transmission swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wanting to swap out my tranny in my 66 FJ40 to a 4 speed, floor shift model. Will a 4 speed tranny from a later model FJ40 bolt up to the engine/clutch, or will soem sort of adapter/output shaft have to be purchased as well?

I've got a 4 speed tranny sitting in my garage too. I understand you'll need a new 4 speed bell housing and adapters for the 3speed transfer case as well.

the trans will bolt to the engine,but you will need a 4spd clutch,fork,throwout bearing.you will also need the slave cyl. line that relocates the slave cyl to the passenger side of the truck.and the bellhousings are different so get a trans with that if you can.
also the 4spd trans doesnot just bolt to the 3spd case,youll need the conversion gear and bearing,they sell em at man-a-fre.com for like 200 bucks.
finally you will need 4spd drive shafts and pinion flanges(the flanges that come off your axles)because the 3spd stuff is too small.then use your 3spd slip yokes and slide them into the 4spd shaft, put on the pinion flanges and PRESTO! 4spd shaft for the length,4spd pinion flange for the axle side of the shafts,3spd slip yoke for the tcase side of things.
or you can just get your shafts cut and welded.
i went the 4spd shaft route and it costed me 60 bucks,vise 80 bucks a shaft for the cut weld and balancing.
hope this helps
shawn

oh it sounds like alot but its not that bad.i just got done with this swap in a 73.
i strongly recomend that you switch to a 2f at the same time. this is why.
you do all that tranny work which is basicly hell,then you want or need a new engine,so then you have do this all over again.that would suck.once is enough for me.

it might just be easier to get a 4spd case as well and go that route,really depends on what you wheel.

but let me say this i finally got done with my swap the other day and for sh!ts and giggles i tried out my 4 low,WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE,THAT THING CREEPS ALONG,well compare to before anyway.i think its like 59:1 now but its noticable.
shawn

.Unless you want the 4 spd for the smooth shifting, an SM420 swap would be as easy if not easier than a later 4 spd swap, and a 7:1 first gear. All you have to do on 3spd cruisers is get the adapter to transfer, and driveshafts built to correct length. Other little stuff, read the tech section here. Spaceghosts' adapter is the easiest and cheapest for 3 spd to sm420 swaps, but you will have to find it used. At least temporarily I hope :-/

i forgot you will also need a 4spd flywheel(2f 75+)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom