TRD Pro Bilstein Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just out of curiosity, what was the issue with those rear shocks?

Any news on the results of testing and what pricing/availability may look like? I'm chomping at the bit to improve the suspension and ride height - but I only want to do it once! :)

The upper pin mount is a little on the short side for the Land Cruiser. The remainder of the issues are valving that is too soft for ARB/OME springs.

The TRD Pro and 6112 both work very well up front. We are working on solutions for the rear, and that is adding to the time. The TRD Pros will be in the price range of the BP-51, and the 6112/5160 or 5100 combos, which should be available any day now, will prove to be a relative bargain with great bang for the buck. $ $1200ish for the 6112/5160 and under $1k for the 6112/5100, both with front springs and adjustable height.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to the final recommendations.
The TRD Pro shock is on VIN restriction, correct?

But hopefully TRD will open up the floodgates or there will be a work around of some kind for those of us purists who want try to stick with Toyota parts (for the sake of argument, it's not really a "mod" if it's a genuine part or accessory so there's likely to be less discussion at the dinner table about it at my house anyway)...

any updates on this?

The upper pin mount is a little on the short side for the Land Cruiser. The remainder of the issues are valving that is too soft for ARB/OME springs.

The TRD Pro and 6112 both work very well up front. We are working on solutions for the rear, and that is adding to the time. The TRD Pros will be in the price range of the BP-51, and the 6112/5160 or 5100 combos, which should be available any day now, will prove to be a relative bargain with great bang for the buck. $ $1200ish for the 6112/5160 and under $1k for the 6112/5100, both with front springs and adjustable height.

i read the Tundra guys really liking the 6112/5160 set up.. can you confirm the part numbers needed for the LC are the same for the Tundra?

I tested Brian's 6112/5100 Bilstein setup for 6 months. He has since customized them to allow to a smaller lift. Loved the setup. Very comfortable.
It's a great bang for he buck setup. I'm happy to give you my impressions.

I tested Brian's 6112/5100 Bilstein setup for 6 months. He has since customized them to allow to a smaller lift. Loved the setup. Very comfortable.

do you know if we can run Bilstein 5160's (with remote reservoir) on our trucks, would part number for tundra rear shocks fit? I plan to run new OEM/Toyota spring.

I"m not looking for a rear lift.. since the 6112 would give me the 2" leveling i'm looking for.

Any input would be helpful.

In mind .. the 5160 would be more comfortable than the 5100? maybe wishful thinking?

Last edited:

Quick update.

I reached out to Brian Jowett for a quote and he worked his magic to source a set of 6112/5160 combo. He will need a couple of weeks to make some adjustments, in the mean time I'm reaching UCA, wheel and tire combo.

Here is my plan.
6112/5160 (Factory OEM springs in the rear)
UCA - SPC or Chaos
18" x 9 (offset no more than 30)
275/70/18 KO2

There is a set of FN BSD 18" wheels I really like, but offset is 12 and its way too aggressive from what I gather. Offset of 30 is already pushing it.

Quick update.

I reached out to Brian Jowett for a quote and he worked his magic to source a set of 6112/5160 combo. He will need a couple of weeks to make some adjustments, in the mean time I'm reaching UCA, wheel and tire combo.

Here is my plan.
6112/5160 (Factory OEM springs in the rear)
UCA - SPC or Chaos
18" x 9 (offset no more than 30)
275/70/18 KO2

There is a set of FN BSD 18" wheels I really like, but offset is 12 and its way too aggressive from what I gather. Offset of 30 is already pushing it.
I think you're right that an offset of 12 is pushing it, but I think 20 or 25 is fine, especially with that size tire, just my 2 cents... I'm running an 18x9 with a 20mm offset

I have the 6112/5100 FJ Cruiser combo. Also wondering if bjowett or anyone else has found a good set of rear shocks that work well with the 6112s.

The BP51s would work well with those. I had the 6112s on for about 6 months testing for Brian Jowett.

Hey guys,

Please correct me as im very interested in this suspension option. Im just not a mechanic or engineer to fully understand the entire conversion. So in a nutshell:

Front: TRD pro tundra suspension + tundra lower control arms is what's required to run it due to long travel?
Rear: can run with TRD pro suspension but will require some changes? 5100's on the rear is fine with no changes.
OME front and rear springs are needed to have complete 2.5-3inch lift all around? If only shock with no springs it will be 1- 2inch lift?

You have a package for 1700. Will that come with every thing needed such as tundra arms front and mods necessary in the rear, etc? Please let me know. :)

To run the TRD Pro Tundra shocks you would need to change out the upper control arms, lower control arms, drive axles, tie rod ends, and brake lines.
The shocks have the springs on them.
check with brian Jowett for the best option for rear shocks, there has been some debate about what models will work best with this shock.
OME springs will be required in the rear to keep the truck level front to rear with a 2" lift in the front.

I have done the Tundra conversion, and asked Brian about running the TRD PRo shocks, and he said they run stiff on the road. Icon, Radflow, King, Fox...will give a better ride.

I've got 6112s on my 4Runner. The harder you run them, the better they are. The bigger the hole/rut etc, the smoother they are.

Enjoying them so far with 25k on them.

How are the TRD Pro front coilovers with aftermarket bumpers like an ARB Sahara? Can they be adjusted to compensate for the extra weight from the bumper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom