Tranmission fluid and filter change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
Now that I have the diffs & transfer case fluids changed I want to do the same to the transmission on my '99 100. I read the excellent post for changing the tranny fluid on an 80 series. Does anyone know if the 100 is basically the same procedure? And on the 80 post no one mentioned replacing the transmission filter?
I would assume Toyota uses a tranny filter?

I just found the thread for this information. Will get this done this weekend...

Did you find out if you need to replace the seal/gasket from the transmission pan? Do you have any pictures? I got a little confused trying to read all the threads and finding the right one pertaining to the 100 series. Thanks.

The auto trans pan uses a sealer that comes in a tube. I got mine from the Toyota parts dept. The part # is 00295-01281. It says on the box: Toyota seal packing 1281 (FIPG) / For Transaxle Case. But it can be used for the trans pan too. This may be an old # because I bought this 4 or 5 years ago. I havn't pulled the pan off yet so I don't know what to expect.

I have been just doing a drain & full with Mobil 1 ATF on mine. When I do this, it only takes 3 & 3/4 qts of ATF to fill back up. I only have 27,000 miles on my 2000 but I'll have to pull the pan one of these days!

Last edited:
Old Grump is right about the seal being in a tube (call Cruiser Dan). Toyota has a SST (special service tool) for removing the pan with out damage. Looked to me like a thin wedge attached to a piece of steel at 90 degrees so I doubt it's indispensable.

No filter just a screen.

Later 80 series (95-97) and 100 series (98-2003) both used the A343F transmission so most procedures should be similar.

Last edited:
while you are at it you should take the extra fifteen minutes and flush the system also. it's not that hard to do and then you get the ATF in the torque converter and oil cooler changed also. I just did mine before CM06 and got some nasty ATF out.

job takes two people, one to start the cruiser and shift gears, one to aim the return line :) .

drain and refill transmission, pull return line on the transmission(comes from oil cooler) start the cruiser and run the transmission through the gears when you get back to park turn off motor refill tranny and repeat until clean ATF comes out of the disconnected return line. reconnect return line, check the level top off if needed. I checked mine often after and put another quart in over a few days.

I called toyota before I started and asked how many quarts of ATF they go through for a transmission flush and they said 15-18 quarts. I went through about 16 quarts of Moible 1 ATF to do this but well worth the money.

THis might be the redneck way to do it but it does the trick and I didn't have to pay anyone to do it. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom