Transfercase Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first post but I have been lurking around this forum for quite awhile and I must say it is very informative. I am rebuilding a 1976 FJ40 which is pretty stock as far as I know. It had been really neglected from the PO and I have spent about 8 months fixing it up to be road worthy again. I had it the road for about 3 days and noticed the transfer was leaking from the front output so I went to change the seals and noticed the bearing cage is damaged. The Tranny and Tcase is out of the truck now and at a shop being looked at. My question is should I get it rebuilt or is now the time to look at upgrading things. Tranny and Tcase? Tcase only? I have not really been offroading much (because I haven't had something to do it in) but I don't want to find myself wishing I had done something different in a year or so. I have major plans for this FJ40 (powersteering, Lift of somekind, V8 Swap) but I kinda want to drive it for awhile first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar decision when I bought mine. I chose to rebuild the transfer case and put most of my time and effort into other improvements - tires, wheels, suspension, seats, onboard air, engine/tranny swap(s), etc. You can use the stock case for a long time and through plenty of mods and a ton of wheeling before it starts to become the weak link.

If the tranny is ok then just rebuild the t case. Since you say you want a V8 swap you will probably be changing the tranny later anyways.

My take- do what you have to to fix the transfer, sounds like the tranny is fine, and get the truck back on the road!
It's easy to get to caught up with mods and never enjoy a truck.

Now would be a good time for a sm420 or sm465 swap, but that would require much more time and money than sounds like what's necessary.
Rebuilding a tcase is something that can be easily accomplished at home. You may only need a used front output to bolt on, that would be quick and easy.

Thanks for the advice, I thought I should just rebuild but I wanted to confirm. In the meantime I think I found another cruiser for parts so now I will have spares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom