Transfer Case Fill Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guster

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

The threads in the fill plug hole on my transfer case are stripped. I have some newbie questions about using a Helicoil thread repair kit to fix the problem:
1. Is 18mm x 1.50 the correct size? I would like to keep the original size so I can still use the bypass hose from the transmission fill plug.
2. Can this be done with the transfer case installed?
3. I have never used a thread repair kit, how likely is it that I fubar the plug hole and have to seek professional help?
4. Do they make a kit for 18 x 1.50? The largest I can find is 12 x 1.75.

Thanks!
Kevin

Here's a LINK

The other thing you might try is to get one of those aftermarket plugs from SOR and others with the allen head. They're longer than stock and will sometimes be able to grab the lower threads if they're still good.

I bought the tool that was used in the above link. (expensive) Heli coil wouldn't work because there is not enough material for it to bite into. The wall of the case is very thin at that point.

In the above link, if you send him your split housing, he'll do the repair for $30 or so...

And I wouldn't do it with the t'case still attached.

Actually, now that I see you're in OR, I think he is close to you... But maybe he's in WA ?? Yeah, Olympia WA.

helicoli kits require drilling out the threads that are there. The chips and drillings cannot be prevented from entering the case. I doubt you could do this on the vehicle. The case should be removed. Then other repair methods come into play.

I would try the longer threaded plugs and or some stuff like Decon repair putty. It cures like metal. If you intalled a bushing in the right threads with this. Then let it cure. Then you could use a smaller diameter plug.

I forgot, a cruiser repair shop near me fixes this by drilling out the hole and tapping with a 1/2" NPT, then using a tapered plug.

dang... I wish I had known about this when my TC was all pulled apart... .....Ah well....
Great info non the less....

Thanks for the replies. As I'm sure you can tell I'm new to this but enjoy getting in there and trying to fix stuff. Can the transfer case housing that has the fill plug be easily removed without dropping the transmission and t-case? I have never removed a transmission and would love to learn but not yet.

Thanks!
Kevin

Thanks for the replies. As I'm sure you can tell I'm new to this but enjoy getting in there and trying to fix stuff. Can the transfer case housing that has the fill plug be easily removed without dropping the transmission and t-case? I have never removed a transmission and would love to learn but not yet.

Thanks!
Kevin

I see this question asked a lot, and the general answer seems to be that yes, it its possible, but it will add a surprising degree of complexity vs dropping the trans / t'case combo and splitting it, then making your repairs.

I can tell you from my experience, rebuilding my t'case, I sure as Hell would not want to do it lying on my back, juggling all those gears and shafts and trying to align the case and covers; let alone cleaning the mating surfaces so it doesn't leak on reassembly.

The trans/ t'case combo is surprisingly easy to drop and remove - even easier if you can get a extra set of hands or two and one of these LINK (Frequently on sale), but you can do it with a regular floor jack, if you're careful.

FSM is your friend.

Alright, I've ordered the FSMs and stopped by Harbor Freight to see if they had a transmission jack on sale. They have this one on sale for $99. I guess I'll give dropping the transmission a try, it will be good practice for the far off day of putting in a 5-speed.

just use some duct tape... duct tape fixes everything. :)

Along with my letherman or my swiss army .. don't leave your home without it .. ( 'em )

Well, I was able to get the transmission out but I did not give myself enough clearance to roll it out. My floor jack is busy supporting the engine so I guess Harbor Freight will be seeing me again tomorrow.
tranny.jpg
clutch.jpg

Last edited:
I would try the longer threaded plugs and or some stuff like Decon repair putty. It cures like metal.

I believe this product is called "DEVCON".
This stuff is super rock hard when it cures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom