TRD Pro Bilstein Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Toyota should have these Bilstein shocks available shortly. They come on the TRD Pro model Tundra, but are available as a kit for regular Tundras. The Good... 60mm piston (2.5" body), 3 stage valve stack, piggyback reservoirs, >internal hydraulic bump stops<! They might also be height adjustable. The bad... they are a long travel version, and are too long on extension for the Land Cruiser 200 w/ stock arms and axles. If they turn out to be rebuildable, they could possibly be shortened for 200 use.
trdprobilstein.jpg

Could you install them with the addition of extended control arms off of a Tundra, or would that throw off the geometry too much? What is the pricing on them?

Ok let's see what they're like. I personally found the compression of the Bilstein very harsh. Felt every little pebble.

Yes, the Tundra arms and axles will allow these to be used. Keep an eye on my build as the Tundra arms will be utilized... They are 1.75" wider per side, so offset and tire selection will be critical.

Pricing is $2599 retail for all 4 shocks. The rear shocks are different, though... won't be a bolt in for the 200. If the front units can be purchased separately, that would be best.... and even better if we can open them up.

Mono tubes can be harsh. The 3 stage valve stack should help here, but you are right, we'll need to test them. The big Koni Raids are hard to beat for ride quality and longevity.

Sounds like a ton of work!

I'll keep waiting for that Raid kit you are putting together.

:popcorn:

Don't forget to check out the OME BP-51 Coil over that is supposed to make it stateside soon. Its an internal bypass, 51mm bore. Apparently you can adjust the dampening for rebound and compression, pre-load/height adjustable, and has a large remote reservoir. I was quoted $895 each for the front and $595 each for the rear.

I guess this was a racing inspired design by ARB (Old Man EMU).

ARB-OME-BP-51-Bypass-Shock-Absorber-feature.jpg

The OME are nice, and the 51mm piston is an improvement…. but the 60mm piston in the Billy is better still. Add the Billys separate 3 stage compression and bump stop... we have a winner IMO… but the real test will come. About 6 years ago, I came just short of begging several manufacturers to produce such a damper. This is the best single bolt in shock out there.

This front TRD Pro Billy should bolt in with minor mods to the shock. Lift should be 2.5 - 3", which is tad more than I like to run, but will be better for things like 35" tires and ultimately clearance of obstacles off road. I will have confirmation this week, no ifs, ands, or buts. Different springs will not be hard to come by for these.

The rear TRD Pro will require complete disassembly, along with some lower mount changes… this adds considerable time into the process, which unfortunately pushes the price up.

For those interested I'll be offering some version of this very shortly. Price will be in the $2900 - $3200 range for a complete bolt in set of four. Some decent coin, but the best is never cheap.

I'll be posting technical info and pictures of these damper shortly.

A major complaint of the Bilstiens has been that they are too stiff.

Do you know how these TRDs do on a TLC? Obviously stiffer than stock is good, but not too stiff like the OMEs...

Here is the lower priced version. $750 for a front set, 4 height positions, coil springs included. Lift should start at about 1", and go up to 3".
What do you recommend for the rear in the cheaper set up? Ride quality yet? Are testing front and rears or front only?

The remote reservoir 51xx series will be a good match for the rear. I'm still working on the rear TRD Pro shocks, so I do not yet have a ride quality report. I might need someone to do some testing on the regular 6112 front, and something for the rear…. my wife will kill me if her cruiser has more down time for another suspension trial.

I love taking my truck apart. Send them to me!!!!!
At least you know I'm brutally honest!

Btw Brian I love the quarter sawn oak floors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom