Transmission dip stick ... reading it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's x-mas day and I have nothing to do. So why not drain the transmission on my 94 LC. Before getting started, I checked the transmission dipstick to see the level when cold just to see where it reads. I can not believe I am seeing. It is reading in the hot range... way above the hot range. I checked it 4x to be sure. What the hell? Is this even possible? I purchased this LC 20K ago and it has been driving great with no issues. If I'm reading it correctly, I'm prob 1-2 quarts over, at least.

And before you ask., engine has not been started in 2 days and it is sitting on level ground.

Any ideas what's going on?

This makes me wonder how much will come out when / if you just do a drain. I think 4.5 +/- quarts should come out. My guess is that it was over filled. I would drain it, measure what you get out then fill it to the proper level and have some eggnog.

This makes me wonder how much will come out when / if you just do a drain. I think 4.5 +/- quarts should come out. My guess is that it was over filled. I would drain it, measure what you get out then fill it to the proper level and have some eggnog.

I thought in a 80 series (94), if you drain the trans, it will take 6 quarts to refill.

khoi911 said:
I thought in a 80 series (94), if you drain the trans, it will take 6 quarts to refill.

You won't get it all out with just draining. There is a whole process to go thru to get it all.

You won't get it all out with just draining. There is a whole process to go thru to get it all.

I understand I will not get it all out with a drain as a 80 series transmission holds 12+ quarts. But I thought draining it via the drain plug will get out about 6 quarts.

Last edited:
First of all you check the transmission fluid with the engine running. If the truck has been sitting for days the fluid will drain out of the valve body and torque converter and give you a false reading.
To get an accurate reading, the motor should be at normal operating temperature. I always go for a short drive and make sure to cycle through all the gears. Get the truck on level ground with the motor running and the transmission in PARK. Then pull the dipstick and read the level.

Engine oil is checked with a cold non running motor.

First of all you check the transmission fluid with the engine running. If the truck has been sitting for days the fluid will drain out of the valve body and torque converter and give you a false reading.
To get an accurate reading, the motor should be at normal operating temperature. I always go for a short drive and make sure to cycle through all the gears. Get the truck on level ground with the motor running and the transmission in PARK. Then pull the dipstick and read the level.

Exactly. On the manual it says to check the engine oil in normal operating temps as well though

Per your instructions, I went for a short drive (20 miles). Came back and parked on level ground and with the engine running and in park, I checked the dipstick. It was reading in the "Cold" part of the dipstick. This tell me that I am really low on transmission fluid. I went ahead and pulled the drain plug and 3.7 quarts came out. I refilled with 4 quarts of Amsoil synthetic ATF. It's cold and dark now so I will take it for a spin tomorrow and see what the dipstick reads then.

Like I said it has been driving fine for the last 20k. I do get some drive-line shutter when I give it gas at very low speeds (under 10mph) but this only happens every so often. I am very hesitant to put more fluid in as it does drive very good.

I get ~6 qts (maybe a bit more) from a drain on my 94 with A442, and the owner's manual says it takes the same to fill (for a drain/fill). I change it every other time I do the oil, as ATF is so cheap. You may need the same amount.

I get ~6 qts (maybe a bit more) from a drain on my 94 with A442, and the owner's manual says it takes the same to fill (for a drain/fill). I change it every other time I do the oil, as ATF is so cheap. You may need the same amount.

I have a Haynes Manual and it says 6.2 quarts on a drain. Yet others here say they get 3-4 quarts out when they drain. I don't get it. When you drain your trans do you do it right after a drive or do you do it when the trans is cold? I am just curious. I'm willing to bet you get out 6 quarts when cold and less when hot.

Exactly. On the manual it says to check the engine oil in normal operating temps as well though

Engine oil is checked with a non-running motor. This can be done before the first start of the day, or if the truck has been run for a while, let it sit for 10 minutes or so. This allows the oil to drain back to the pan and give you an accurate reading.

Essentially it is exactly the opposite of checking the transmission fluid level. Don't confuse the 2.

Please explain as I have a 1994 LC just like yours.

The 80 Series came with 3 different transmissions over the life of the series in the USA. 1991-1992 was the A440F, 1993-early 95 was A442F, 95+ was A343F. IIRC each one had a different fluid capacity, but the 440 and 442 are very close in design and size. The 343 is a smaller unit with less fluid capacity.

All of the correct information for the specific year of your vehicle is in the original owners manual or Toyota FSM. The information from Haynes or Chilton is often incorrect and shouldn't be relied on IMO.

The 80 Series came with 3 different transmissions over the life of the series in the USA. 1991-1992 was the A440F, 1993-early 95 was A442F, 95+ was A343F. IIRC each one had a different fluid capacity, but the 440 and 442 are very close in design and size. The 343 is a smaller unit with less fluid capacity.

All of the correct information for the specific year of your vehicle is in the original owners manual or Toyota FSM. The information from Haynes or Chilton is often incorrect and shouldn't be relied on IMO.

Thank you for the explanation. I will check my owners manual and see which transmission I have.

Be careful not to over-tighten the drain plug. The thing takes much less torque to strip it than the oil pan.

My '95 takes 4 qts on a refill.

Thank you for the explanation. I will check my owners manual and see which transmission I have.

You have the A442F.

Here is some information.

I circled the amount of fluid you should be getting on a "regular" drain and refill.
A442F_GENERAL.jpg
A442F_SPECS.jpg

You have the A442F.

Here is some information.

I circled the amount of fluid you should be getting on a "regular" drain and refill.

Well I drained it and only 3.7 quarts came out. Either I am super low or my trans only takes 3.7. Giving that I have driven it this way (3.7 quarts) with no issues I am leaning towards the fact that I do not take 6.3 quarts. Should I add 2 more quarts and run the risk of my trans blowing up?

It seems, then, that your tranny was low.

I would do the following:

1. Start your rig up and get it up to operating temperature (that means driving it for 15-20 minutes, not idling).

2. Check your dip stick for the measurement.

3. Drain tranny by pulling the drain plug and drain into a clean container.

4. Measure what you drain. If less than 6.3 quarts, replace with 6.3 qts. If more than 6.3 quarts, minus the difference and add that much.

I did 1, 2 and 3 yesterday and 3.7 quarts came out. I added 4 quarts. I may add another quart today and see what the drip stick reads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom