Transmission or oil leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed a couple drops on my driveway today and had a look underneath. It seems to be leaking around the front of the clutch housing (see photos). For the last couple of years I had noticed some seepage around that area but never noticed any drips so I didn't worry about it. Now that I'm getting drips on the concrete, it seems to have gotten worse. I also just changed the oil a few weeks ago if that could have anything to do with it. It's a 105-series with a 1HZ engine and I think an R150F transmission. I'm still pretty new at this whole maintenance/repair thing so my questions are:
1. Is this a transmission oil leak or an engine oil leak and what are some thoughts about what the problem is? Part numbers would be helpful.
2. How critical is this to get repaired?
3. How easy is it to do myself with basic tools, knowledge, and a repair manual? OR how much am I looking at to take it in to be fixed (I live in regional South Australia)?
4. If I need to get this fixed, is there anything else in there I should replace at the same time?

Thanks for any help.

20200606_124237.jpg

20200606_124257.jpg

I'd say clean the transmission, transfer case and engine areas and look for fresh leaks to locate the leak.

Looks like engine oil, but could be gear oil from trans. Start at the top of engine (valve cover) and work your way down the back of engine to find leak. Being a 1hz, there aren’t too many places that would cause such a drip, so should be relatively easy to pinpoint.

My money is on valve cover gasket leak. Through some dye in the engine oil and shine a uv light to either confirm or eliminate engine leak!

Was it low on oil or transmission fluid/gear lube in manual transmission.
Did it smell like oil or gear lube. Very different smells.

If dripping, it needs fixing.

Last edited:
Either rear main seal, or transmission input seal - but it's just an opinion, so don't take it for granted. You should replace both while in there anyway. It's not an easy task to do unfortunatelly, as the transmission (and clutch, flywheel, transfer case, propshafts) have to come off. Might as well replace the clutch as well while in there.

With all that said, you'll have more luck in the Diesel-tech forum with the 1hz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom