trans problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 08 fj and wondering if anyone had problems with the trans. If I drive between 50-55 kph or 30-33 mph and let off the gas pedal most of the time it feels like it up shift to 4th gear and if I just put in neutral and back down in drive it feels like it disengage and coast like it suppose to. My dealer says he cannot replicate the problem even though they had the car for three days. Any help would be appreciated as I am going back to the dealer. It would be nice if someone had that problem and how they got it solved. btw only 10358 km on the fj. If you wish to answer you may email me back at gdesjard@eastlink.ca
Rusty1:bang:

Hi all
Still have problem with the trammy but worse than before. Was at the dealer last week and talk to thjem about it. I asked to have a new trammy installed. They want to do a study on it for a couple of days then see if it will be approved by Toyota in Toronto. Today while driving the red light that indicates the transfer case is disengaged started blinking. I called the dealer and they had no idea what could cause it, I was about 15 miles from home asked them if I could still drive it and they figured it would not hurt it. So far so good going to the dealer next week, will keep you posted of the results.
Rusty1

I had a similar problem, and it got worse and worse over time.
After 2-3 months it got so bad when I was starting from a full stop on a hill, the tranny would slip so bad I'd roll backwards and not go into gear. Where I live has a lot of hills, so this was a big problem to avoid rolling into the person behind me. When it did eventually go into gear...SLAM! On the highway, it acted like yours. One time I remember passing a slow car, and the tranny stuck in 3rd and would not come out. The entire dashboard lit up with every possible light. I had to pull over (which was dangerous). I stopped, looked under the FJ (didn't see anything leaking). Got back in, started it, it was fine and all the lights went off.

Tranny had to be replaced. Took 2 days once they got the new one in. They gave me a rental for that time.

Hi again
Thanks for the response fjcthulhu, this is going to give me some ammunition to go on when I go back to the dealer in a week or so. I printed it so they can see I am not the only one with this problem. Would appreciate if anyone else had this problem to post it so I can bring it to their attention.
Rusty1

Is this an automatic tranny or manual?

Is your truck lifted/leveled? I'm wondering if the sensor that detects uphills/downhills needs to be recalibrated. It's my understanding that the truck is supposed to downshift when it detects a 'nose down' attitude. This happened to a friend's FJ after we levelled it.

Hope this helps... keep us posted.

hi all
I was at the dealer ref my trans. If you recall I had problems with the shifting. Well they said they could not replicate the problem so they kind of washed their hands of the whole thing. I have an appointment with another dealer here in town will see what they have to say about it. My appointment is on the 3rd Sept.. Will keep all posted of the results.Rusty1

wouldnt be an appointment here. would just drive ot in tell them to fix or i raise 3 kinds of hell in front of every costomer they got. bet it gets fixed then, give it a try. it will work.

You should have the dealer make an appointment for the district service mgr for Toyota to meet with you and also call the 800 number, this will generate a call from Toyota to the dealer and the dealer has to respond.
Or let them keep the truck for a few days and have the service mgr drive your car home and back and see if the trans acts up. Dealers get paided on warranty work so it's not like they have to pay to fix your truck. This will get worked out. Good luck

Lou

BTW: Getting upset and at the dealer won't get your truck fixed, getting your trans to act up at the dealership will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom