Trailer lights to match FJ60 lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I will be redoing the rear lights on my 5x8 cargo/camper trailer this winter and I want to add back-up lights to the trailer. I currently have a flat 4 connector running from a Hoppy adapter.

Can I use/build a set-up that uses the FJ60 rear lights as signal triggers for relays to power matching lights on the trailer? (am I making sense?) Or is there an adapter that would be "better" to use that would give me back-up lights.

I will probably need to switch to a 7 pin round harness for the trailer anyway as I will be adding power to charge the trailer house battery while driving.

Thanks, and sorry for the vague question...

Mark

Maybe this answers my question..

faq043_aa_600.jpg

It is possible many different ways. As you suggested I would go with relays. In fact I'd go with relays for all of the lights. I've posted a diagram in the past of how to make the conversion that your Hoppy does with just relays, but you could use the Hoppy to drive the relays too.

As far as charging the trailer battery(ies) goes, you can't do a good job of it using any of the trailer light connectors, too much voltage drop in the contacts and too much voltage drop in the max wire gauge that they'll allow for that length of circuit (include the ground path length). Look at max alternator voltage & compare to the ideal charge voltage the mfg lists for your trailer battery(ies). I think that you'll find that there is not much margin. Can find how to calc voltage drop online and some have cable size charts for amps & length of run at several different voltage drop percentages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom