Transmission Temperature Gauge Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m using the OBDLink MX+ adapter which comes with a Toyota/Lexus PID set.

There are two transmission oil temperature PIDs, temperature “1” and temperature “3”. The app doesn’t show PID numbers, just descriptions.

Does anyone know which is the pan and which is the converter? I added both to my dashboard but the “3” shows readings that vary from 0 to 100 degrees which can’t be correct. “1” shows temps that are realistic, around 190 degrees.

View attachment 2598889
93EEB126-AB6A-45B7-BC81-CD9114FAFF7F.jpeg
This is what info Nathan shared to me about the two AT oil temps. I got mine working by the way just recently.

View attachment 2598987This is what info Nathan shared to me about the two AT oil temps. I got mine working by the way just recently.

Thanks.

I don't have a "temp 2", only a "temp 1" and "temp 3". Here's a screenshot, with the upper left gauge being "temp 1" which I take is the converter. The upper right gauge is "temp 3", and it fluctuates fairly rapidly up and down (like several degrees in a few seconds). It seems to rise on acceleration and fall on deceleration, but there's no way it can be a reading of pan temp. BTW, the labels are mine and I see I misspelled "Converter". :D

IMG_0685.PNG

6B4320A0-D4BA-4163-AB6C-7D8F8397D974.png

Last edited:
I think your temp 3 meant “2” really, but the latter numerical value means is referring to the torque converter temperature. I also see the same when I monitor my at temps, the latter is more dynamic than the at temp #1. Try and make an experiment by downshifting on cross street stoplights, you’ll notice the latter at temp instantaneously increase (pressure on the torque converter).

I think your temp 3 meant “2” really, but the latter numerical value means is referring to the torque converter temperature. I also see the same when I monitor my at temps, the latter is more dynamic than the at temp #1. Try and make an experiment by downshifting on cross street stoplights, you’ll notice the latter at temp instantaneously increase (pressure on the torque converter).

Thanks. So you think “3” is the converter and “1” is the pan? That would make sense from a dynamic perspective as “3” fluctuates constantly. What concerns me is the actual temperature readings from “3”, as they consistently show below 100 (and sometimes below 50). I’m in Tampa...it’s 80 degrees here with lows in the mid 60s.

Thanks. So you think “3” is the converter and “1” is the pan? That would make sense from a dynamic perspective as “3” fluctuates constantly. What concerns me is the actual temperature readings from “3”, as they consistently show below 100 (and sometimes below 50). I’m in Tampa...it’s 80 degrees here with lows in the mid 60s.
That’s interestingly low, I’m going to take a swing in guessing why, it’s probably because of your transmission design. I see you drive a 200 series - this has the 8-speed AT on it, and when it shifts to 8th gear that could explain why you have lower temps, though I’m not sure how and why goes below 50°F (?)

The lowest reading on my 5-speed LX is 58°F coming off a cold morning start on a 50°F outside temp.

All you need is the pan temp. One of the trans oil's jobs is to carry away heat, so it can handle short spikes. Keep pan tamps down, and your oil lives longer. See image below for temp guidance.

1614613930134.png

Here’s my current OBD dashboard. I’m using the OBDLink MX+ reader and the OBDLink app (which looks exactly the same as OBDFusion). This is after a 20 minute drive with some stop-and-go. The AT converter temp started at 7 degrees (it’s 80 in my garage). It definitely comes down as speed increases and/or the torque converter locks.

1C3AB58D-2FCA-4B88-98C6-7103BE0E57B5.png

Here’s my current OBD dashboard. I’m using the OBDLink MX+ reader and the OBDLink app (which looks exactly the same as OBDFusion). This is after a 20 minute drive with some stop-and-go. The AT converter temp started at 7 degrees (it’s 80 in my garage). It definitely comes down as speed increases and/or the torque converter locks.

View attachment 2600950
What year Lx do you have, I have a 2003and am using the MX Link and software and can only seem to find only one transmission temp PID... or did you customize your own PID for trans-2 temp.... If so what was the PID numbers to enter... in addition to that it reads really low at about 107 degrees at temperature for some reason

ALSO, does anyone know if is there a PID for the oil pressure seems like such a normal PID but I cannot seem to find that one either

Last edited:
What year Lx do you have, I have a 2003and am using the MX Link and software and can only seem to find only one transmission temp PID... or did you customize your own PID for trans-2 temp.... If so what was the PID numbers to enter... in addition to that it reads really low at about 107 degrees at temperature for some reason

ALSO, does anyone know if is there a PID for the oil pressure seems like such a normal PID but I cannot seem to find that one either
I have a 2019 LC, not LX. I believe the available PIDs vary by model year. For a 2019, the enhanced Toyota PID package contains 2 transmission temps, one for the pan and one (ostensibly) for the converter. The converter PID gives strange readings, routinely starting a "0" or some other obviously incorrect temperature. Even after 30 minutes or more of driving, it will read in the 70s when the outside temperature is higher.

I have not found an oil pressure PID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom