Transmission rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

itbrokeagain

SILVER Star
Threads
Had to take a work truck in to get a tranny rebuild today. It has 175000 miles on it. Just because I was curious I asked about my 80 and how many they have rebuilt. He said a few and they all typically have 180,000 miles. Mine has close to 300,000 on the original tranny and mine is obviously used much harder than the average truck. Curious how many miles the average 80 goes before needing a rebuild.

I think y'all are misunderstanding, or I am. He took a different vehicle in, not his 80. I haen't seen too many threads about tranny's being rebuilt so I'm assuming it doesn't happen often.

Nope. Gonna put that one on you ;)

Took the work truck in and also asked about his 80

I had never heard much good about a rebuild on these. Also find it odd he could even come up with an average mileage but of course a few could be only 2-5 rebuilds and maybe all were around 200k. There is the shade tree rebuild thread in FAQ but yeah other than that and a very few other threads most think its rather beefy if maintained and the general opinion seems to be a replacement with used unit.

I remember when I first picked up my LX. It sometimes had a loud clunk when I would shift it into drive. I took it to a reputable trans shop in town. The owner took my truck out for a test drive with myself and said there was nothing wrong with the trans after just a few minutes of driving. He also said he had never seen a trans in his shop from my type of vehicle, admittedly they stopped selling Land Cruisers in Canada back in the 80s. He didn't even charge me and it just turned out to be the u-joints. I don't think there is any inherent design flaw, only issues caused by bad fluid.

Mine had the torque converter replaced by the PO at some point. I've got about 175,000 miles right now and it's acting a little funny. Looks like I'm almost due!

I have 168K miles. Works perfect.

When I bought my 80 the guy I bought it from said he called SOR and asked them how long the a440f trans. can last and they told him 400,000 miles. I thought this was optimistic at first, but now I think it might be right.

These trannies take abuse, at least the 91-94. I rebuilt mine at around 220k since I rebuilt the motor too and only a few clutch packs were a little worn. TC and everything else was perfect. And this was from an ABUSED original owner (judging by the motor)

DAN-PERSONAL 201.jpg

DAN-PERSONAL 216.jpg

My 96 A343F has 256k miles and is just fine. If you need a rebuild Import Performance Transmission are the only guys I would trust. They've done quite a few trans for me and have taylored each one to it's purpose perfectly.

My 96 A343F has 256k miles and is just fine. If you need a rebuild Import Performance Transmission are the only guys I would trust. They've done quite a few trans for me and have taylored each one to it's purpose perfectly.

Out of pure curiousity did they rebuild an A343F for you and if so, $?

They did an aw4 (same design as a 343) and it was spot on. If I remember correctly it was around $2000ish but I also had the 3-4 pack upgraded and the bearings upgraded to the stronger supra units, both are worth while upgrades.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

Mine was rebuilt by a shop when the previous owner had it. Apparently it had 4k miles on it when it was put into my truck, 2k miles later I am having issues and my local shop recommends a replacement.

My 97 has 260K and has never given me any issues. I often tow a large tent trailer over the mountain passes here in Washington and make a handful of trail runs every year. My motor developed a knock this summer so it is going to come out this winter, when I pull it I am going to have the "perfectly functioning" transmission rebuilt at the same time. The plan is to get another 260K out of my beloved 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom