transfer case delema (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was wondering if there was a transfer case out there that can bolt up to my sm420. i got the sm420 at a steal for only 25 bucks but i need a transfer case because i really don't feel like spending 461.02 for an advanced adapters kit to make that transmission work with my transfer case. I am looking for something that will required little modification because i would like to keep my stock axels. so i am looking for a transfer case that will mount to an sm420 yet keep the lines of my cruiser decent so i will not have to change my axels . thanks to anyone who respondes and i hope someone has the answer out there.

Merc :cheers:

Not going to happen, buy an adapter because thats the only option with the 420.

http://www.iei.net/~msmythe/ and look up his SpaceGhost plate adapter. MUCH cheaper than an AA plate....hopefully he has a batch in stock.

IIRC, any t-case behind a 420 was divorced and will require major fab work to install...more $$ than it's worth.

I agree, got with spaceghost's if he has some. I have one and it is a great adapter. If he is not making them, you could try extreme bends.

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but blame the search feature...

I'm looking for SM420 to either a 3 or 4 spd TC adapter. Been watching ebay, & FS section but nothing is coming up.

Spaceghost is out of adapters and isn't planning on making any more right now. Extreme Bends is still and option but...

Man-A-Fre appears to have the AA 50-2602 (ADVANCE ADAPTER KIT SM420 TRANS TO LC 16 SPLINE TRANSFER) on clearance for $309.00. Seems like a bargin as AA still wants $461.02 for it.

Anyone using the AA setup? Pros? Cons? I realize it is a little longer than the plate adapters. Looks like I'm putting in a new shaft in either the Tranny or TC too. What's the story with these?

I installed the plate style adapter in my 40 back in '93. It works great, and you do not have to change any shafts, provided you use a ten spline(three-speed) t-case.

I prefer the shorter overall lenght of the plate set up.

Good luck!

-Steve

AA adapter

I got an AA adapter many years ago, long before I'd heard of plate adapters. Actually, it was long before I learned how to do this work myself and actually paid a shop to do the SM420 install for me. I think now that I probably could do a better job myself than the shop did, especially since I've changed most of that work myself over the years.

There is a pad on the AA adapter that can be used with a Chevtytranny mount to hold up the unit. The adapter is something like 4.5" long, thus is near the limit of the reach on the speedo and the P-brake cables. It also means something must be fabbed up for the T-case linkage to span the extra distance. In my installation, I must remove the adapter with the t-case, as the length of the adapter put the t-case too far to the rear to clear the body sheetmetal , the shafy is still in the adapter when there's no more rearward motion available. Only a problem when you don't know it.

I've had original adapter replaced at no charge by Advanced Adapters due to cracking, the newer one had many strengthening ribs in the casting that weren't on the original. My part number will also work for a certain Jeep combo (Dana 20 I think??) so there's a slightly wider set of customers for it, should I ever try and sell it off. The length of the adapter also puts the front driveshaft u-joint adjacent to the SM420 case, which required grinding for clearance- it seems to me this wouldn't be an issue with a shorter adapter.

If I knew then what I know now I think I'd try a plate adapter - although it seems as if the many various suppliers seem to come and go - the first one I became aware of was Wardens, and then Spaceghost..... AA is still in business - of which I was glad when I had a problem 5 years after the original install. The original job was maybe 12 years ago.

Thanks for the info on the AA setup Desertdave. Sounds like the plate style is the way to go. I guess I'll give Canada a call unless something comes up on ebay soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom