup. Subscribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom