trail tool storage - sockets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys use to store sockets for the trail?

I carry all my tools in two tool bags that I got from Sears. My sockets are on strips, sorted by standard(metric/standard), drive size, bolt size, and type(6-pt/12-pt). All of my adapters, extensions, and u-joints are on a seperate strip.

This works out VERY nicely. I can easily tell which sockets are missing simply by looking at the strips, and it has saved me a few sockets in just the last 3 months since I organized them like this. I've found that the bags take up a lot less room than a hard tool box and make far less noise.

Ary

I carry all my tools in two tool bags that I got from Sears. My sockets are on strips, sorted by standard(metric/standard), drive size, bolt size, and type(6-pt/12-pt). All of my adapters, extensions, and u-joints are on a seperate strip.

This works out VERY nicely. I can easily tell which sockets are missing simply by looking at the strips, and it has saved me a few sockets in just the last 3 months since I organized them like this. I've found that the bags take up a lot less room than a hard tool box and make far less noise.

Ary

Are the strips magnetic?

Are the strips magnetic?

I've got some strips, but, they are really old, like 23 years old.

Mine are metal and not magnetic, The sockets kinda snap onto metal clips that match up to the drive hole in the socket. I think Craftsman has plastic strips now. I've got more sockets than strips, was just fumbling around today trying to find a spark plug socket in the bottom of a tool bag amongst about 25 various sized loose sockets...gotta get more strips thinks I..

I've got the plastic ones High Desert referred to. It took about 6 strips and a bunch of extra clips(the strips come with some, but not enough) to get all my sockets neatly organized.

These are the strips I use:

Here's the link: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...&subcat=Socket+Accessories&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I found it was cheaper to buy an entire extra set just to use for the extra clips, than to buy the clips individually.

I think I spent about $60 total between the strips, extra clips, and two tool bags. It was definately money well spent IMO, made my wrenching life so much easier.

Ary

I use the ones by (Lisle?). They're magnetic and hold the shallow and deep set. They're the same ones sold at Sears. I use them at work as well and really like them. Alot easier than the clip type IMO.

I haven't been to Wasilla in over a year:D(usually on my way out to Maude road)

Good idea for the sockets. I'll need to get some of those strips.

Now, what about wrenches? They used to come with rolls, now they all come in plastic mounts most of which are not reusable once you open them. Anyone know where to get good, old fashioned, wrench rolls that don't cost $30 each?

I use the ones by (Lisle?). They're magnetic and hold the shallow and deep set. They're the same ones sold at Sears. I use them at work as well and really like them. Alot easier than the clip type IMO.

I don't care for the magnetic type as everything in my tool bag sticks to them.

I like the socket strips 'cause my tools tend to get bounced around quite a bit.

As for wrenches, I use those cheap carabiners that lots of companies give away as key chains. I had a couple laying around and they work great, one for each type(metric/standard).

Ary

I keep my wrenches together with little velcro straps. Nothing fancy but it does the trick.
3-6-07 005.jpg

My Christmas present this year from my mother was wrench wrap doohinkuses that she made herself.

She used some upholstery fabric remnants that she picked up for free. I would have preferred canvas or almost anything else but it works great.

If you are secure in your manhood and have a sewing machine it is a very easy and cheap thing to do.

Good idea for the sockets. I'll need to get some of those strips.

Now, what about wrenches? They used to come with rolls, now they all come in plastic mounts most of which are not reusable once you open them. Anyone know where to get good, old fashioned, wrench rolls that don't cost $30 each?
I keep mine on carabieners, two for metric and one for SAE since I carry a lot more metric sizes than SAE. I use the cheap type labeled "Not For Climbing". You can get a bunch at Harbor freight for around $2. Aside from keeping them organized they store a lot more compactly than in a roll.

I keep mine on carabieners, two for metric and one for SAE since I carry a lot more metric sizes than SAE. I use the cheap type labeled "Not For Climbing". You can get a bunch at Harbor freight for around $2. Aside from keeping them organized they store a lot more compactly than in a roll.

Dang Dan...that's a great idea!

What, is he special or something? I said the same damn thing up above ;p

Hey...you're right you did mention it above...somehow I missed it. You get a carrot! So now...since RustyTLC apparently stole it from your post I'll have to retract my kudos to him and pass them to you :D .

Hey...you're right you did mention it above...somehow I missed it. You get a carrot! So now...since RustyTLC apparently stole it from your post I'll have to retract my kudos to him and pass them to you :D .

I think I read about it here on Mud a couple of years ago, so somebody else altogether deserves the kudos.

Just moved to Wasilla last June. Love it out here. Now I'm officially valley trash... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom