Builds GX460 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This might be pretty weak for a build thread - but it's a GX460, and given that most parts are coming from other continents (because they aren't available for the GX460, but rather for the Toyota Prado 150), I feel it's justified. Any US based company that will reply to my emails/ answer my calls tells me "it might fit, but I don't know," which isn't particularly reassuring, so I've done my own research and I'll deal with what I get. The market is so small here in the US, that apparently the R&D isn't worth their time, and I can't blame them. In AUS and South America, companies are very helpful, but there's that whole issue of shipping...

End state:
I'm looking for a capable, family road-trip friendly DD (for now) that I plan to keep for 200K miles.
Capable is easy trails, camping, and exploring. I don't see a ToughTruck Challenge in the future, so I'm not building for one.
Road-trip friendly means mileage, comfort, and handling on the road (like the KDSS). I'm willing to give up a bit on an aggressive tread for handling on the road, and reduced rolling resistance on black top, where it will spend 90% of its time. My favorite cars at the drag strip/ road course are the ones that drive themselves there - not the ones that need trailers.
200K miles means I'm trying to avoid specialty/ race-derived parts, that will dramatically change the original design and reduce the overall reliability of the vehicle.

I'd love to hear everyone's input - good or bad.

Parts/ status and date (details and photos in following posts):

Prado 150 painted Rocker Panels to replace giant Lexus running boards / complete on 6 July
Prado Rocker Panels on GX...
I over thought this one - you really don't need any of the hardware.

TJM Protection Steps for Prado 150 (non-KDSS)/ complete on 28 August
Not as rugged or easy to get ahold of as some of the Sliders available stateside for the 5th Gen 4Runner, I went with these because they tuck up high, fit exceptionally well, and are tested with airbags. Toyota spent a lot of money researching airbags and their deployment, so I'll try to respect that in a ratio that works for me. A few years down the road, if this vehicle sees some tougher trails, I might relook the choice (but I doubt it - they appear to be very well manufactured).

Dobinsons KDSS Specific Springs / complete on 09 September
Front C59-724 (40 mm lift; standard load)
Rear C59-725 (45 mm lift; standard load)
More info: http://store.dobinsonsprings.com/pr...-kdj150-grj150-kdj155-station-wagon-yr-10-on/

Closest spring rate to stock, while still achieving lift. I'm not adding a ton of weight in terms of bumper/ winch/ fridge/ etc, and if I need to tow something substantial I'll do so with my other vehicle. Additionally, the spring lengths are different side to side to account for "KDSS-lean;" I like that Dobinsons specifically addressed KDSS vehicles, and Ive never heard of Dobinsons being associated with the "rear sag" issues from our friends running these in Austraila.

SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers (front only to regain width lost from lift)/ front complete on 09 September/ rear complete Summer 2016
Given the issues the GX had with roll overs early on, I figure I'll try to keep it at least as wide as it was. Front came out perfect, so I ordered a set for the rear not too long after

Koni Raid 88/90 shocks / complete on 09 September
I was a little apprehensive about the ride with the Bilstein 5100s being harsh at low speeds (something I didn't mind on previous vehicles when I added 5100s, but was concerned with being that the GX is the wife's daily driver). After waiting 3 months for shocks and continually getting a later and later date for when Bilstein would be shipping these (nationwide manufacturer backorder), I spoke with Jowett Performance about trying the Konis, and I'm glad I did.

Michelin LTX/AT2 265/65R18 / complete on 09 September
The reason I went super conservative on the size (same width and a little more than an inch taller than stock) is because I wanted to keep a matching spare in the stock location. Despite measuring for the "posted"/ actual dimensions, this size tire DOES NOT FIT IN STOCK LOCATION. It's so close that by working the spare into rotations, I bet 20-30K of wear will get it in, or I could deflate the spare a bit, but being that it's the wife's DD I don't love those options. As the vehicle ages, I'll probably get progressively more aggressive with the tread, but for now this is a great tire, and heaps better than the stock Bridgestones.

Kaymar Prado 150 Rear Bar w/ RHS Tire Carrier (PN: K3720U-S)/ Complete on 15 April
Sometimes, things are just meant to be; GX460 sustained some significant damage to the lower portion of the rear bumper - top/ sides were untouched (I wasn't even the one driving). I did some reading on PradoPoint, and called Jenny at Kaymar who was extremely helpful and got me all set up. There are some subtle differences between the shape of Rear bumpers (Lexus v Prado, specifically placement and moldings around reflectors), but doesn't seem like it will cause any issues. The bar is AUS certified for the GXs payload, and cleans up the departure angle quite a bit. Despite what others have suggested, a 265/65R18 (1" taller/ stock width) doesn't fit in stock location (clearance limited by stock tow bar at hitch and KDSS/ sway bar), so clearing out the stock tow bar should give me enough space to fit a matched spare under (if desired) or potentially add a larger fuel tank with the spare mounted on the swing out (RHS so the barn door doesn't get any more stupid).

RoadSafe 4WD Front Recovery Points (PN: RP-PRA150)/ complete on 23 March
Simple design, sold as a pair, used widely in Australia on Prados, and rated to 3,250 kg (formerly 5000 kg). ARB recently released some very stout looking recovery points for FJ/ Prado ($250 per side!), but I would imagine that at some point the frame is the limiting factor...

Airlift 1000 Air Bag Kit(PN: 60920)/ complete on 23 May
I did a weekend trip in the GX and needed to take the flatbed trailer. Because I opted for "soft" rear lift springs based on how often we drive empty vs loaded, I had a decent amount of sag in the rear even with just a welder, some scrap metal and furniture on the trailer. In order to be able to pull the car hauler loaded, some inflatable bags for the rear springs were the perfect solution.

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and Backbone Mount (rack PN: 42107BF and BackBone PN: RTPB1)/ ordered November 2016
Simple, strong, and low (garages, aero, etc.). Even with one kid and a big dog, I would appreciate the extra storage space. I liked the flat tray design and length-wise slates on the rack. While I wasn't totally sold on the look of the Backbone mounting system, I liked the increased capacity and potential for less wind resistance (notice and MPG).

After talking with Jonathan at Rhinorack USA, turns out they get Prado 150 Backbone kits through their North America location for Mexico (much like ARB USA in Jacksonville).

ARB (or potentially BudBuilt) Skid Plates/ not ordered
ARB uses the same part number for KDSS 150 platform vehicles (5th Gen 4Runner and Prado), so I feel confident enough that the BudBuilt Skids for a 5th Gen will fit the GX460. I like that BudBuilt has a removable panel so I can get to the oil filter without pulling the whole skid plate every time, though I'm not sure if the filter is in the same location on the 4Runner as the GX... If the stockers are getting banged up ill look into it later.

That's it for now - once I get this together I'll see what issues I run into and go from there.

Last edited:
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Prado 150 painted Rocker Panels to replace giant Lexus running boards / complete on 6 July
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/prado-rocker-panels-on-gx.804148/
I over thought this one - you really don't need any of the hardw.
So in my original post you can see the full list of hardware I figured I would need based on comparing diagrams for US spec-Lexus rocker/ step to the Prado 150 rocker. Turns out many of the parts are the same, but they have slightly different numbers (some have the same numbers, and I didn't order those).

The idea here was to pick up some clearance and make room for sliders.

And some pictures:

here's prado rocker next to original Lexus part:

Pretty simple to take it off:

3 x brackets supporting the step attached to the body (each with 2 bolts)
on the center bracket is a clip for the "puddle lights," which you will need to detach before removing the piece.

1 x Torx 30 screw in rear wheel well (reuse)

2 x Torx 30 screw in front wheel well (reuse)

2 x Phillips screws near the carpet/ interior (1 in each door way, reuse)

a few plastic clips running along the length (included with new part)
(Just use something flat that won't scratch the paint and slide it between the body and the rocker panel, prying the two apart as close to the clips as you can get)

Out with the Old....

As you can see, lighter colored vehicles can't hide the underbody as well as darker colors (no rocker at all looks good on the black GX that I've seen on this site)

Last edited:
Before the new piece goes on, there is one additional bracket on the Prado 150; in retrospect, I don't think its necessary (the panel seems sturdy without it), but since I have it, I'm gonna use it:

Just snapped all the plastic clips in (the very front one immediately behind the front wheel well doesn't line up, but with the screws nearby, I don't think it will be missed):

And most people might stop here, but I'm going to try and run the mud flaps:

The mud flaps fit well: I drilled one hole in em to utilize an existing screw, and there's slightly different contour on the very inside portion, but I'll take care of that once the new tires are on and I've got the heat gun out - no need to do it twice.

TJM Protection Steps for Prado 150 (non-KDSS)/ 50% complete on 27 August
Not as rugged or easy to get ahold of as some of the Sliders available stateside for the 5th Gen 4Runner, I went with these because they are very well designed to tuck up high, and are tested with airbags. Toyota spent a lot of money researching airbags and their deployment, so I'll try to respect that in a ratio that works for me. A few years down the road, if this vehicle sees some tougher trails, I might relook the choice (but I doubt it - they appear to be very well manufactured).

I knew I wanted something sturdy for protection, the wife uses a step to get in and out, and once I get the roof rack on there, I'll probably want ones that works as a step too.

That being said, there's not much out there for a Lexus GX460;

There's a number of off-road fabricators here in the US that make some very nice options for the 5th Generation 4Runner with KDSS; I liked white knuckle off-road, shrockworks! and BudBuilt (just to name a few), but I think to get those to fit I'd probably end up trimming the Prado rocker panel that I just finished installing.

BOTTOM LINE
: If you want a US fabricated, "true slider," the generally curved lower-edge of the Prado Rocker looks to me like it will need trimming (or the slider won't line up well). If you are going to end up cutting trim anyway, you're best bet is to just cut the stock piece to fit whichever 5th Gen 4Runner Slider you pick, as "theoverachiever" shows here in post #8 https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/prado-rocker-panels-on-gx.804148/

A number of ARB makes their version of a step/ slider, and it accommodates KDSS, but it's only listed to work with diesel Prado 150. It does this by mounting to a front cross-member (likely a specific part to the diesel), so the initial price, plus significant fab work bumped this off my list.

TJM was the best set up for me. Wes at TJM USA was super helpful, got the parts to me quickly and at a great price.

The passenger side went on without a hitch - no KDSS parts getting in the way, and it was good practice for the drivers side.
Here's a few shots of the mounting brackets: basically there's two small brackets that mount to existing bolts in the frame on each side, then the tubular portion with attached arms connect to the bracket (three pieces for each side).

Passenger rear attachment

Last edited:
Passenger front attachment:

The finished product...on the passenger side

The drivers side took a bit longer, but was quite simple as well. I never disconnected the lines, but if you are willing to it would be even easier.
I removed the skid plate that covers the KDSS lines as they pass under the frame rail near the front (exactly where the front bracket will attach), and the second skid plate that protects the KDSS control unit (or something - it looks expensive). For the front mount, I took some measurements, and after a few trips to a local metal fab shop, I had cut out a little and added some reinforcements and had a solution that allowed the KDSS lines to pass through the bracket:

The back was a little trickier, since the lines run the length of the bracket. The rear brackets already accommodate the E-brake lines by slipping behind the Cable before the step attaches. Once again, I measured twice, and drove to the metal shop once; trimmed just a bit to allow the KDSS lines to pass through with the E brake cable:

And a couple more shots of the final product

If anyone is particularly interested I can add or PM some pictures of the brackets after cuts/ before paint and install, but if you didn't have normal brackets in front of you it might not mean much.

If anyone has any other photo angle/ measurement requests lemme know.

Dobinsons KDSS Specific Springs:
Front C59-724 (40 mm lift; standard load)
Rear C59-725 (45 mm lift; standard load)
More info: http://store.dobinsonsprings.com/pr...-kdj150-grj150-kdj155-station-wagon-yr-10-on/

SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers (front only to regain width lost from lift)

Koni Raid 88/90 shocks

Michelin LTX/AT2 265/65R18 (FACT: too big to fit in spare location)
The install took me about 7 hours, by myself, cleaning a bit as I went, and torquing all bolts to factory spec. With the knowledge from doing it once, Im pretty sure I could do it again in around half the time - even less with a helper. If youre gonna tackle this and want some pointers, PM for some time saving tips that I learned.

I took the most common route: removed the strut/ coil out while it was still assembled/ compressed, then took it to a shop to get broken down/ reassembled. Only downside is that this requires a wall mounted spring compressor, so most likely a trip to a shop. The other option (write ups available on other sites) have you drop the lower control arm a bit more and disconnect the KDSS, then uncompress the strut assembly using a floor jack to essentially act as a compressor. That didn't seem quite right to me, and I didnt want to mess with KDSS any more than necessary.

Some measurements (also included is a picture of the flap from the Dobinsons box which records the data):

Front (center of hub to edge of guard):
Driver: Before 20" // After 21.5"
Passenger: 20" // 21.15"

Rear (center of hub to edge of guard):
Driver: Before <21.5" // After 23.5"
Passenger: <21.5" // 23.5"

Middle of TJM Step (ground to bottom of step at seam between front and rear doors):
Before 14" // After 17"

Middle of Step:

The Install:

Remove outer tie rod steering linkage:

Many instructions out there recommend a pry bar to lower the a-arm to get the strut assembly out; I think a bottle jack is more predictable and easier to work with.

$40 later, and the Dobinsons/ Konis are reassembled, and back in, and the spidertrax spacers are on:

Comparison of new 90 series Koni to stock Tokico (and a reference 12 oz can). These Konis are very solid units.

The rear was much easier; a couple bolts to disconnect the sway bars from the axle, a bolt to provide the brake lines a little more slack to get the new springs in, and then button it back up.

I still need to add some better after pics....

Last edited:
nice work on the sliders!
Wife picked up a 2011 460... been poking around this and the 120 forum... where are most of you 460 folks posting info on upgrades, etc.?

I am trying to figure out if we have the bags in the rear (no manual control on the shift consul). And... also trying to find more info on adding some of the OEM upgrades that her truck did not come with like crawl control, etc.

She wants a lift too... something in the 1-2" range to get it off the ground a little.

Thanks... and sorry to muck up your thread :D

As of late November, a Kaymar bar is making its way from Australia.

I still need to add post lift measurements at each corner, and write up some impressions on the overall ride - bottom line is its good. Really good.

It might be a while before I get to these things, as I'm currently traveling abroad. As irony would have it, I currently have a 2014 Prado TXL (Diesel) as my DD. Going from the Dobinson- Koni-Michelin Lexus (with KDSS) to a stock Prado, with Bridgestones (I can't escape) and NO KDSS has been a noticeable decline in performance (and safety). Although the quality of the roads certainly plays a part, the Bridgestones are quick to lock, and the ABS quickly gets heavily involved (very strange pedal feel compared to any other ABS car I have owned).

The diesel sounds fun when you fire it up (whistle), and pulls decently - albeit briefly - when it's really spun up. Ample power, but way to peaky and can't compete with the flat torque of a V8. Mileage-wise I'm doing worse with diesel than with the 4.6; I no longer feel like I'm "missing out."

The cooler in the console between the seats is the only thing I'm going to miss. It runs off the AC (requires engine to be running), and has a separate condenser, so it would be over $3K in parts (I priced it just out of curiosity), but it'll cool down a six pack mighty quick and stays cold for a good bit even without the engine running.

Last edited:
Any update on the rear Kaymar bumper? What about a front bumper? Any options yet?

Kaymar Bar should arrive via ship in Miami on February 20th, then to me a few days after that, when I will cut, test fit, and have the Kaymar sprayed to match (Silver).

I dont believe anyone has officially released a bar, and it will be a while before I take a stab at it, but Im confident a "pre-facelift" Prado Bar will work without many issues. When I do take the plunge, Ill be going with TJM - in person its just a much cleaner, tighter to the body, fit (vs. ARB).

RoadSafe 4WD Front Recovery Points (PN: RP-PRA150)/ ordered in Jan '15
Simple design, sold as a pair, used widely in Australia on Prados, and rated to 3,250 kg (formerly 5000 kg). ARB recently released some very stout looking recovery points for FJ/ Prado ($250 per side!), but I would imagine that at some point the frame is the limiting factor...

In the mean time, a set of rated recovery points (Roadsafe 4WD) arrived from Australia! Only took about 10 days, but I didn't have time to put em on. Adam at Nuts About 4WD was a tremendous help, and the handoff between AUS Post and USPS was seamless. Should I have an opportunity to use a Kinetic recovery strap, Ill feel much better with the load distro'd between these guys. Ill have em on in a few days.

They are designed to fit in a few different configurations based on stock bumper, TJM, or ARB. For stock bumper (what I did) The forward-most, lower hole (closest to the actual tow loop once mounted) is already threaded. the higher hole (closer to shock/ spring) isn't threaded, so you have to feed a nut attached to a wire into the frame through a existing hole and get the bolt started. Took about 30 minutes to install both sides.

On my vehicle, there were a couple of welds that just barely prevented the passenger side bracket from sitting flush. I ground down about 1/4" of weld in two spots on the passenger side, and good to go.

Driver side front wheel well. In front of tire. I've popped out a few plastic retaining clips here

I didn't really like yellow, so powdercoated the pieces red. You can see the wire coming out of the frame that has the nut welded to the end (out of sight). On the drivers side there is a bracket partially blocking the hole you should use so it takes a second to wiggle the nut through. Passenger side (not shown) is even quicker.

And there's the finished product.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the Kaymar mounted. I have been looking for a bar for the GX but haven't seen anything. I would assume, like you, that a Prado bar would work without much trouble.

...I would assume, like you, that a Prado bar would work without much trouble...

Just a heads up from a post over on Prado Point reference front bumpers - it sounds like there are differnces in mounting points between KDSS and non-KDSS bars, meaning it would have to be a KDSS/ higher trim level Prado front bumper to work on a Lexus GX460.

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?20643-Recovery-Points/page9

Kaymar rear bar is in Miami. Looks like this import company is really gonna stick it to me with fees...

Thanks for passing this information. I obviously need to do a lot more research.

I hate to hear that you are potentially going to get stuck with a lot of fees. I was curious how you were getting it imported into the U.S. I assumed that Kaymar was helping you with it.

I am very curious why you did not go with the Prado 150 ARB front bumper. Buying ARB you would not occur any import fees since they are sitting in U.S. soil right now. To me it looks like a direct fit with just cutting the oem bumper differently? Do you know if it fits?

I called up ARB USA two weeks ago and they said all their Prado bumpers come into Jacksonville, FL as they cover distribution for Central and South America as well as the U.S. and Canada. They said I can have it shipped to ARB in Renton, WA and than to the supplier where I buy it from. They said they have 6 Prado 150 bumpers in stock right now in Jacksonville, FL as of March 5th 2015.

I am strongly considering a GX460 and I would like to slap on the ARB bumper on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom