Transfer Case Thoughts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptHamster

TLCA #19645
Threads
Hey guys, long time no see :D

The other day I was pulling a friend's car up a steep hill and was really wishing I had 2-Low on the truck...and that got me thinking:

Does anybody familiar with FJ62 transfer cases know if it would be possible to modify the transfer case so that hitting the 4HI button on the dash would be like a simple 4WD on/off switch, and make the transfer stick only a Hi-Lo stick? What I mean is this, I guess...

Say I wanted 2 Low...All I would have to do is move the transfer stick into the L position and I would have 2 Low! But say I was in 2 Low and wanted 4 Low, all I would have to do is hit the button on the dash and I would have 4 Low! I hope this explains it pretty well...

I know the FJ62 transfer case is vacuum operated so would it be a simple matter of switching/moving some vacuum lines or would I have to modify the actual case in any way? Thanks for entertaining my goofy ideas!

(Also, would an 80 series transfer stick knob fit onto the 62's transfer stick? That'd be a nice little touch)

Pull the shifter into low range and dont lock the hubs or hit the 4hi switch, then you will be in 2lo.

Dynosoar:zilla:

On a FJ62 you can unplug the electrical connector on the transfer case that will interrupt the signal sent when you shift into low range. This will in turn give you 2-Lo. When you use the H4 button on the dash it will then go into 4 wheel drive mode.

So basically you are interrupting the electrical signal on the low range sending unit that tells the TC to activate the VSV to put it into 4 wheel drive.

See post #9 on this thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/181454-fj60-2lo-stock-transfer-case-easy-mod.html

Last edited:
You can also do this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/photos/album/850966673/pic/list

Remove one relay and replace it with a jumper. You now have 2-lo. Lo is still selected by moving the TC shift knob. 2WD/4WD is still selected by the 4WD switch.. sort of.... once in 4WD you need to stop move the TC knob into N and select 2WD, then move the TC knob into hi or lo depending on what you want to do.

There is a a wire you need to cut to make the 4WD switch work going out of 4WD without the knob dance. Without cutting the wire, there are two VS's that are fighting eachother keeping the shift out of 4WD.

If you don't mind stoppingand placing the knob in nuetral.. which you have to do now anyway when shifting out of 4WD lo, this is a simple and reversable mod.

Oh! Well I guess that's easier than I thought...

chitown40, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of where that connector on the Tcase would be would you? Or is there one in the thread and I'm just not seeing it...?

I think that would be the way to go for me...2 Low would be pretty handy to have around here. Lots of hills (and sometimes some towing) where I'm at.

I don't have a pic, but I crawled underneath mine after reading this paragraph and I found the right corrector immediately. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcfj62
OK, I went out and figured this out on my fj62. Here is just one more reason an fj62 is superior to an fj60. :D It is so simple, I don't even need a photo. On the passenger side (US Spec) of the transfer case towards the back and the top are three wires. One wire comes out of the transfer case by itself. You are going to leave this wire alone. The other two wires come out together and go to one connector about 18 inches up the wires. You can either disconnect this connector, or if you don't want to leave the connections hanging to get corroded over time, you can simply cut one of the two wires a few inches from where they go into the transfer case and fold one end you cut over about an inch and tape over it, (don't cut the single wire coming out). You will be disconnecting the switch that detects you moving the transfer case shift selector into 4 wheel drive low. Now, with the wires disconnected or cut, the transfer case will not detect you have shifted into 4 low, and will not engage the front axle. So there you go. 2 lo mod for the fj62. You now select 4 lo just like you select 4 hi with the push of a button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom