Travelling Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I allready introduced myself and our Toyo in the J80 forum because most of the technic is HDJ 80, but I think this forum fits better....so I will move it here and start a new thread:

We have been travelling by LandCruiser for years now, first with a BJ45, than with modified HZJ78 with pop-up-sleeping roof. But this set up was build for Afrika and not perfect for the North because of the canvas walls of the roof and the hight of the car with the roof and the Michelin XZL 255/100, we were often afraid of tipping over
1401247.jpg

1401248.jpg

Therefore here some pictures of our new home, we decided to use mainly 80 technic, but did not like the idea of living in the 80- body. We used as far as possible original Toyota parts. Exception ist the Vintage A/C (I already regret) and a volume sport air filter because there was no space for the original under the bonnet left.

1401256.jpg

it is a 1993 HDJ 80 with manual gearbox, changed to 12V alternator and starter from the HDJ 100, australian clutch (like the one from the later 24v 80), copper radiator from HZJ75, 4.5:1 Diffs from PZJ75, HT rallye Suspension, 325/80 R16 Cooper on Alcoa 8" rims, reinforced front axle, 2x about 200l diesel in alu tanks underfloor and 2x about 60l water in V4A tanks underneath the seats. Bonnet and doors are build of f/g with some kevlar layers, two 90ah AGM batterys are in underfloor stoarage boxes and 2 Solarpannels with 170W wait to be installed, 12V Kompressor wih tank for refilling tires.....
In the back is a small cabine with hydraulic elevatible top, and in the front we adapted the J4 body from a 1979 HJ47. The J4 body ist stretched about 8cm, so I can sit comfortably. The cabine and most of the technics was build by Marcus www.offroad-schmiede.com
Inside we build our home (two people) for all seasons and conditions;)...Heating is provided for the engine and drivers cabine by a Webasto, in the back we have a Eberspächer air heater for us and the wardrobe for drying the jackets etc. Origo cooker for inside cooking, Engel fridgebox, 4.5bar waterpump with Katadyn-waterfilter, small sink, outside shower.....

I just found and scanned a few paperpics from the J4 andJ8 base and squeeze them in here inthe beginning....

5635867.jpg

5635870.jpg

to continue with donated pictures from friends: Iceland this summer
first picture is the same piste along the beach as shown above with the HZJ78. It was lot more comfortable with the wider track and less hight of the truck
1402250.jpg

1401257.jpg

1401258.jpg

1401259.jpg

1402017.jpg

1402018.jpg

1402019.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Welcome to mud. Those are some great looking rigs.

Thanks for the welcome and compliments...

the camper is build with a welded aluminium frame and glued in (Sikkaflex kind of PU glue) f/g sandwich plates.

here you can see the frame (of another car) Marcus is building erverything in that methode :D
1402979.jpg

yes, our hard pop-top :D did well, first time we could sleep while it was stormy...

Last edited:
Soenke,
your 'BJ80' looks absolutely fantastic!!! I would be really grateful if you could tell me how you got on with the 255/100 Michelins on your HZJ78:
- fitted okay ?
- looks like you ran them tubeless ?
- where did you get them?

Thinking of a set for my hzj78 but they are very pricey.
Gil

Hey Gil

the 255/100 is expensive here too, about 300€ is a good price! You will get it at any truck-tire-shop. And yes, we always travel tubeless.
It´s a perfect touring tire with wordwide availability and very good performence on piste, lava, rocks etc and even on road. But it is not very good in sand and dunes and the HZJ78 will be quite high and tippy..The spare tire has to go in the car or on the roof, even a kaymar will not last with the weight on piste...
And the whole set up will not be heavy duty!!
The gearbox form 78 and 79 likes to brake.

We fitted 4.88 Diffs, in the front a spacer ring is needed, further OME Heavy Duty and the front fenders need some "remodeling" (not for the use of old 9.00XS, than a hammer will do:D)
To get it street legal we had to limit maximum speed to 110km/h (speed index K and no M&S signature)
With carefull driving we had no problems, but we decided to start all over with J80 technic and 325/80 (in case of emergency a 255/100 spare will be just 1 cm smaler)

A friend of mine solved the gearbox problem of his 79 with the stronger 5 speed box from a J80, it fits nicely to 35" with original Diffs..

Last edited:
That rig is awesome. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

WOW!

This has got to be one of the most impressive overland crusiers I've ever seen.

Amazing cruiser!!!:clap:

Thanks for sharing :beer:

Can we see some inside shots of the camper layout? :)

And some under bonnet shots?
-B-

Beautiful! We need someone in the States building these for around 5k Just drop off your fj40 and pick it up converted like this one in 6 weeks with basic sleeping system inside.

Just drop off your fj40 and pick it up converted like this one

That thing is not an FJ40. If I am reading him correctly, it is a diesel 80-Series with a customized FJ40 body that has been extended 8cm to give more seat room.

That is one trick vehicle and we sure could use some more specs and pics! Thanks for posting soenke.

-B-

Hi All:

Very cool rig! Both in looks and in components! :cheers:

But, for an expedition truck I think a more stock platform would be a better choice, i.e. for an improved chance of finding spare parts.

Irregardless, an excellent rig! Thanks for sharing with us!

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom