x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The TSM brake sucks. Couldn’t even hold a regular FJ40 an a slipped driveway after countless adjusting.

Just be a man and put a line lock in it

I have had both.

Neither should wear much as it’s used for parking not actual braking (unless it doesn’t grab well and you dive with it on, a real possibility!)

the disc brake was around 400$ and the stock drum brake parts were well over 1000$ Out of Australia.

niether hold the cruisers as well as later years stock rear axle drum parking brakes set up properly.

A late 40 series or 70 series axle will have a stock parking brake a way better option and will bolt in place on the fj55 with the only modification being the brake cable you will Have to order. A housing should cost you less than 400$.

the tcase disc brake does not hang below the bottom of the tcase.
45BFD806-02BA-48E7-8E51-9152112226FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Although I have no first hand experience, I have never heard anyone that liked the El Dorado setup. I would be concerned with the holding power of the TSM setup as well as parts availability. I would give serious consideration to an axle swap from a model with rear parking brake.

Last edited:
You posted that swapping the rear was not an option while I was typing my reply. You're options do seem limited! I'd probably do a TSM setup (or similar) along with a line lock.

My reply floated past this :doh:

I'm considering most options. The one review initially about TSM setup has me worried. My yard has several 12 percent grades and I'll be playing on the Rubicon ;)
Maybe ask in the hardcore section on the forum might get more help there for you set up.
Tommy

Could you mod the axle to accommodate a second caliper?

I believe I've picked the correct spot for this question: split case parking brake opinion/experiences.

My replies about a Dana axle are in response to "just swap to late FJ40 axles, etc".
I was meaning to put calipers on your dana 60 rear steer axle that has ebrake. I have installed custom axles that have used willwood disk brakes with calipers with ebrake not sure if they would fit the dana 60. Lots of one off custom stuff in that section just saying don't limit your search to just the 60 section. We use custom brake setups on pro mega trucks and monster trucks at the tcase / drop box for brakes not for ebake but i am sure something can be figured out maybe 2 small calipers on one disk to help hold the rig in place. Good luck
Tommy

Thank you for the heads up. That clears that option off the table in a hurry :flush:

The leverage of the mechanism is just completely wrong for a completely mechanical setup.

Line lock does nothing in the case of brakes going bad. Thus not an option for me.

I'm going to argue this a little bit further. Your logic against a line lock is that brakes could go bad, but why not just install a line lock in both brake circuits?
Also, aren't you far more likely with the way you will be using this rig to have a broken driveline rather then brake parts going bad with age when everything is going to be new? A broken rear driveshaft means a T-case parking brake does nothing.

What I would do if I wanted the best parking brake ever would be a foot pedal operating a master cylinder with a gravity lock on the pedal, and either a caliper on the T-case or front/rear axle. Or both. Up to you. You could buy good quality parts to build this system and it would be less then the TSM setup I think. Just labor intensive.

Also, just to clarify, 60's never had parking brakes on the transfer cases from the factory. Only Non-US 40's

Last edited:
Modern cars have electronic parking brakes built into the caliper. AFAIK it's just power and ground like a window motor. So you would have to run power on a dpdt momentary switch. You could mount a small rotor to the tcase and use a custom bracket for the caliper. A used one from say a Subaru should not be tough to find or buy one new. You could even plumb the hydraulic part of it into the brake hydraulic circuit with a proportioning valve so you have a 5TH caliper during normal braking. I would do this to my 40 but I'm too busy lately.

I have the OEM split case e-brake parts John.
I’ll remind you next time.
😎
Georg
Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Obviously this isn't a street vehicle so the e brake is just for holding, not emergency stops, so do a simple reroute of one of the brake lines from the master to the dash and interrupt it with a Swagelok valve. Swagelok is US made and you can call the local reps.
They are great for answering questions and giving the correct part numbers as far as fittings and pressure handling. I've run as many as four, one per wheel , when turn brakes were required. One is enough for an e brake. two will insure you'll have valid e brakes in the worst possible situation. They won't pass DOT since e-brakes are supposed to be a separate, mechanical circuit but in this case you won't be leaving them on for a weekend parked on a San Francisco hill street.

Swagelok Southwest | Swagelok

something like this...
1574782693562.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom