Trailer a Skidsteer with a 200 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure, but I used to haul a loaded car trailer with mine, so I don't see why not. What does it weigh?

Weight limit is 8300 lbs. Does it and the trailer weigh more than that?

Looks like a typical Bobcat runs about 5000 lbs and a double axle trailer to handle that weight may be close to a ton. So, watch the overall weight, including associated equipment and tongue weight and you may be ok. Regular towing of that kind of thing, with all the tools and equipment with it, might call for a pickup truck?

5000lb Bobcat + ~2500 trailer. No problemo. She'll tow it fine.

Notes:
- 10-15% tongue weight is a good thing. Less tongue weight can and will actually lead to sway instability.
- If trailer has surge brakes, be cautious on steep long descents. Leaning on engine braking inherently causes trailer surge brakes to be engaged. With a heavy load and long enough hill, this will fade the trailer brakes.

Last edited:
Looks like a typical Bobcat runs about 5000 lbs and a double axle trailer to handle that weight may be close to a ton. So, watch the overall weight, including associated equipment and tongue weight and you may be ok. Regular towing of that kind of thing, with all the tools and equipment with it, might call for a pickup truck?
Just a FYI, I bought a new Kubota SSV65 today it's 6600 lbs so the weight differs by Mfgr. and model.

Just a FYI, I bought a new Kubota SSV65 today it's 6600 lbs so the weight differs by Mfgr. and model.
Agreed, I've ran some that are over 8klbs. It's also going to depend on the trailer. I've put one in my dump trailer and having the weight that high it's an uncomfortable feeling even with a F350. Are you buying one? I ask because any equipment rental place I've dealt with won't rent a trailer without at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Having worked in the heavy equipment rental business for some time, it Can be done, but depends on many things. Skids steers range from about 3000# - 12000#. As mentioned above, most rental places won’t let you rent a tandem Equipment trailer with less than 3/4 ton with electric brakes. Just remember that tow ratings are based on best case scenario. Throw in an improperly loaded trailer, wet roads, hills, traffic, etc, and it can be disastrous in a hurry.
If in doubt, pay the $200-300 to have the machine delivered, it will almost always be with it once you factor your time plus the risk.
Good luck, stay safe.

Having worked in the heavy equipment rental business for some time, it Can be done, but depends on many things. Skids steers range from about 3000# - 12000#. As mentioned above, most rental places won’t let you rent a tandem Equipment trailer with less than 3/4 ton with electric brakes. Just remember that tow ratings are based on best case scenario. Throw in an improperly loaded trailer, wet roads, hills, traffic, etc, and it can be disastrous in a hurry.
If in doubt, pay the $200-300 to have the machine delivered, it will almost always be with it once you factor your time plus the risk.
Good luck, stay safe.
Words of wisdom from @JtFSU. You might be able to pull it but can you stop it SAFELY?

Words of wisdom from @JtFSU. You might be able to pull it but can you stop it SAFELY?
Yep! The Tundra pulled a 300,000 lb space shuttle. But it was at like .5mph on a trailer with over 100 tires and it own powered braking system. Just because it WILL pull it does not mean it’s a good idea.
And I’ll be the first to admit I am the kettle in this conversation.

I don't hesitate to use my 200-series as many would use an HD truck. In a lot of ways, it's underpinnings are as strong. It weighs as much as some configurations of 3/4 ton pickups which is a big variable to stability. That said, it does have a shorter wheelbase than most trucks. Stability has never been an issue, but it's surely something to be aware of. I do recommend heeding @JtFSU advice.

Heaviest I've ever towed was into the 10k range. Overfilled dump trailer. Not recommended, especially for someone unseasoned to towing, but she did the deed.

1588370041247.png

Mea culpa, I've hauled some ridiculous loads with my 200 too. Not recommending it for others, but they are pretty great at towing.

Good luck, stay safe.
Sounds like it is not a good idea.

What are your thoughts pulling a 6X12 or 7X14 with various tools, or a Kubota RTV for 250 or do on highways? Is pulling a car trailer with a car too much?

What are your thoughts pulling a 6X12 or 7X14 with various tools, or a Kubota RTV for 250 or do on highways? Is pulling a car trailer with a car too much?
I have pulled a car trailer with a car many times with the 200.

The RTV shouldn't be a problem. I think it gets sketchy, for me at least, is when the towed load approaches or exceeds the tow vehicle. Another way to approach it is while you are an excellent driver it's the idiot texting or putting on makeup that will cause you grief.

What do they weigh?

I don't hesitate to use my 200-series as many would use an HD truck. In a lot of ways, it's underpinnings are as strong. It weighs as much as some configurations of 3/4 ton pickups which is a big variable to stability. That said, it does have a shorter wheelbase than most trucks. Stability has never been an issue, but it's surely something to be aware of. I do recommend heeding @JtFSU advice.

Heaviest I've ever towed was into the 10k range. Overfilled dump trailer. Not recommended, especially for someone unseasoned to towing, but she did the deed.

View attachment 2291950
I’m thinking about using mine solely around the farm with a dump trailer. It’s a triple axle dump that weighs 4500lbs empty. I currently pull it around with a 2500 but that truck has been nothing but problems. No telling what it weighs when I get it loaded up as I never leave the property, just load it and dump it elsewhere. Any non foreseen issues with doing this?

Around the farm which I'm assuming to be low speeds? Is there surge brakes?

So long as your suspension setup can support and brake the load, it should be okay. Low range can be useful. Sway is not really an issue at low speeds.

Just be aware that once a trailer has too much weight advantage over the tow vehicle, mix that with potential grades and low grip surfaces, it can and will take the tow vehicle for a ride. Keep the ball close and tight to the rear bumper so it doesn't give the trailer additional leverage on the short wheelbase. A triple axle dump trailer would be easy to overload with heavy fill/dirt/material so you'll want to be conscious of what your asking the LC to do.

Last edited:
I have hauled some of our RTVs (Kubota 900s) and they are easy. Maybe 2500 lbs empty. A full up Bobcat. I'll pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom