transmission trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently took the rig on a trip to the beach, overloaded on the way, but did fine. Drove on the beach in deep sand in 4 low, through some crater-like puddles, no issues while on island. All went well on the trip until about 2 miles from home...traveling around 60 mph at about 3000 rpm on the highway, heard a bang followed by a thump, thump, thump (or flap,flap flap) from somewhere in the transmission tunnel area. Sounded like I broke a strap or something or kinda like a flat tire, but an increase in the usual vibration in the shifter. Pulled over and couldn't find anything... limped home with the sound that seemed louder in 4th gear and when coasting... will need help diagnosing... thinking it may be a transmission problem?

This is a 4-speed, with a 3B and a transmission to transfer bypass hose.

How do I go about diagnosing this? I plan on draining some fluid and checking for some metal flakes?
Drove around the neighborhood this am and it seemed better, but reluctant to take it on the highway again.

Some glitter in the transmission fluid and a few flakes, how much is expected?(I would think none) how much spell disaster?
0593A6FD-8705-401F-AEA5-CD4E253B1087.jpeg
632EE760-F75A-46DE-981B-8DE3B476A5D5.jpeg

0A697835-A007-42DE-9BB2-D42525755467.jpeg

Quite a few flakes in the transmission, the previous pics were from the transfer case

im not sure if I'd panic about the small steel fines in the oil, it is an older style gearbox, and you will get tooth wear. I would do a complete drain on both transmission and transfer case, give them lots of time to drain, Check the drained oil for metal, and snake you magnet into the sump, to see if there's any bearing bits. I do recall they have one shaft in the transmission that has no internal bearing race, it uses the shaft itself. If there's no external indications of issue (engine/tranny mounts, u-joints, spline slack, flange bolts etc) you may want to find a good transmission shop. Good luck, and I'll ask around here for ideas for you.

Out of interest.. did you come out of 4x4 when you got off the beach?

Out of interest.. did you come out of 4x4 when you got off the beach?
Every time. And unlocked the hubs.
I wondered if the selector could have somehow slipped back and partially engaged into 4 Hi?

Took it for a short spin around the neighborhood and couldn’t reproduce the issue at about 30 mph...
I must admit my ignorance about “spline slack” and flange bolts, but I don’t see any external evidence.

Just meant the end flange bolts on the driveshafts (propellor shafts) and the driveshaft extension splines (sliding yoke arrangement). It did sound like you had something running eccentrically. As for the selector slipping into 4 hi, I think it's possible. My '84 with an H55 5 speed will shift easily on the fly, as long as the hubs are engaged (the front driveshaft running at the same speed as the rear), otherwise you're trying to engage a solid toothed clutch sleeve with a huge relative speed difference.... And it can get very noisy, and unsuccessful!

Good news, I think the transmission is ok, bad news is the transfer case had chunks that look like a gear tooth:
8BF4D138-EE87-4BFD-8339-61437B4555E2.jpeg
4341085A-1B80-42AB-A66B-A0573B48B650.jpeg

I need some education on the transfer case and what my options are? Rebuild? I assume a transmission shop can do it?
New one from Toyota?
Do I upgrade to a 5speed if going through all the labor costs?

Can I drive it in the meantime?

I again assume the 4WD selector lever slipped into engage the front wheel drive at 60 mph, ripping off a tooth? Other opinions?

rebuild on that one will probably get pricey and you may be better off financially buying a good used one and rebuilding it. New is also an option for around $2400. Do NOT drive it as is. A used transfer can be picked up for around $500 and a rebuild kit is around $260. Generally labor is about $500 to clean and build a split case if its already pulled from the truck. If you decide on a new 5spd that'll be another $2600 or so. Also need to find out if your 4 speed has the extension housing. If it's an early 4 speed and does not then you will need some additional parts and modifications to fit the 5spd. (drive shafts, linkages, etc)

It is a 1982, how do I tell if it has the extension housing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom