Transfer Case Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just for my own knowledge:

-What would you make out of a dirty T-Case oil ?

-Why would it get dirty ?

-How often Ishould I be changing the oil ? every 15K miles, or less ?

Al

To All,

Sorry for being redundant on this thread, I had a few minutes on hand earlier today and I went through the SOR Forum threads as well as the previous threads on this website regarding Xfer case issues.

I have most of my questions answered except for why would the oil comes out dark or black, I guess using the word dirty is not correct.

The reason I am asking, I will be dropping the Xfer case oil tomorrow, and want to make sure that if I see something out of ordinary like dark oil, I should be looking at something else also

The oil in there now is new within 6K miles. I am just acting on a tip from a technician that works at the dealer to check the oil in Xfer Case.

Note: I wheeled the truck yesterday and everything was good as it suppose to be.

Thanks guys for your feed back in advance.

My new t-case after a year came out dark/black. What oil are you using and why changing after 6000mi?
kurt

I just looked in the service manual and it covers 94 FZJ80. In the manual it covers both VC and non VC t-cases, FF and semi FF axles.
It even shows how to remove the locker from a semi floater (drum brake) axle.
I have YOKE on my face now :D
kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for the reply, I am using 75-90wt Mobile 1.

After picking up the truck yesterday from the dealer (Front Axle Work), I became a friend with one of the technicians, he was very kind and told me on my way out that he overheard the Forman saying that the Xfer case oil is dark but he never really saw him draining it out, so all I am doing is a preventative measure on my end, if I need to drop the Xfer oil, I will, and change it to new, it is only $14 in oil.

Just want to make sure if that means something is going wrong and I have to fix it, or it might lead to something wrong that I have to pay attention to, I would like to know so I can catch it before it hit by Billfold.

Thanks

Al

Al,

I recently serviced my diffs and transfer. The oil had somewhere around 18,000 miles on it and the stuff that came out of the transfer was medium golden in color and transparent. The new 75-90 Valvoline That went in (same stuff that came out) was honey blonde. The rear diff (80-90) was darker than the transfer and was transparent. The front diff was darker than the rear and opaque (I do not consider the latter a problem at this time).

Dan.

Dan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I know when I changed the Xfer case oil last time it was as you described (Medium Golden).

Anyway I am going to drain it out and put a new oil in there just as a preventative measure.

Now, I know even if whatever comes out of it is dark oil at least I have to keep an eye on it in case it leads to something else.

Thanks

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom