Transmission Code 63 - couple questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

westafari

Sand Cruiser
Threads
'93 80

Getting code 63 from the transmission and some weird shifting to go along with it. Wiring looks good so I guess I need to replace a solenoid. I need my truck for a trip this weekend, will be mostly highway driving. Is it going to hurt anything to drive it like that? Shifting isn't terrible and it drives fine on the highway.

Also, if anyone has done this job I'd appreciate tips. Like...do I need to drop the transmission pan to get in there or what? Just trying to figure out how much effort is gonna be involved.

Yes you need to drop the pan. The solenoids are located aft of the valve body. It's a one banana job as long as you know which solenoid to replace. I just did this recently but can't remember what code 63 is for.

Yes you need to drop the pan. The solenoids are located aft of the valve body. It's a one banana job as long as you know which solenoid to replace. I just did this recently but can't remember what code 63 is for.

Cool, thanks. FSM says 63 is #2 solenoid

#2 shift is the middle/passenger side solenoid.

That shift solenoid is part number D49422A and sells for about $50 on Transmissionpartsus.com. The dealer wants $170 and it's the same exact part.

I got the solenoids in on Friday afternoon, the same day I was planning on leaving at midnight for a 300 mile drive to the beach. Was tempted to put them but decided to roll the dice and drive the 80 to the beach as is since its a fairly flat highway trip. The first 90 miles were kinda sucky without second gear. Stopped at a red light somewhere in BFE and as I pulled away from the light SHAZAM! - my truck started shifting right again and the blinking O/D off light went away. Made it to the beach no prob and logged about 120 miles of sand wheeling and made it home no worries. I guess it just decided to fix itself when it realized it was going on a fun trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom